Used 2001 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean Edition Wagon Consumer Reviews - 22 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

2001 Subaru Outback Wagon

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

120k and still a great car
By Larry

2001 Subaru Outback Wagon L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We now have 120k on our Suby. Yes, we had to replace head gaskets at 100k miles. And we had a fuel pump go at 105k, but since then our car has been bullet proof, as it was before these problems. It is regularly used to go up into the mountains and for a brief period I towed a trailer and go kart with it. This is my wife's car and while I would appreciate better gear ratio and spacing, she loves driving it. Seven years old and still going strong. My fourth Suby and not my last.

Utility, cargo space, interior and back seat comfort.

Better gearing to take more advantage of the 6 cylinder motor.

Great Car
By Len

2001 Subaru Outback Wagon L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Other than a very poor heated seat button location the car is great. This car when new would be overpriced but used is a great value.

4 wheel drive.

Heated seat buttons. Dash cup holder poor location. No fade out interior lighting.

Expensive repair, lousy mpg
By Pdx Ower

2001 Subaru Outback Wagon L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Try 17-19 mpg in mixed driving even on non-ethanol gas which is only 6 months a year around here. I get 25 mpg on an open highway on cruise control on good gas. My experience has been tire blowout at 25K miles, an expensive fuel injector around 30k miles, the cargo area interior cover before 30k miles, the serpentine belt at 40k miles, and the very expensive leaking valve gasket at 50k miles. Altogether, I have experienced higher than usual repair incidence of very expensive repairs, and long before they are due for normal maintenance. There were two recall notices, also.

The safety features. The power to easily pass others at highway speeds. The sound system. The AWD control.

Larger cup holders. Sturdier cup holder for back seat.

LL Bean Outback
By cc

2001 Subaru Outback Wagon L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I love my LL Bean Outback. It's 2 toned which makes it look like a small SUV. The 6 cylinders give me plenty of get up and go. It has and excellently smooth ride and gets fairly good mileage on the highway, not quite as good in city driving. It has loads of room to pack and haul things. I would buy a new one today but Subarus last forever. At 50,000 miles all I needed was fluids checked and an oil change.

Loads of room to haul things and extremely comfortable ride.

I would recommend that the bottom of the back seat fold up towards the front seat (like the old Chevy Citation) to provide a flat hauling surface. Also if you could turn off the passenger front air bag. (I travel with a small dog.) Front moon roof should slide open all the way, not just raise.

Great Cruiser
By slivka

2001 Subaru Outback Wagon L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The car is a great freeway cruiser. The engine is very smooth and quiet. At freeway speeds RPMs are well bellow 3000. Little wind noise does get in (especially around window seals) and rear differential whines a bit at around 70mph, but overall the cabin stays quiet. Soft suspension and raised ground clearance make Outback a comfy ride when the pavement ends. Lazy automatic, on the other hand, kills performance and makes it hard to control the car at slow speeds when “off-roading”.

Horrible 4-speed auto. It does shift smoothly and does not gear-hunt. But the gears are too widely spaced and too tall. It absolutely kill the performance that 212hp H6 provides. Up-shifts come way too early, while down-shift do not happen unless floored. I bet the manual H4 outperforms the auto H6!