Used 2000 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews - 59 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

2000 Subaru Outback

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Head Gasket and Sway Bar - Ouch!
By ensoniqman

2000 Subaru Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

We bought our 2000 Subaru Outback Wagon as second owners over 4 years ago & the engine has slowing been declining since then. Great looks and reputation, but I wish we had researched the engine a little more. Head gaskets are known for blowing at under 100k miles on these Subarus, and our was no exception. The front sway bar also sheared off. Never had this problem with my Toyota or Hondas in the past. We also had an oil analysis performed by Blackstone Laboratories three years ago. Their results came in good, but that was before the gasket blew. We maintained the engine regularly with a new belt, synthetic oil, new plugs & filter.

Sleek style, sporty drive, AWD. Upholstery and paint held up well. Runs quiet on synthetic oil.

Research these motors; they will blow head gaskets soon, even though properly maintained. Needs better gas mileage & factory willingness to fix a defective sway bar design. More room for people over 6' in height.

Highly Recommend
By smColour

2000 Subaru Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

I highly recommend this car to anyone who regularly drives in not so good road conditions. This car was my first real purchase at age 18 and I love every second with it. With the winter weather conditions of 8 feet of snow in Southern Oregon, this car has had no problem it it. It is comfortable in long road trips and very reliable. Nothing has gone wrong with it (knock on wood) but even if something does, the performance I've had so far already makes up for any future errors. It doesn't get the best mileage, although for all wheel drive it's pretty good. I love my Subaru Outback and wouldn't make a trade for anything.

All wheel drive, heated seats, sound system, reliability, spacious cargo, heater/ac works great and easy access to anything mechanical.

Better gas mileage, but every car could use that.

Awesome in the snow.
By Loved my outback

2000 Subaru Outback Limited 4dr Wagon AWD

We had our Subaru Outback since 2000 until my husband totaled it. This is a great car. Not much room to fit a big family, but great in the snow. Great second car. We are thinking about getting another one just because how safe we feel driving this on any type of road conditions. Never had mechanical problems, except regular maintenance,. Great car... I am sorely going to miss ours.

Driving in snow.

Back seat not much room. However, I wasn't planning on sitting back there much. It's comfortable for 2 kids though.

Worst car I ever owned
By ely

2000 Subaru Outback Limited 4dr Wagon AWD

Within a year, the head gasket blew, damaging the radiator, and leaving me stranded in the desert. Since it was almost out of warranty, the dealer kept saying he didn't know what the problem was. As soon as the gasket was out of warranty, the dealer miraculously diagnosed the problem. Subaru covered only a small % of the nearly $2,000 bill. Other problems: catalytic converter (engine light always on); heat shield always coming loose; ball joint replaced several times; broken sway bar; 2 transmissions in 4 months; engine stills runs so hot it feels like heater is on; noisy; poor acceleration.

Good sound system. Compass is helpful. Good cargo space.

What needs improvement on this car is listed in the Review section.

Too Much Money for Too Many Problems
By Caroline

2000 Subaru Outback Limited 4dr Wagon AWD

I was pretty enamored of this car with all its bells and whistles, but it ended up not being worth it. I've had to replace the transmission among lots of piddly, annoying stuff. The gaskets around the doors/windows have all come loose, the hatch back door handle doesn't spring back anymore, just replaced the burned out rear wiper motor, replaced the hyrdraulic lifts on the hatch - all within the last year and a half! My 16 year-old Honda has fewer problems and starts and goes just as reliably! No more Subies for me.

AWD is nice for the times I didn't want to shovel my driveway, but not worth the lack of power and gas mileage. Again, bells and whistles were nice, but I'm not fooled by that anymore.

Pay attention to the little details and start making cars that have better fuel efficiency. We all know it's possible!