Used 2001 Subaru Outback Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

I've loved this car from the word GO!
By foxfirekenzie

2001 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this Subaru in '05 with just over 50,000 miles on it. I LOVED it so much. It rallied in the snow, I never got stuck while living in Utah winters. I did have to replace the tie rods and cv joint but that is understandable having 127,000 miles on it. I love the way the car rides and feels substantial on the road without being luggy. The gas mileage was around 20-24. The head gaskets did seep oil and the check engine light had a mind of its own but the car ran like a champ! I am a Subaru fan for life-this was my third one. I sold this car a week ago to buy a newer one and I am very much regretting that choice because I miss it! Great for towing, camping and hauling all of sorts.

Favorite Features

Roomy. Great viability and openness. Sturdy. Good towing power. Great for sleeping in :) Dependable. Plenty of power for passing and hills.

Suggested Improvements

Head gaskets, struts and front end could use some attention from Subaru. Very notorious problems there.

Subaru Wins
By joseph_barney

2001 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I Love my Subaru Outback. I bought it at an auto auction for $1250. due to the last owners beliefs about changing their oil I now have about $3000 all together in the vehicle including purchase price. I do my own labor as I'm slightly mechanically inclined and have a new rear sub frame, complete 3m undercoat to stop rust, and a new 85,000 miles used engine. The 2001 Subaru outback is exceptionally easy to work on by ANYONE. just buy the service manual at any auto parts store and you can do anything on your vehicle. All the sensors that do go bad are located on top of the engine block, easy. At 213k the tired old engine still pushed my outback to 122mph. The Subaru 2.5 has plenty of power.

Favorite Features

Everything about this car is my favorite feature.

Suggested Improvements

You cannot improve upon perfection.

2001 OutBack
By Mike

2001 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Really have nothing to complain about except the fact I had to replace the catalytic converter at 90,000 which was expensive! I have had many vehicles with many more miles and NEVER had to replace a converter. just be warned if you buy one you're in for a expensive replacement part as this seems to be common.

Favorite Features

Performs very well in snow.

2001 Outback -lots of time in shop
By Olympia

2001 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Started off with a burning smell, at purchase (new). Months later, found an oil leak, but no help from dealer. Have gotten regular service w/ trusted mechanic. Head gaskets replaced. Front light replaced - out of order w/in a month. Problems with rotors - smoothed many times, replaced more than we'd like. Sigh. This car has not been worth the hassle and we won't buy another Subaru.

Costly to maintain
By First and last

2001 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Apparently all of those who told me to buy a Subaru because "you'll never have any problems" never owned a 2001 Outback. Granted, I did buy it when it was 4years old and had 100K miles on the clock, but it was fun to drive and looked great. The check engine light has been on more that it's been off: O2 sensors, catalytic converter, knock sensor have all been replaced and yet the light is still on. Brakes seem to wear out quickly and then there were the head gaskets to be replaced. This one has needed more expensive maintenance than any of the other cars I've owned. But it's still fun to drive and the driver's seat is even more comfortable now that my wallet isn't as fat.

Favorite Features

Driving experience, styling.

Suggested Improvements

More reliability in systems and parts.