2000 Subaru Outback Consumer Review: 2000 Outback

2000 Subaru Outback - Consumer Review

Base Wagon (2.5L 4-cyl. AWD 5-speed Manual)

2000 Outback
By Arunninreb on

2000 Subaru Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

For the most part my Subaru has been reliable and very fun to drive. Good service has been difficult to obtain, and repair parts are even harder. The car was involved in a high-speed freeway accident that could have been a life-threatening rollover in an SUV. Overall, the car came out of the accident fairly well (it's been repaired and I still own it) and the occupants (my wife and child) were unharmed. Overall I have enjoyed owning this car. I highly recommend it as a family-car alternative to SUV's, due to the excellent fuel economy, handling, safety, and cargo room. I may buy another one..

This car handles great. The all-wheel drive makes this car extremely fun to drive on twisty mountainous roads (and off-roads). Cargo room is great for a car this size. Safety and structural integrity are excellent.

The four-cylinder engine is underpowered, especially for city driving; six-cylinder is now only available in upscale models. Parts are hard to find, and build quality is not as good as I expected.