2001 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
Hi Miler Bargan Mover
By Dilbert on 05/06/10 21:35 PM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

OK, So I wanted ONE car to replace my three: MR2, Miata, & F250 4x4... Was looking at many options in the Small SUV market including the Forester [like driving in a fish bowl and under powered w/o Turbo] and with a very limited budget [darned economy] I was very lucky to find mine [priced low because it had 169k miles on the clock] 1. The power is 'very adequate' even surprising at times. The trade-off is a few MPG and having to buy Premium fuel, but annually for me this only amounts to $150, and no Timing Belt worries or Head Gasket problems with the H6! 2. It handles better than an SUV, but no MR2. 3. I've moved a ton of bricks [with trailer] about as much as the F250 could w/ trailer.

Head gaskets
By Not so lucky on 03/19/10 20:08 PM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon w/Weather Package (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I also had the head gaskets problem. Only when I bought my car in (at 102K) the dealership did not want to repair them on their cost because they would only do so for cars below 100K. This while my car had been in the dealership at 97K and they found nothing. I find it a bit fishy they only found it after the 100K had passed. For me no Subaru anymore, although they drive great, don't expect to get much further above 100K without significant repairs.

Head Gaskets Replaced - 100% Warranty
By suesailor on 02/18/10 17:01 PM (PST)

2001 Subaru Outback Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

My '01 Legacy Outback Sedan was just diagnosed with leaking head gaskets when I had the oil changed. The car has 87k miles and is almost 9 yrs old. So I took it to my Subaru dealer in San Rafael, CA. They confirmed the head gasket problem, called Subaru headquarters, who agreed to a 100% parts and labor to install new head gaskets!! While they had the engine out they installed a timing belt ($84) and 2 drive belts ($35). I am ecstatic that they would warranty my 9-year old Subaru. Way to go! And it only took 3-1/2 days to fix.

One Very Happy Subaru Owner
By Scott on 12/22/09 17:10 PM (PST)

2001 Subaru Outback Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is my second Subaru. I purchased this one at 112K miles, currently over 160K and other than front brakes & tires, I haven't spent a dime!! Every tank of fuel exceeds 25 MPG, it has yet to burn one drop of oil, and even they are shocked!!! Subaru's have outstanding reliability and economy. They don't take abuse well. For example if someone is a rookie at driving a clutch, could you wear one out at 88K? Yes, easily. That's not a knock on Subaru, that's the driver. Buy a Subaru, you won't regret it.

Is it time to give up?
By CG on 12/15/09 16:15 PM (PST)

2001 Subaru Outback VDC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased this 6 cyl. used at 60,000 miles; it now has 125,000. The engine is so much better- smoother - than in my previous 4 cyl Outback. I had hoped to run it to 150,000 or so-- it depends on how much ongoing repairs cost. An ongoing maintenance issue is that the brake discs- esp. front- have worn out fast and the rotors warp -- somewhere I heard that they were undersized for the weight/size of the engine. This year I have to replace the muffler and a rusted out rear suspension piece - pricey repairs that I hope keep it on the road another year or two. I've been able to go almost anywhere, in any weather, on rough roads or the highway-- it's been a fine car.

2001 Outback -lots of time in shop
By Olympia on 08/02/09 13:41 PM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Started off with a burning smell, at purchase (new). Months later, found an oil leak, but no help from dealer. Have gotten regular service w/ trusted mechanic. Head gaskets replaced. Front light replaced - out of order w/in a month. Problems with rotors - smoothed many times, replaced more than we'd like. Sigh. This car has not been worth the hassle and we won't buy another Subaru.

Wonderful as expected
By ESmith813 on 07/01/09 08:54 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Outback Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Though I have not owned this car very long, my mother drives a 2000 Outback Wagon that I fell in love with. The extras on the Limited model are very fun and feel solid. The 5-speed manual is smooth, but cruising at 65MPH just a little over 3000 RPMs is higher than my mother's auto. The AWD is amazing. I have never been stuck in any snow or ice. This past winter it climbed a rather steep icy brick hill with ease. A recent road trip put 1500 miles on it without a single grip from the car. I averaged 25MPG with a heavy load. I wish I was able to find an H6 model - the power is only adequate, but I prefer the manual transmission that isn't offered with the 6-cylinder anyway.

Costly to maintain
By First and last on 06/24/09 14:33 PM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Apparently all of those who told me to buy a Subaru because "you'll never have any problems" never owned a 2001 Outback. Granted, I did buy it when it was 4years old and had 100K miles on the clock, but it was fun to drive and looked great. The check engine light has been on more that it's been off: O2 sensors, catalytic converter, knock sensor have all been replaced and yet the light is still on. Brakes seem to wear out quickly and then there were the head gaskets to be replaced. This one has needed more expensive maintenance than any of the other cars I've owned. But it's still fun to drive and the driver's seat is even more comfortable now that my wallet isn't as fat.

Descent, not great
By talldude on 04/07/09 17:49 PM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

A solid performer in snow and enough backseat room for child seats, the 2 main reasons we bought this. We bought private party, single owner with receipts. The previous owners had to buy head gaskets (80k) and a 5 spd transmission overhaul at 110k; shortly after purchase (at 114k) I had to replace front wheel bearings, and shortly after that the clutch started to chatter (had been replaced at 80k). High wind noise at highway speeds. The car is too heavy and the engine works too hard most of the time. With the exception of excellent traction control, this is a very average car in all other respects. I wish Subie would build small light AWD cars again, that's what they do best.

Too expensive to maintain
By familydad on 01/17/09 14:37 PM (PST)

2001 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This car handles well, is fun to drive, and I feel it is safe to drive with the family aboard. But after three, yes THREE radiator replacements, 2 head gaskets and several costly sensor replacements, I'm ready to be rid of this car. It has a computer "sensor" for seemingly everything, and I've had to replace them all more than once, and of course, these sensors are never in easy-to-reach places in the engine compartment, so every time, I've been totally reamed in the wallet. I just had the catalytic converter replaced as well, and like the other repairs for this car, it was very expensive. Seriously, I owned a Toyota for 10 years, and spent less than 1/4 the cost of repairs to it.