2001 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
Has Been Great - Time to Move On
By Sitruk on 08/30/08 15:36 PM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Yes, this car has been wonderful to drive, however I have struggled with the maintenance end of the car/owner relationship. Since my purchase in March, 2003, I have averaged 9 cents/mi in maint costs since this car came 'into the word' - highlighted by a head gasket replacement in 2005 ($2200) (might as well also do the timing belt at the same time!) Also, I am now after increased fuel economy based on my daily commute, thus feel it is time to part ways.

I finally found a car, I can trust !!
By Marge Jesberger on 08/19/08 11:25 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

My daughter wanted to buy my 2001 Subaru. I told her "over my dead body" and I meant it literally. I have had my share of unreliable transportation over the years, one car's transmission even gave up, when we were driving it out of a showroom. When we went looking for a new car (this car was a demo so it was practically new), my husband (who takes care of our finances) almost didn't buy it. The salesman wasn't ready to budge another 100 dollars off. If we would have walked away from this car, I would have been heart broken. It is now 2008 and I think it has been in the garage maybe 4 times. I can depend on it day after day to get me to work, shopping, wherever. I will never take it for granted.

Excellent all-around car
By surfinbird on 01/03/08 00:40 AM (PST)

2001 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Wonderful car. The boxer 4 has a unique sound and feel. It's a bit thirsty - the best mileage I've gotten is 28 mpg. Build quality is first rate. Suspension is soft enough for comfortable distance driving but firm enough for the twisties. Seats are very comfortable. After all these years that car still cleans up and looks like new. The all wheel drive is very comforting on long trips in poor weather. This is a car that car be driven long distances in great comfort, I've covered 800 miles per day on many occasions.

My First and Last
By Larry on 09/24/06 17:08 PM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

By 68k, replaced wiper interrupt unit, power steering pump, alternator, steering rack, and motor mounts. My first Subaru, purchased with 46k miles, and it will be my last. Very expensive to maintain.

2001 Outback
By Doug on 06/22/06 22:46 PM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The Outback was our first "new" car, and we can certainly afford anything. This car has been completely troublefree, aside from the cupholder in the back seat that my kids stepped on (and broke). There is a lingering concern regarding head gaskets with the 2.5 engine. We have had no trouble at all. I do not know what incidence exists for these engines. We have a Subaru fanatic nearby who will change both sides for about $1500. Would I buy again? You bet - in fact, we're shopping right now for a Forester for her, so that I can start driving the '01 Outback - my '91 Loyale has 209k on it, and running fine but a bit of an embarrassment in this neighborhood.

Best Sport Utility Ever!
By Christina on 05/01/06 12:54 PM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I researched for about a year before I made my purchase. I am now and always will be a Subaru owner. I try and sell people I know and don't know on these cars. I've never had any major problems. This car has the best fuel economy, it's comfy, it's luxurious. I drove it in Washington in the snow every winter without getting stuck once ... I'm a snowboarder! Now I'm in Atlanta and it drives so wonderfully in the pouring rain. I feel very confident that my car and I will make it through just about anything.

Summit County Subaru
By zlmtb on 10/25/05 00:40 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is my third Subaru wagon. It's been very reliable during the 4.5 years I've owned it. The only non-scheduled maintenance item I've had to perform was the replacement of a malfunctioning anti knock sensor. At 70k the engine is not as strong as it was at first, but still runs strong. Both my previous wagons (GL and Loyale) were purchased used at about 90k and driven to 160k. With regular maintenance Subaru wagons will serve you a long time. They get good gas mileage too; 26-28 mpg on my current Outback wagon. There's plenty of space to haul cargo and luggage too. Don't hesitate to buy one!

Solid Wagon
By SeattleDrvr on 02/18/05 23:40 PM (PST)

2001 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought it new. Extras include premium sound, heated seats, heated mirors and heated windshield. Manual transmission does well even with Seattle's steep hills. No problems that weren't covered by the warranty. I plan to keep it for many years to come. My only majior complaint is that the air conditioning isn't cool enough. There are only vents in the front seats so my passengers and dogs bake in the back or we freeze in front to keep them cool.

Great all rounder, with no reliability
By ABB on 10/01/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

My first new car. Had no problems at all until 36K. Engine overheated and ruined it. It was fixed under warranty. Then again at 50K car was leaking lots of coolant. Turned out to be the water pump, but again fixed under warranty. Other than reliability, its an overall decent car. Though a bit underpowered, its still fun to drive in all conditions. Very smooth and quiet ride as well. Good clearance for off-roading, but terrible approach angle. With everything fixed, I hope it will take me upto 200K.

It's not perfect, but what car is?
By gatorband on 07/15/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

1st Subaru & 60K mi. later, still tickled w/ it. Have had only 1 recall item & a handfull of warranty-covered issues, incl. one that was covered way after 3/36! PROS: EXCELLENT handling, esp. in bad weather (rain/storms) & on dirt/gravel roads; smooth & stable ride on pavement; ample cargo space; good visibility; overall reliability. CONS: sluggish pick-up from stop (4cyl/auto); poor cup holders; tight back seat knee- space. Take care of it & it will run forever! How many Subies do you see stranded?