2001 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
I love this car!
By Patty on 02/26/05 08:45 AM (PST)

2001 Subaru Outback Wagon L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I rented an Outback when I was working in Idaho last winter, and I really liked the way it handled. I needed a new car because my brother's old Honda was getting to be too old. And I just wanted something new. In fact, I test drove a 2004 Outback, but the dealer had a 2001 Outback LL Bean edition with a larger engine and lots of extras for the same price as the new 2004. I'm sure I paid too much 'cause I bought it immediately and I didn't know whether they would even deal on a used car, but I've never regretted buying it. I own a 1984 Porsche 944 that I didn't even drive last summer because I was still in love with my Subaru Outback. I drive a lot for work, and I'm very happy with this car.

Goodie
By subbies on 11/16/04 23:05 PM (PST)

2001 Subaru Outback Wagon L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Good car in and out. At 55000 mile, it has a little wind noise+the plug in the back of the mirror falls off sometimes causing the compass to turn off. Other than that, the drive is great.

LL Bean Bust
By alvags on 05/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Outback Wagon L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We've had problems with the brakes over and over again. The car only has 39,000 mi. and it has been in for brakes three times and a very weird noise in the rear differential. They would not repair the differential stating that it was "normal" but several mechanics we consulted agreed that it is far from a normal sound. Very unsettling...

1st Year LL Bean Outback
By LLBeaner on 05/05/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Outback Wagon L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I love this car! Would recommend it to anyone!

I got a lemon!
By fedup withrepairs on 04/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Outback Wagon L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Drives great in snow and ice but has had multiple mechanical problems including:Throttle problems,twice, accelerating suddenly and not wanting to gear down, a recall due to the cruise control,a second recall for some undercarriage problem that could have caused serious breakdown,two brake jobs and rotor broblems, sticking lift gate and now computer problems and a host of minor gliches that required a day here and there in the shop. I dread to think what is next and the car just turned three this December!!!.

My Big Red
By Bluesky821 on 02/08/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Subaru Outback Wagon L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Love this car. Only faults were two recalls and brakes had to be done before their time but half cost was covered by the warranty.

Nice but some erg issues
By jeep8 on 01/25/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Subaru Outback Wagon L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Overall we like the Outback, but there are a few odd ergonomic issues. The switch for the sunroof needs to be held down to open or close. Since the sunroof has build in stops, to close you hold down until it stops moving, release the button, hold down again (repeat) Due to the short winshield (the roof slopes up in front) tall drivers (6'2") may have an issue with the rearview mirror creating a nasty blindspot. Also on rough roads your head may bump on the side handle (roof is narrow). A shorter person will not have these problems. As for quality I rank the Subaru below Toyota/Honda but above the Big Three. This is our second Subaru.

Happy Owner
By SuperSubu on 08/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Outback Wagon L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

No complaints...runs perfectly and I get many compliments. Tires are a bit noisy - I will not put the same ones on when I replace them.

Great Car
By rkinn on 04/05/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Subaru Outback Wagon L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have 60000 miles on my LL Bean Outback with the 3.0 6 cyc. Only problems were handled by the dealer. We had a wind noise which was corrected by glueing the molding around the windshield. The 6 cyl engine is more powerful than quick. Outback has the top end power that loafs at highway speeds of 70 to 80 or 90. I bought the LL Bean for the engine and the side airbags. Wish they would have been options on the base model. Car has a few blind spots. Only pet peeve happens when the passager lowers their sunvisor, it will hit the rearview mirror and the driver must readjust. I wish it was a larger single roof the opened for the driver.

LL Ban: Amazing Grace
By Dogman7 on 04/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Outback Wagon L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

In myfifth moth of ownership, with a 60- mile daily commute. I am 1005pleased with the car. I traded and Explorer Eddie Bauer and my wife has a Saab 9-5 wagon. This car is better than either. The Explorer felt agricultural by comparison, and while the Saab is comparable, it's not worth the extra 10 grand. (Proof: We take the Subie on road trips.) This car is comfortable, good-handling, quiet, and sturdy.