2001 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
One Very Happy Subaru Owner
By Scott on 12/22/09 17:10 PM (PST)

2001 Subaru Outback Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is my second Subaru. I purchased this one at 112K miles, currently over 160K and other than front brakes & tires, I haven't spent a dime!! Every tank of fuel exceeds 25 MPG, it has yet to burn one drop of oil, and even they are shocked!!! Subaru's have outstanding reliability and economy. They don't take abuse well. For example if someone is a rookie at driving a clutch, could you wear one out at 88K? Yes, easily. That's not a knock on Subaru, that's the driver. Buy a Subaru, you won't regret it.

Wonderful as expected
By ESmith813 on 07/01/09 08:54 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Outback Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Though I have not owned this car very long, my mother drives a 2000 Outback Wagon that I fell in love with. The extras on the Limited model are very fun and feel solid. The 5-speed manual is smooth, but cruising at 65MPH just a little over 3000 RPMs is higher than my mother's auto. The AWD is amazing. I have never been stuck in any snow or ice. This past winter it climbed a rather steep icy brick hill with ease. A recent road trip put 1500 miles on it without a single grip from the car. I averaged 25MPG with a heavy load. I wish I was able to find an H6 model - the power is only adequate, but I prefer the manual transmission that isn't offered with the 6-cylinder anyway.

Was a great deer hunter
By Kirk on 10/13/08 17:49 PM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Outback Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We got the outback limited with 115000 miles on it. The only items I replaced were the wires and an alternator which was very simple to replace. The one thing that drove me nuts was the seat heater buttons. I was always turning them on, bad placement. I lost the car when a deer ran in front of me. I was going 75 mph and the car stayed straight as an arrow. The car was totaled by the insurance co. My wife and I did not get even a scratch. So we bought another 2001 outback with 68k on it. I hope to get 250000 k on this one. I still have to put up with that seat heater button.

Mixed review
By paul on 10/17/07 19:48 PM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Outback Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

While this car is great in snow and rock solid in a driving rain it has been a maintenance nightmare. We think it was built late on a Friday afternoon. Within hours of taking delivery the car wouldn't start. Bad fuel injectors. Within two months, bad brake rotors. Driver's door has never closed correctly without slamming it. New clutch within 24K miles... told Subaru clutches don't last long (wife asked if we they could install a Honda clutch instead - our accord clutch lasted until 75K....). Another new clutch at 45K. Blown tranny at 102K and now blown head gasket at 105K. We're done with Subaru.

not so durable?
By colorado chick on 08/04/05 18:32 PM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Outback Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've driven my car hard and it's starting to show. I expected more from Subaru. While the Outback has been a vast improvement over my '93 Legacy, I've gone through way too many brakes, worn through lots of (higher quality) tires. Am now having transmission problems. Plus, like me, the car seems to be losing spunk as it ages; I now have to turn off the A/C to maintain speed on climbs. But, that said, it's been the most incredible snow car I've driven--with 4 studded snow tires, I can negotiate the nastiest mountain roads without fear.

Very good car
By Nakoosa on 07/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Outback Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Were I not so into off-roading, I would have kept this car. The ground clearance is great, the approach/departure angles significantly hamper the grnd clernce and AWD capabilities. AWD and cornering = fun! Premium sound system is Fantastic! Seat heaters are wonderful. Acceleration is very surprising (when gas is stomped). Gas mileage surprising not so desireable. I took this thing mudding, out onto the beach, rally driving on fireroads and Had A Blast!! Very versatile, very fun. But I can 4-wheel my '87 Pathfinder and it cost a lot less! If you're not into moderate to heavy off- roading, you'll love all the features, safety and fun of this car.

Useless Sunroofs, Low Power - Good Car
By TechMarcom on 05/16/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Outback Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Car rides well, but is certainly underpowered with a 4 cyl. engine, or way overpriced with a 6 cyl. We lease the 2001 Outback Ltd. with ato trans and 4 cyl engine. Dual sunroofs seemed like a fun idea, but in reality they're useless. The one over the front seat is a "pop top" that barely opens, and the power sliding moonroof is over the back seat - useless to driver!

A great car-that has some minor issues.
By Suzam on 04/01/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Subaru Outback Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Added hieght of the Outback is a plus, not as high as an SUV but only slightly lower than a minivan's line-of-sight. Short skirted pistons can sometimes rap when cold but quiet down after warming up to operating temperature in this horizontally opposed 4 cyl. Expect low 20s for local driving MPG. Not bad considering AWD.

greatAWD
By abj on 09/16/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Outback Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Everything, and particularly the H6, is top notch. Strange ergonomics on it (probably due to Japanese RHD converted to NA LHD). Brakes sre noisy and vibrate too soon in their life. I'd buy again though.

Stick Shift Problems
By sewerwitch on 09/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Outback Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Limited Wagon has lots of room and a great auto to drive on Vermont ski trips. But - we had to replace the clutch at 28000 miles and again at 52000 miles. At first we thought it was my wifes driving (but she had driven stick shift cars for many years)now we think it is a design flaw. Plus when reving the engine to drive up an incline a horrible smell would enter the cabin. A transmission seal leak??