2001 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
Big mistake buying this 2001 Subaru L.L. Bean Edition
By louisville1 on 09/18/11 14:53 PM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Outback Wagon L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Nothing but problems with this car and expensive to fix. I wish I had never seen it for sale just a year ago when we paid $7,000 and have added another $4,000 in repairs. Engine lights, overheating, noises, bearings, misfiring, and on and on. It was over heating and the repair shop installed a new radiator for $500 and then two days later the car over heats and blew out the head gaskets. We're selling this as JUNK, which is what it is. We were always Toyota people but shifted to Subaru when Toyota put profits ahead of customer safety and screwed their customers. Now what do we do?

Love my Subaru!
By Classic Man on 06/23/10 21:54 PM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Outback Wagon L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought my Outback H6 3.0 used with about 143000 K and it now has 158,000 on it with no signs of slowing down. the ride is very comfortable especially for long drives, and outside noise is non bothersome. While the car does have a raised suspension and a good ride, it still handles very well, so much so that I was keeping up pace with STI's and Porsches on the famed mulholland drive in Malibu. If this exact car was available for sale new today, I would buy it in a heart beat.

Hi Miler Bargan Mover
By Dilbert on 05/06/10 21:35 PM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Outback Wagon L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

OK, So I wanted ONE car to replace my three: MR2, Miata, & F250 4x4... Was looking at many options in the Small SUV market including the Forester [like driving in a fish bowl and under powered w/o Turbo] and with a very limited budget [darned economy] I was very lucky to find mine [priced low because it had 169k miles on the clock] 1. The power is 'very adequate' even surprising at times. The trade-off is a few MPG and having to buy Premium fuel, but annually for me this only amounts to $150, and no Timing Belt worries or Head Gasket problems with the H6! 2. It handles better than an SUV, but no MR2. 3. I've moved a ton of bricks [with trailer] about as much as the F250 could w/ trailer.

120k and still a great car
By Larry on 07/28/08 12:27 PM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Outback Wagon L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We now have 120k on our Suby. Yes, we had to replace head gaskets at 100k miles. And we had a fuel pump go at 105k, but since then our car has been bullet proof, as it was before these problems. It is regularly used to go up into the mountains and for a brief period I towed a trailer and go kart with it. This is my wife's car and while I would appreciate better gear ratio and spacing, she loves driving it. Seven years old and still going strong. My fourth Suby and not my last.

Great Car
By Len on 07/17/07 07:39 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Outback Wagon L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Other than a very poor heated seat button location the car is great. This car when new would be overpriced but used is a great value.

Expensive repair, lousy mpg
By Pdx Ower on 06/13/07 10:03 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Outback Wagon L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Try 17-19 mpg in mixed driving even on non-ethanol gas which is only 6 months a year around here. I get 25 mpg on an open highway on cruise control on good gas. My experience has been tire blowout at 25K miles, an expensive fuel injector around 30k miles, the cargo area interior cover before 30k miles, the serpentine belt at 40k miles, and the very expensive leaking valve gasket at 50k miles. Altogether, I have experienced higher than usual repair incidence of very expensive repairs, and long before they are due for normal maintenance. There were two recall notices, also.

LL Bean Outback
By cc on 06/16/06 16:34 PM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Outback Wagon L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I love my LL Bean Outback. It's 2 toned which makes it look like a small SUV. The 6 cylinders give me plenty of get up and go. It has and excellently smooth ride and gets fairly good mileage on the highway, not quite as good in city driving. It has loads of room to pack and haul things. I would buy a new one today but Subarus last forever. At 50,000 miles all I needed was fluids checked and an oil change.

Great Cruiser
By slivka on 11/15/05 21:31 PM (PST)

2001 Subaru Outback Wagon L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The car is a great freeway cruiser. The engine is very smooth and quiet. At freeway speeds RPMs are well bellow 3000. Little wind noise does get in (especially around window seals) and rear differential whines a bit at around 70mph, but overall the cabin stays quiet. Soft suspension and raised ground clearance make Outback a comfy ride when the pavement ends. Lazy automatic, on the other hand, kills performance and makes it hard to control the car at slow speeds when “off-roading”.

2001 Subaru Outback AWD 6 cylinder
By Knox Cohen on 10/05/05 18:41 PM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Outback Wagon L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Finally a Subaru with decent power. It's fun to drive, AWD makes it safe and stable in rain or snow, very dependable. Rarely breaks down and very safe crash test results. Needs better drink holders for travel comfort.

LL Bean Outback - A Great Car
By LLBeanFan on 09/26/05 22:51 PM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Outback Wagon L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this car new in 2001 and loved it from the moment I test drove it. Our family has owned Subarus since 1980, and this one is by far the most comfortable and is an absolute pleasure to drive. Before owning this car, I always felt Subarus were underpowered. The 3.0 litre engine in the LL Bean ended that complaint completely. It is so smooth you will be amazed you are driving a Subaru - very little engine noise and ample power. The car is very smooth and quiet. The seats are supportive although slightly stiff for very long trips. My only minor complaints are the flimsy 2nd cup holder and the awkward dual moonroof.