Used 2000 Subaru Outback Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Solid ride
By MOutback

2000 Subaru Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

This car is solid, but needs more power and refinement. The ride is smooth, handling is balanced, interior is comfortable, traction is superb, and ergonomics are decent. Of course, the key selling point was the AWD and Subaru dependability, which have proven their worth. Plus, it's good looking. After 38K miles, the only problem I've had was a bad AC compressor, which was covered by the warranty. But I'm glad I don't have the McIntosh stereo (what a loser). I'd gladly buy another, especially the 2005 model, which promises to be an excellent improvement.

AWD, boxer engine, handling, cargo room, reliability, fuel economy, exterior design.

This car NEEDS: more power, variable wipers, normal sunroof, illuminated ignition ring/controls, auto up/down windows, rear air vents, simpler reclining rear seats, front seat pockets, steering wheel controls, forward-adjustable headreasts, & full- size spare.

The right choice
By noop

2000 Subaru Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

I've been driving a 2000 wagon for three and a half years. Comfortable, secure car. A little wind noise from the driver's window and one recall (haven't had time to follow up on that yet), but no problems otherwise. Will probably get an '05 next fall. For me, just about the perfect car, and I don't understand how anyone can call it underpowered. It isn't, even with a fully loaded roof rack and cargo area: luggage, dogs, computer, printer,every square inch packed.

Excellent ride on paved roads and gravel roads. Also, I appreciateand that this is a safe vehicle. Looks great, too! (No, I don't ride off-road so climbing boulders or fording swamps isn't a factor here.)

'05 model should include cold weather options as standard features. Front cup holder in the dash gets a little tippy and could use some work there.

Absolutely LOVE my Subaru!!
By jcanz

2000 Subaru Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

My husband and I just bought a used 2000 Outback wagon to replace our bloated old gas guzzling boat of an SUV. It was definitely the wisest thing we ever did. I feel very safe driving this vehicle-- the AWD is the best. Our dogs love the LARGE cargo area.

Nice smooth stable ride... particlarly after our top-heavy SUV. Good sound on the stereo and it just looks sooo cool. I smile everytime I get in to drive it!

I'd love to see Subaru make an outside thermometer and auto dimming mirrors standard. An interior release for the rear liftgate could be nice as well. AND pockets for the back of the front seats.

Solid & Dependable
By mkhappy

2000 Subaru Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

We have put a ton of miles in a short time and have enjoyed every mile. The car is comfortable, easy to drive and very reliable. I haul camping equip, music equip, and bikes...Will probably buy another as soon as it makes sense.

excellent all around car
By Joe Q. Smith

2000 Subaru Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

the Outback is an excellent all around car, with average gas mileage at 23 mpg, and up to 29 on the highway.