Used 2000 Subaru Outback Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

2000 Subaru Outback

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Sub 2000
By luck11

2000 Subaru Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

Its fun to drive and I find the engine performance adequate for my needs, even though some suggest it is weak. I have had min probs with this vehicle and will be trading up to the new 2005s when they are available. AWD is amazing and its incredible how you take it for granted. I had to haul a large load and used my dad's 1991 Ford f-150 4x4. It snowed. What a difference! To have to conciously engage and disengage when hitting dry pavement. What a pain!!! With my Sub, when I accel from a traff light in snow, the wheels simply do not spin. I'm always 1st car off the mark.

Favorite Features

Trunk space, roof rack, AWD!

Suggested Improvements

Bit more interior space (width).

clutch problems
By triesch

2000 Subaru Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

good car, but constant problems with the clutch, which has been replaced several times. It was finally working good, when it just failed on me in very, very hot weather. Dealer tells me they have a fix for it. We'll see... Also, lots of rattles

Favorite Features

fuel economy

Suggested Improvements

fix the clutch. Get behind the rattles

Confidence to drive anywhere!
By kaddison

2000 Subaru Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

Our main reasons for our decision in the purchase of the Subaru were safety and reliability; we found both in the Outback. This car will give you the confidence to drive anywhere, even on rough terrain

Favorite Features

Great looks, and smooth handling were what we loved most.

Suggested Improvements

none to speak of.

What a car
By scozim

2000 Subaru Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

Bought the Outback brand new. Was my wife's car for the first three years, now I drive it and I have to say I haven't had this much fun driving a wagon in a long time. Had 55 series Michelin Artic Alpine's on for the winter and the car was unbelievable in the snow. Not one problem in three years and we have 63,000 on it.

Favorite Features

A blast to drive and corners well for a tall vehicle. The heated seats are great and the stereo system sounds awesome.

Suggested Improvements

Add a 6th gear on the manual to increase the mileage and get the rpm's down at highway speeds.

I love my outback!
By suepsales22

2000 Subaru Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

I had absolutely no mechanical problems with my outback until 97,000 miles. The headgasket was replaced and fortunately I had an extended warranty to 100,000 miles. I don't know if it is coincidence or not but my mpg dropped from 26-27 to 21-22. My fuel didn't change, or driving conditions? I will buy another one when this "dies".

Favorite Features

The wood look dashboard, tinted rear windows and roof rack with spoiler. Comfortable front seats.

Suggested Improvements

Easily accessible cupholders in front. Doorside armrests on front seats. Vanity mirrors on passenger side visor. Indicator for bright headlights on lower half of speedometer readout rather than at the awkward area on top. Backseat needs more comfort.