2001 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
I've loved this car from the word GO!
By foxfirekenzie on 08/28/13 20:27 PM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this Subaru in '05 with just over 50,000 miles on it. I LOVED it so much. It rallied in the snow, I never got stuck while living in Utah winters. I did have to replace the tie rods and cv joint but that is understandable having 127,000 miles on it. I love the way the car rides and feels substantial on the road without being luggy. The gas mileage was around 20-24. The head gaskets did seep oil and the check engine light had a mind of its own but the car ran like a champ! I am a Subaru fan for life-this was my third one. I sold this car a week ago to buy a newer one and I am very much regretting that choice because I miss it! Great for towing, camping and hauling all of sorts.

Head Gasket again!
By countrycousin on 08/14/13 12:37 PM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon w/Weather Package, Child Seat (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

My 01 Outback has now had 3 head gasket failures. The first one was at 130K, second time only after 20K miles. I'm now looking for someone to replace head gaskets again. The car now has total of 70K on the 2nd head gasket. The car has 222K total on it now. There must be something I like about it since I keep fixing it, but issues with quality appeared early on. I have owned 2 other Subaru vehicles, but now will consider other AWD for my next Colorado mountain car.

Subaru Wins
By joseph_barney on 10/26/11 15:28 PM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I Love my Subaru Outback. I bought it at an auto auction for $1250. due to the last owners beliefs about changing their oil I now have about $3000 all together in the vehicle including purchase price. I do my own labor as I'm slightly mechanically inclined and have a new rear sub frame, complete 3m undercoat to stop rust, and a new 85,000 miles used engine. The 2001 Subaru outback is exceptionally easy to work on by ANYONE. just buy the service manual at any auto parts store and you can do anything on your vehicle. All the sensors that do go bad are located on top of the engine block, easy. At 213k the tired old engine still pushed my outback to 122mph. The Subaru 2.5 has plenty of power.

Big mistake buying this 2001 Subaru L.L. Bean Edition
By louisville1 on 09/18/11 14:53 PM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Outback Wagon L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Nothing but problems with this car and expensive to fix. I wish I had never seen it for sale just a year ago when we paid $7,000 and have added another $4,000 in repairs. Engine lights, overheating, noises, bearings, misfiring, and on and on. It was over heating and the repair shop installed a new radiator for $500 and then two days later the car over heats and blew out the head gaskets. We're selling this as JUNK, which is what it is. We were always Toyota people but shifted to Subaru when Toyota put profits ahead of customer safety and screwed their customers. Now what do we do?

Gets the job done
By bloul11 on 01/05/11 10:57 AM (PST)

2001 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my outback with 73K on it, It now has 140K. It is our grocery getter child transporter. Does great in the snow. I can get about 26-28 mpg city/Hwy. It does leak oil, i fear may be the dreaded Subaru head gasket. Thought it went out about 5K ago but it was the water pump. Shop said heads were fine. Interior is nice I do have leather package but not the limited. good comfort for long trips. I would buy another with out question. Only other issues are some electrical in steering column that makes turn signal sound for no reason, cruise control stopped working and horn no longer works. Also have to replace 4 tires at a time due to AWD.

Leaking oil but hasnt let me down (yet!)
By decent.. not a honda on 08/25/10 18:58 PM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Bought my car at 139,000. Pretty much right after it was delivered to me I found out it had an oil leak. I found out its leaking from multiple places and a mechanic won't even touch it out of fear that I'll complain that they didn't fix it correctly the first time. The check engine light has since come on I've gotten oil changes every 3000 miles and the check engine light has been on for about 12 thousand miles now. It still runs! I'm not gonna fix the oil leaks or the check engine light. 155,000 miles on it now. Still running like a champ tho I'm a little worried. I still love it!

Head gasket on 4cyl.
By steviet on 06/27/10 09:17 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I'm surprised that the last review is so old. At just under 100,000 miles, my head gasket blew. This appears to be a design flaw. I think Subaru should reimburse me $2400.

2001 OutBack
By Mike on 06/26/10 10:02 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Really have nothing to complain about except the fact I had to replace the catalytic converter at 90,000 which was expensive! I have had many vehicles with many more miles and NEVER had to replace a converter. just be warned if you buy one you're in for a expensive replacement part as this seems to be common.

Love my Subaru!
By Classic Man on 06/23/10 21:54 PM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Outback Wagon L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought my Outback H6 3.0 used with about 143000 K and it now has 158,000 on it with no signs of slowing down. the ride is very comfortable especially for long drives, and outside noise is non bothersome. While the car does have a raised suspension and a good ride, it still handles very well, so much so that I was keeping up pace with STI's and Porsches on the famed mulholland drive in Malibu. If this exact car was available for sale new today, I would buy it in a heart beat.

Don't buy this car
By montanaowner on 05/19/10 19:59 PM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon w/Weather Package (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this car new. Now have 118,000 miles and it needs its 3rd head gasket. First went at 36,000 miles, 2nd at 83,000 miles. In cold weather (10 degrees or less) gas lines at fuel pump condense, allowing fuel to vaporize into the engine compartment. Smells like you are riding in the gas tank. If I could have afforded to dump this car earlier I would have. Lots of other smaller problems. Seems to go through tires very quickly.