2001 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
I've loved this car from the word GO!
By foxfirekenzie on 08/28/13 20:27 PM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this Subaru in '05 with just over 50,000 miles on it. I LOVED it so much. It rallied in the snow, I never got stuck while living in Utah winters. I did have to replace the tie rods and cv joint but that is understandable having 127,000 miles on it. I love the way the car rides and feels substantial on the road without being luggy. The gas mileage was around 20-24. The head gaskets did seep oil and the check engine light had a mind of its own but the car ran like a champ! I am a Subaru fan for life-this was my third one. I sold this car a week ago to buy a newer one and I am very much regretting that choice because I miss it! Great for towing, camping and hauling all of sorts.

Subaru Wins
By joseph_barney on 10/26/11 15:28 PM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I Love my Subaru Outback. I bought it at an auto auction for $1250. due to the last owners beliefs about changing their oil I now have about $3000 all together in the vehicle including purchase price. I do my own labor as I'm slightly mechanically inclined and have a new rear sub frame, complete 3m undercoat to stop rust, and a new 85,000 miles used engine. The 2001 Subaru outback is exceptionally easy to work on by ANYONE. just buy the service manual at any auto parts store and you can do anything on your vehicle. All the sensors that do go bad are located on top of the engine block, easy. At 213k the tired old engine still pushed my outback to 122mph. The Subaru 2.5 has plenty of power.

2001 OutBack
By Mike on 06/26/10 10:02 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Really have nothing to complain about except the fact I had to replace the catalytic converter at 90,000 which was expensive! I have had many vehicles with many more miles and NEVER had to replace a converter. just be warned if you buy one you're in for a expensive replacement part as this seems to be common.

2001 Outback -lots of time in shop
By Olympia on 08/02/09 13:41 PM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Started off with a burning smell, at purchase (new). Months later, found an oil leak, but no help from dealer. Have gotten regular service w/ trusted mechanic. Head gaskets replaced. Front light replaced - out of order w/in a month. Problems with rotors - smoothed many times, replaced more than we'd like. Sigh. This car has not been worth the hassle and we won't buy another Subaru.

Costly to maintain
By First and last on 06/24/09 14:33 PM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Apparently all of those who told me to buy a Subaru because "you'll never have any problems" never owned a 2001 Outback. Granted, I did buy it when it was 4years old and had 100K miles on the clock, but it was fun to drive and looked great. The check engine light has been on more that it's been off: O2 sensors, catalytic converter, knock sensor have all been replaced and yet the light is still on. Brakes seem to wear out quickly and then there were the head gaskets to be replaced. This one has needed more expensive maintenance than any of the other cars I've owned. But it's still fun to drive and the driver's seat is even more comfortable now that my wallet isn't as fat.

Descent, not great
By talldude on 04/07/09 17:49 PM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

A solid performer in snow and enough backseat room for child seats, the 2 main reasons we bought this. We bought private party, single owner with receipts. The previous owners had to buy head gaskets (80k) and a 5 spd transmission overhaul at 110k; shortly after purchase (at 114k) I had to replace front wheel bearings, and shortly after that the clutch started to chatter (had been replaced at 80k). High wind noise at highway speeds. The car is too heavy and the engine works too hard most of the time. With the exception of excellent traction control, this is a very average car in all other respects. I wish Subie would build small light AWD cars again, that's what they do best.

Too expensive to maintain
By familydad on 01/17/09 14:37 PM (PST)

2001 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This car handles well, is fun to drive, and I feel it is safe to drive with the family aboard. But after three, yes THREE radiator replacements, 2 head gaskets and several costly sensor replacements, I'm ready to be rid of this car. It has a computer "sensor" for seemingly everything, and I've had to replace them all more than once, and of course, these sensors are never in easy-to-reach places in the engine compartment, so every time, I've been totally reamed in the wallet. I just had the catalytic converter replaced as well, and like the other repairs for this car, it was very expensive. Seriously, I owned a Toyota for 10 years, and spent less than 1/4 the cost of repairs to it.

Buyer Beware!
By Adams on 12/15/08 13:08 PM (PST)

2001 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We spent $15k on a used Outback two years ago. The thought was to pay more up front and spend less on maintenance. Wrong! We just spent $4k in the last two weeks on repairs: $1500 for a new clutch and $2400 to replace the head gaskets (the car has 88,000 miles). As well as $300 in towing fees because it died in a remote spot. The car is now worth about $7k according to KBB, so all in all we've probably spent $20k on a car that didn't even make it to a 100,000 miles without over $5k in maintenance costs. I've owned many other, lower-cost vehicles that ran much stronger and longer than the Outback. I would not recommend Subaru products to anyone.

Incredibly reliable
By msn on 10/30/08 08:47 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Outback Wagon new and after 90,000 miles I can say it is the most reliable car I've ever owned. I replaced the clutch at 80,000 miles and apart from routine maintenance (oil changes, wiper blades, headlight bulb, tire rotation, new battery at around 60,000 miles) that has been it. Even the original Wilderness tires did not need replacing until 75,000 miles.

Expensive Major Repairs
By jeff on 09/01/08 07:31 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Hidden recalls of clutch and head gaskets. (Done on warranty.) Second clutch and flywheel replacement after only another 30,000 miles. Independent mechanic thinks the clutch flywheel fittings and housing are not meant for this engine. Catalytic converter needed replacement. Oxygen sensor and idle needed replacement. Brake rotors needed work early on. Front bushing replacements. Maybe I just got a lemon.