Outback wagon automatic trans, good and bad
By tlpw on
2000 Subaru Outback 4dr Wagon AWD
Interesting edmunds fails to list the cars with auto trans. Had this car since 09, purchased with 120k for $4800 and has 176k on it now. CEL on since 3 months after I bought it; spent way too much trying to figure it out; dealership states due to oxygen sensors, which are supposedly all one part with the catalytic so would have to replace that whole thing-they told me to keep driving it. Lots of front end issues, huge motor/trans vibrations that no one can seem to figure out, dealer or other subaru masters. Wasted lots of cash there too. Happens whenever I'm stopped in gear, always have to take it out of gear. Better mechanical knowledge needed at dealerships. Seat & driving comfort -10
Favorite Features
AWD, space, folding seats, roof racks (where my kayak lives :) I even put the kayak inside last summer--fold the front seat back and it fits right in, although had to tie the trunk down and pad the kayak. It's a great car to haul things in and on. Great stock sound system. Despite the major mechanical and comfort flaws, the car just keeps on going. Interior carpets and seat materials have held up far better than expected for a 13 year old car, not a rip, tear, or thin spot. And I beat the inside of my vehicle with kayaking, fly fishing, camping, mud, dirt roads, etc. Hats off to the interior durability.
Suggested Improvements
Subaru to this day hasn't learned that, in the outback or the forrester, the gas pedal does not belong to the right, right up against the hump. It is very uncomfortable to drive, and contributes to constant back and leg pain. Little leg room-I'm short, needseat fully forward to not drive with my toes. I'm 5'4", my dad is 5'8" and he can't fit in it. Someday maybe they'll figure out this fatal space flaw. This vehicle lacks comfort in the seats; little lumbar support & poor seat cushioning, I had to buy multiple pads and back supports to survive it. Guess what-pads + no head room makes for a really crappy, uncomfortable ride. I've checked out the new ones, & not much has changed.