Used 2001 Subaru Outback Limited Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Subaru Outback Sedan - Consumer Reviews

Limited 2.5L 4-cyl. AWD 4-speed Automatic - (12 reviews )

Last Subaru I'll own
By Enough

2001 Subaru Outback Sedan Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is my 3rd Subaru. I bought it because the first 2 were bulletproof -- no problems. We are at 77k miles now. The head gasket had to be replaced at 72k. Yes it was covered since the car had the coolant treatment. Asking around after it happened, this is now a common problem with the 2.5 engine. Now, the transmission needs to be rebuilt. According to a local transmission shop (not the dealership) 77k on this transmission is good! He often sees them with less. Often? Somewhere Subaru lost the reliability that kept me coming back. The company has refused requests to repair the vehicle. They've offered token gestures like a rebate on a new car purchase. I'm done with Subaru.

Looks good sitting still. Good thing, since if you drive it, you'll have to fix it.

RELIABILITY! The old Subarus would run to 200k miles without problems. NOT NOW!

Great car and an attention-getter
By Outbacker

2001 Subaru Outback Sedan Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I drive this car all of the time. I sell insurance; so I am on the road alot. This is one smooth running car. I will be driving over eighty without even noticing it if I am not carefull. i wish that it was a little bit faster from a dead stop, but it such a good running car on the highway. My back does not hurt over long distances with this car as it has with other vehicles. I nearly always get lots of attention when I am in this car. It is a rare car and looks great. People of all ages will stare at it or say something good about it. My first trip to Florida got me 30 MPG on the highway when I set the cruise at the speed limit. Great Car!

Reliability, looks, smoothness of ride, seldom seen vehicle and the good attention. All wheel drive has proven handy for getting to clients with sand for driveways in South Carolina. Handles great on wet roads.

Turbo-charger. A little more head-room for tall drivers.

Subaru AWD Sedan Limited
By Cletus

2001 Subaru Outback Sedan Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Overall very nice vehicle. Interior/Exterior design and styling are great. Highly recommend

AWD, Color and Styling

Need to have the A/C condensor moved or shrouded to protect from road debris punctures.

Nice, solid ride
By auburncrew

2001 Subaru Outback Sedan Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

The Outback Limited sedan is a well-made, fun-to-drive car that handles poor weather, dirt roads and twisty turns like a champ. But it's equally at home on the interstate, where it is rock-solid; I have to set the cruise to near the legal limit, otherwise, I'll be cruising at 90 mph without realizing it. It's got all you could ever want in a sedan: leather, sunroof, all-wheel-drive ... Even better once I ditched the Firestones for Michelin X-ones.

Solid build, all-whell-drive, handling, nice interior.

Ditch the stock Firestones for Michelins immediately!

Outback rocks!
By oareagle

2001 Subaru Outback Sedan Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Got the Outback limited sedan for a steal at just under $18,000 because it had been sitting on the dealer's lot for almost a year. I personally like the sedan design better than the Outback wagon design. It's a great car, with a classy, comfortable leather interior and a rugged all-wheel-drive system that doesn't mind a minor trail or two. It's not as fun to throw around in the slalom as my 2001 Forester, but part of that can be attributed to the fact that my Forester is a five speed, and you're stuck with an auto tranny in the limited sedan. The standard Firestones also don't grip as well as the Michelin X-ones I put on my Forester.

My "grown-up" car. Automatic tranmission and great power leather seating make it a great car for long interstate trips. Standard all-wheel-drive is the best thing about all Subarus.

The OEM Firestones are heading to the landfill first chance I get. I also wish a five-speed manual were available in the limited sedan.