2000 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
Great gas mileage even on snowy VT roads
By Travis on 03/28/06 18:34 PM (PST)

2000 Subaru Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

Get a stick shift! it makes the experience of driving this car 100 times better. Automatics are boring. Be exciting. Drive a stick shift!

Dud
By nredant1 on 08/29/05 12:59 PM (PDT)

2000 Subaru Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

It hurts to write this review because I am a huge fan of Subaru. The 4 cylinder engine is just way too underpowered. It was life/death trying to merge onto highways. Also, the car's mechanics were a disaster. The check engine light was on non-stop after about 10,000 miles. After about 50K mikes, the engine ignition coil failed 3 times over a 36 month period. For those who don't know, when your engine coil fails, your cylinders stop firing. Not a fun proposition when driving on major Philly highways, but at least it was still under warranty. Ultimately, the experience wasn't too bad as the manufacturer helped me locate a new Subaru and offered me $1K off. They were very helpful

Head Gasgets blown twice
By Steve on 08/14/05 10:22 AM (PDT)

2000 Subaru Outback Limited 4dr Wagon AWD

We have had several Subarus but this one started having problems...head gasget went at 60k then again at 110k, radiator went at 110k, CV Boot replaced 2x, plus other problems..one major plus is Subaru stood behind their vehicle and covered the head gasget even when out of warranty.

I am going to miss it.
By montanagirl on 03/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Subaru Outback Limited 4dr Sedan AWD

Overall I have loved my Subarus but after my recent massive outpouring of money to get a new engine for my 2000 subaru limited outback sedan, I will never buy another one. I have 90,000 miles on my car and needed a new engine it was/is ridiculous. The engine was insanely expensive and still doesn't run perfectly. The car performed great on my montana winter roads, was comfortable to drive, needs more power but I suppose that is why they introduced the 6 cylinder model.

Bad Clutch and blown head gasket
By Bob Rian on 03/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Subaru Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

Clutch has shudder and rotten egg smell from day one and dealer will do nothing about it. Blown head gasket at 34,100 miles. Service Bulletin says put in special conditioning coolant to prevent leakeage. Wheel wells quickly build up with ice in winter conditions. When new the check engine light resulted in 4 trips to the dealer. Factory Firestone tires are poor in snow.

Solid ride
By MOutback on 01/29/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Subaru Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

This car is solid, but needs more power and refinement. The ride is smooth, handling is balanced, interior is comfortable, traction is superb, and ergonomics are decent. Of course, the key selling point was the AWD and Subaru dependability, which have proven their worth. Plus, it's good looking. After 38K miles, the only problem I've had was a bad AC compressor, which was covered by the warranty. But I'm glad I don't have the McIntosh stereo (what a loser). I'd gladly buy another, especially the 2005 model, which promises to be an excellent improvement.

cool wagon
By madcow on 01/25/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Subaru Outback Limited 4dr Wagon AWD

great car.practical and the sunroofs give it a little "edge" in the fun to drive factor considering that it is a family station wagon..

Great Car
By bdpharmacy on 01/05/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Subaru Outback Limited 4dr Sedan AWD

Excellent car. Has been a great car for my wife in the snowy WV mountains.

The right choice
By noop on 01/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Subaru Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

I've been driving a 2000 wagon for three and a half years. Comfortable, secure car. A little wind noise from the driver's window and one recall (haven't had time to follow up on that yet), but no problems otherwise. Will probably get an '05 next fall. For me, just about the perfect car, and I don't understand how anyone can call it underpowered. It isn't, even with a fully loaded roof rack and cargo area: luggage, dogs, computer, printer,every square inch packed.

Absolutely LOVE my Subaru!!
By jcanz on 10/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Subaru Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

My husband and I just bought a used 2000 Outback wagon to replace our bloated old gas guzzling boat of an SUV. It was definitely the wisest thing we ever did. I feel very safe driving this vehicle-- the AWD is the best. Our dogs love the LARGE cargo area.