Used 2001 Subaru Outback VDC Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Is it time to give up?
By CG

2001 Subaru Outback Wagon VDC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased this 6 cyl. used at 60,000 miles; it now has 125,000. The engine is so much better- smoother - than in my previous 4 cyl Outback. I had hoped to run it to 150,000 or so-- it depends on how much ongoing repairs cost. An ongoing maintenance issue is that the brake discs- esp. front- have worn out fast and the rotors warp -- somewhere I heard that they were undersized for the weight/size of the engine. This year I have to replace the muffler and a rusted out rear suspension piece - pricey repairs that I hope keep it on the road another year or two. I've been able to go almost anywhere, in any weather, on rough roads or the highway-- it's been a fine car.

Engine, AWD, 8+" road clearance, just- right sizing.

A bit irrelevant at this late date!

Most Pleased
By carnell

2001 Subaru Outback Wagon VDC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The two improvements that I would appreciate are; a front seat arm rest to avoid fatigue on long trips - the 10 and 2 o,clock hand positions are very tiring, and directional signal display as a flashing bar in the exterior mirrors for increased safety. Best car in my 46 years of driving.

Smooth automatic shifting, acceleration and braking.

As detailed in review above.

Good car overall
By OurLadyofPets

2001 Subaru Outback Wagon VDC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Good vehicle, no problems other than interior design issues. I'm not crazy about the fact that you need to use high octane fuel, I assumed all economy cars used regular - oops! The seat heater toggle switch gets turned on accidentally, not so much a problem in the winter, but when it's already warm it's difficult to cool a warm seat that you are sitting on. The window switches are awkward; I'm forever opening the back windows when my intention is to open the front. The drink holders are placed too far back, the driver has to look away from the road to replace a drink in the holder. The phone charger goes off when the vehicle isn't running; I'm not crazy about that idea. Everything else is GREAT.

Comfortable leather seats with driver's side lumbar support.

Listed above.

My Outback
By Myrddin

2001 Subaru Outback Wagon VDC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Although this car was chosen by my wife, I can say I really enjoy driving it.. It really shines when the road is slick.. Two winters have proven it's the car to have when the going gets slippery.. Mileage on long trips is has been in the 27MPG range when crusing at highway speeds.. The only drawbacks have been the placement of some controls, especially the seat heat switchs.. They are frequently turned on when you set some down between the seats.. All in all when it comes time to replace this vehicle we will get another Suberu...

All wheel drive and the VDC control..

Seat heater switch location...

VDC at 4 years
By dgduris

2001 Subaru Outback Wagon VDC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned this car since new. It has given me 66k miles of uninterruped, luxurious service. While unremarkable outside, the interior frequently causes passengers to remark: "This is a Subaru? !" The leather, wood trim and 220 Watt MacIntosh Stereo are all on par with the far more expensive cars my non-snow-belt inhabiting friends drive. The recent addition of Ultra High Performance All Season Michelins has had me fall in love with the car all over again as the handling is improved to GT level and the road noise is drastically reduced. I would change only the control for the dual sunroof and add headlight washer jets to make this car perfect.

This car goes like stink wherever I point it regardless of the conditions. I drove it from San Diego to Providence and it was fantastic and, with the high- performance all-season Michelin tires, stable and quiet at high (100mph) speed.

Change the sunroof control to a position selection knob, add headlamp washers, illuminate all window switches in all doors, flip the power lock switch so up is open and down is locked.