Used 2001 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

LOVE MY CAR
By Dawn

2001 Subaru Outback Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this brand new and wouldn't trade it for the world. I now have 175,000 on it and going strong. Few minor repairs like o2 sensor and knock sensor, but great car

I've loved this car from the word GO!
By foxfirekenzie

2001 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this Subaru in '05 with just over 50,000 miles on it. I LOVED it so much. It rallied in the snow, I never got stuck while living in Utah winters. I did have to replace the tie rods and cv joint but that is understandable having 127,000 miles on it. I love the way the car rides and feels substantial on the road without being luggy. The gas mileage was around 20-24. The head gaskets did seep oil and the check engine light had a mind of its own but the car ran like a champ! I am a Subaru fan for life-this was my third one. I sold this car a week ago to buy a newer one and I am very much regretting that choice because I miss it! Great for towing, camping and hauling all of sorts.

Roomy. Great viability and openness. Sturdy. Good towing power. Great for sleeping in :) Dependable. Plenty of power for passing and hills.

Head gaskets, struts and front end could use some attention from Subaru. Very notorious problems there.

Head Gasket again!
By countrycousin

2001 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon w/Weather Package, Child Seat (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

My 01 Outback has now had 3 head gasket failures. The first one was at 130K, second time only after 20K miles. I'm now looking for someone to replace head gaskets again. The car now has total of 70K on the 2nd head gasket. The car has 222K total on it now. There must be something I like about it since I keep fixing it, but issues with quality appeared early on. I have owned 2 other Subaru vehicles, but now will consider other AWD for my next Colorado mountain car.

Leather Interior has held up well and still looks good.

Get a better gasket on these engines. Use higher quality steel instead of aluminum. Also, the button for heated seats is right where everyone bumps it, so turns on accidently to often. I think this was corrected in the later Subaru.

Subaru Wins
By joseph_barney

2001 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I Love my Subaru Outback. I bought it at an auto auction for $1250. due to the last owners beliefs about changing their oil I now have about $3000 all together in the vehicle including purchase price. I do my own labor as I'm slightly mechanically inclined and have a new rear sub frame, complete 3m undercoat to stop rust, and a new 85,000 miles used engine. The 2001 Subaru outback is exceptionally easy to work on by ANYONE. just buy the service manual at any auto parts store and you can do anything on your vehicle. All the sensors that do go bad are located on top of the engine block, easy. At 213k the tired old engine still pushed my outback to 122mph. The Subaru 2.5 has plenty of power.

Everything about this car is my favorite feature.

You cannot improve upon perfection.

Big mistake buying this 2001 Subaru L.L. Bean Edition
By louisville1

2001 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Nothing but problems with this car and expensive to fix. I wish I had never seen it for sale just a year ago when we paid $7,000 and have added another $4,000 in repairs. Engine lights, overheating, noises, bearings, misfiring, and on and on. It was over heating and the repair shop installed a new radiator for $500 and then two days later the car over heats and blew out the head gaskets. We're selling this as JUNK, which is what it is. We were always Toyota people but shifted to Subaru when Toyota put profits ahead of customer safety and screwed their customers. Now what do we do?

Loved the heated seats and CD player.

Impossible to fix yourself, even spark plugs are impossible. Frequent Engine Service lights are tripped and so forth.