Used 2000 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Awesome in the snow.
By Loved my outback

2000 Subaru Outback Limited 4dr Wagon AWD

We had our Subaru Outback since 2000 until my husband totaled it. This is a great car. Not much room to fit a big family, but great in the snow. Great second car. We are thinking about getting another one just because how safe we feel driving this on any type of road conditions. Never had mechanical problems, except regular maintenance,. Great car... I am sorely going to miss ours.

Favorite Features

Driving in snow.

Suggested Improvements

Back seat not much room. However, I wasn't planning on sitting back there much. It's comfortable for 2 kids though.

Worst car I ever owned
By ely

2000 Subaru Outback Limited 4dr Wagon AWD

Within a year, the head gasket blew, damaging the radiator, and leaving me stranded in the desert. Since it was almost out of warranty, the dealer kept saying he didn't know what the problem was. As soon as the gasket was out of warranty, the dealer miraculously diagnosed the problem. Subaru covered only a small % of the nearly $2,000 bill. Other problems: catalytic converter (engine light always on); heat shield always coming loose; ball joint replaced several times; broken sway bar; 2 transmissions in 4 months; engine stills runs so hot it feels like heater is on; noisy; poor acceleration.

Favorite Features

Good sound system. Compass is helpful. Good cargo space.

Suggested Improvements

What needs improvement on this car is listed in the Review section.

Too Much Money for Too Many Problems
By Caroline

2000 Subaru Outback Limited 4dr Wagon AWD

I was pretty enamored of this car with all its bells and whistles, but it ended up not being worth it. I've had to replace the transmission among lots of piddly, annoying stuff. The gaskets around the doors/windows have all come loose, the hatch back door handle doesn't spring back anymore, just replaced the burned out rear wiper motor, replaced the hyrdraulic lifts on the hatch - all within the last year and a half! My 16 year-old Honda has fewer problems and starts and goes just as reliably! No more Subies for me.

Favorite Features

AWD is nice for the times I didn't want to shovel my driveway, but not worth the lack of power and gas mileage. Again, bells and whistles were nice, but I'm not fooled by that anymore.

Suggested Improvements

Pay attention to the little details and start making cars that have better fuel efficiency. We all know it's possible!

2000 Subaru Outback Wagon
By Misha

2000 Subaru Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought this car based on safety and reliability records. At 80,000 miles I had to replace the trans, to the tune of $3700. I drive 2 kids around the suburbs of chicago - what more can I say? I also just found out that my head gasket needs replacing ($1300) although at 110,000 miles I suppose that's not out of the question. Mechanical issues aside, I love this car, although it is noisy above 60mph, it can't be beat on chicago's winter roads. It's a great option to the gas-guzzling suv. I had planned on driving this into the ground; I was just hoping that the "ground" was a little further away.

Favorite Features

heated seats, good sound system, fuel economy, and oh-so-great traction.

Suggested Improvements

Improved noise control over 60 and improved reliability.

Seven Years in
By Subie Man

2000 Subaru Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

Purchased new, now have 77K on it. I love Subarus, and this one has its highs and one low. Snow and wet conditions cannot stop this car. I have tried to lose traction (all season radial tires, not snow rated) and can't. Love the reliability except for the head gasket that needed replacing - the car was past warranty (uh-oh), yet Subaru covered it (phew). No other repair issues, brakes are still fine, even. 20/27 MPG, even with Thule box on top.

Favorite Features

AWD, few repair issues, decent gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Subaru should equal quality - fix the head gasket issue. Road noise from frameless doors is obnoxious. No outside temp. gauge for a ski car? Crazy.