Used 2001 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean Edition Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

2001 Subaru Outback Wagon

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Big mistake buying this 2001 Subaru L.L. Bean Edition
By louisville1

2001 Subaru Outback Wagon L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Nothing but problems with this car and expensive to fix. I wish I had never seen it for sale just a year ago when we paid $7,000 and have added another $4,000 in repairs. Engine lights, overheating, noises, bearings, misfiring, and on and on. It was over heating and the repair shop installed a new radiator for $500 and then two days later the car over heats and blew out the head gaskets. We're selling this as JUNK, which is what it is. We were always Toyota people but shifted to Subaru when Toyota put profits ahead of customer safety and screwed their customers. Now what do we do?

Favorite Features

Loved the heated seats and CD player.

Suggested Improvements

Impossible to fix yourself, even spark plugs are impossible. Frequent Engine Service lights are tripped and so forth.

Love my Subaru!
By Classic Man

2001 Subaru Outback Wagon L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought my Outback H6 3.0 used with about 143000 K and it now has 158,000 on it with no signs of slowing down. the ride is very comfortable especially for long drives, and outside noise is non bothersome. While the car does have a raised suspension and a good ride, it still handles very well, so much so that I was keeping up pace with STI's and Porsches on the famed mulholland drive in Malibu. If this exact car was available for sale new today, I would buy it in a heart beat.

Favorite Features

Comfortable yet handles well, reliable and well built car, absolutely awesome Air Conditioning, and very decent stereo.

Suggested Improvements

Better Gear ratio.

Hi Miler Bargan Mover
By Dilbert

2001 Subaru Outback Wagon L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

OK, So I wanted ONE car to replace my three: MR2, Miata, & F250 4x4... Was looking at many options in the Small SUV market including the Forester [like driving in a fish bowl and under powered w/o Turbo] and with a very limited budget [darned economy] I was very lucky to find mine [priced low because it had 169k miles on the clock] 1. The power is 'very adequate' even surprising at times. The trade-off is a few MPG and having to buy Premium fuel, but annually for me this only amounts to $150, and no Timing Belt worries or Head Gasket problems with the H6! 2. It handles better than an SUV, but no MR2. 3. I've moved a ton of bricks [with trailer] about as much as the F250 could w/ trailer.

Favorite Features

Great Power, when needed, reasonable fuel economy with careful driving. Surprising hauling, towing capacity with great brakes and decent handling. LL Bean offers plenty of amenities and overall for me a great compromise between sports car and heavy hauler.

Suggested Improvements

Passenger Side Sun Visor dislodges inside rear view mirror. Stupid cup holders I understand improved in newer models. Heated seat switches too easily, accidentally turned "On" A manual 5 or 6 speed transmission would be nice.

120k and still a great car
By Larry

2001 Subaru Outback Wagon L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We now have 120k on our Suby. Yes, we had to replace head gaskets at 100k miles. And we had a fuel pump go at 105k, but since then our car has been bullet proof, as it was before these problems. It is regularly used to go up into the mountains and for a brief period I towed a trailer and go kart with it. This is my wife's car and while I would appreciate better gear ratio and spacing, she loves driving it. Seven years old and still going strong. My fourth Suby and not my last.

Favorite Features

Utility, cargo space, interior and back seat comfort.

Suggested Improvements

Better gearing to take more advantage of the 6 cylinder motor.

Great Car
By Len

2001 Subaru Outback Wagon L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Other than a very poor heated seat button location the car is great. This car when new would be overpriced but used is a great value.

Favorite Features

4 wheel drive.

Suggested Improvements

Heated seat buttons. Dash cup holder poor location. No fade out interior lighting.