Used 2001 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews - 103 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

2001 Subaru Outback

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

204,000 miles and going strong!
By Clifton Swanson

2001 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I suppose that every car is different, some have problems, but my 2001 L.L. Bean Outback has been as good as it gets. Almost no repairs except routine maintenance which I observe religiously. Runs like new. I keep trying to persuade myself to get a new car but when I get in and drive it, I just don't see why. I bought it for $22,000 when it was one year old with 25,000 miles on it so someone really used it but didn't hurt it. Must have been a lease car. It is so well made; the fit and finish are outstanding. I'm afraid to buy a new car!

It's love, all right!
By Diana Hilmer

2001 Subaru Outback Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The Short and Tall of Driving a Subaru Outback
By Marty in Jacksonville

2001 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I am almost 5'2" and my husband is 6'6". We both fit fine as driver and passenger - a big challenge to find something that works for both of us. I only wish this vehicle had seat memory (a button to push to say it's me or him). The only drawback to this car design inside is between seat and center console is a black hole of lost things. I saw something I can buy to block that slot so I won't have to get a stick, a hairbrush, or whatever, to reach between there and retrieve keys, money, and pens. It's like a magnet for dropping things into there. Currently, I see a french fry and an M&M, and for the life of me, cannot get it out! We bought this car used (2001) and took it to the NC mountains, where it drove around sharp mountain curves like a champ, hanging on tight and not making the passengers feel like they're going to be thrown out. Our other car is a 2001 GMC Jimmy 4WD, which is a tough old car, but you have to nearly come to a stop to turn a corner and it's a big time gas hog.

LOVE MY CAR
By Dawn

2001 Subaru Outback Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this brand new and wouldn't trade it for the world. I now have 175,000 on it and going strong. Few minor repairs like o2 sensor and knock sensor, but great car

I've loved this car from the word GO!
By foxfirekenzie

2001 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this Subaru in '05 with just over 50,000 miles on it. I LOVED it so much. It rallied in the snow, I never got stuck while living in Utah winters. I did have to replace the tie rods and cv joint but that is understandable having 127,000 miles on it.
I love the way the car rides and feels substantial on the road without being luggy.
The gas mileage was around 20-24. The head gaskets did seep oil and the check engine light had a mind of its own but the car ran like a champ! I am a Subaru fan for life-this was my third one. I sold this car a week ago to buy a newer one and I am very much regretting that choice because I miss it! Great for towing, camping and hauling all of sorts.

Roomy. Great viability and openness. Sturdy. Good towing power. Great for sleeping in :) Dependable. Plenty of power for passing and hills.

Head gaskets, struts and front end could use some attention from Subaru. Very notorious problems there.