Used 2001 Subaru Outback Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

2001 Subaru Outback Sedan

Limited 2.5L 4-cyl. AWD 4-speed Automatic - (11 reviews )

Head Gaskets Replaced - 100% Warranty
By suesailor

2001 Subaru Outback Sedan Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

My '01 Legacy Outback Sedan was just diagnosed with leaking head gaskets when I had the oil changed. The car has 87k miles and is almost 9 yrs old. So I took it to my Subaru dealer in San Rafael, CA. They confirmed the head gasket problem, called Subaru headquarters, who agreed to a 100% parts and labor to install new head gaskets!! While they had the engine out they installed a timing belt ($84) and 2 drive belts ($35). I am ecstatic that they would warranty my 9-year old Subaru. Way to go! And it only took 3-1/2 days to fix.

Best car I've owned!
By kk

2001 Subaru Outback Sedan Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is a fabulous car and has gotten me across the country 6 times in all sorts of weather, never letting me down. A recent outpouring of money to the head gaskets, radiator, water & fuel pump, altenator, timing belt, and thermastat has given me reserve on whether I'll purchase another.

Favorite Features

The AWD! I saw people hydroplaning in rain and spinning their tires in the snow as I drove right by them! I also adore the windshield wiper heaters!

Suggested Improvements

The back seat could use a 60/40 split, I always wanted that and didn't use the pass through much.

snow job
By yardshark

2001 Subaru Outback Sedan Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I was totally "snowed" by Subaru and others who have owned Subaru's. "Oh, they're so reliable I have 2 of them". "They're bullet-proof". So I bought a new 2001 Outback sedan for the "reliability" and the AWD for snowy weather. At just over 50,000 miles, one head gasket blew and while testing the system, they found the second one ready to go and had to replace it too. The repairman told me I wouldn't have the problem again when I told him I would not buy another if this was going to be a problem every 50,000 miles. Now at 120,000 miles, the head gaskets have once again gone out. This will be the third set of gaskets for something "bullet-proof" and "extremely reliable".

Suggested Improvements

Go back to the drawing board AFTER you look up the true meanings of "bullet-proof" and "reliable". Apparently you've changed something or forgotten something vital risking the loss of customers...me for one.

We LOVE our Subaru!
By newbury

2001 Subaru Outback Sedan Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This car has never broken down. We use it for both local and long distance driving, and have never been disappointed by performance in the New England weather. It handles snow and rain without a hitch and has been very reliable during icy road situations (the AWD works like a champ). We love this car, and plan to keep it for a very long time! :)

Favorite Features

AWD, leather interior, sun roof.

Suggested Improvements

More cup holders in the back would be nice, but otherwise there are no complaints.

Last Subaru I'll own
By Enough

2001 Subaru Outback Sedan Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is my 3rd Subaru. I bought it because the first 2 were bulletproof -- no problems. We are at 77k miles now. The head gasket had to be replaced at 72k. Yes it was covered since the car had the coolant treatment. Asking around after it happened, this is now a common problem with the 2.5 engine. Now, the transmission needs to be rebuilt. According to a local transmission shop (not the dealership) 77k on this transmission is good! He often sees them with less. Often? Somewhere Subaru lost the reliability that kept me coming back. The company has refused requests to repair the vehicle. They've offered token gestures like a rebate on a new car purchase. I'm done with Subaru.

Favorite Features

Looks good sitting still. Good thing, since if you drive it, you'll have to fix it.

Suggested Improvements

RELIABILITY! The old Subarus would run to 200k miles without problems. NOT NOW!