Used 2000 Subaru Outback Base Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Head Gasket and Sway Bar - Ouch!
By ensoniqman

2000 Subaru Outback Wagon 4dr Wagon AWD

We bought our 2000 Subaru Outback Wagon as second owners over 4 years ago & the engine has slowing been declining since then. Great looks and reputation, but I wish we had researched the engine a little more. Head gaskets are known for blowing at under 100k miles on these Subarus, and our was no exception. The front sway bar also sheared off. Never had this problem with my Toyota or Hondas in the past. We also had an oil analysis performed by Blackstone Laboratories three years ago. Their results came in good, but that was before the gasket blew. We maintained the engine regularly with a new belt, synthetic oil, new plugs & filter.

Sleek style, sporty drive, AWD. Upholstery and paint held up well. Runs quiet on synthetic oil.

Research these motors; they will blow head gaskets soon, even though properly maintained. Needs better gas mileage & factory willingness to fix a defective sway bar design. More room for people over 6' in height.

Highly Recommend
By smColour

2000 Subaru Outback Wagon 4dr Wagon AWD

I highly recommend this car to anyone who regularly drives in not so good road conditions. This car was my first real purchase at age 18 and I love every second with it. With the winter weather conditions of 8 feet of snow in Southern Oregon, this car has had no problem it it. It is comfortable in long road trips and very reliable. Nothing has gone wrong with it (knock on wood) but even if something does, the performance I've had so far already makes up for any future errors. It doesn't get the best mileage, although for all wheel drive it's pretty good. I love my Subaru Outback and wouldn't make a trade for anything.

All wheel drive, heated seats, sound system, reliability, spacious cargo, heater/ac works great and easy access to anything mechanical.

Better gas mileage, but every car could use that.

2000 Subaru Outback Wagon
By Misha

2000 Subaru Outback Wagon 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought this car based on safety and reliability records. At 80,000 miles I had to replace the trans, to the tune of $3700. I drive 2 kids around the suburbs of chicago - what more can I say? I also just found out that my head gasket needs replacing ($1300) although at 110,000 miles I suppose that's not out of the question. Mechanical issues aside, I love this car, although it is noisy above 60mph, it can't be beat on chicago's winter roads. It's a great option to the gas-guzzling suv. I had planned on driving this into the ground; I was just hoping that the "ground" was a little further away.

heated seats, good sound system, fuel economy, and oh-so-great traction.

Improved noise control over 60 and improved reliability.

Seven Years in
By Subie Man

2000 Subaru Outback Wagon 4dr Wagon AWD

Purchased new, now have 77K on it. I love Subarus, and this one has its highs and one low. Snow and wet conditions cannot stop this car. I have tried to lose traction (all season radial tires, not snow rated) and can't. Love the reliability except for the head gasket that needed replacing - the car was past warranty (uh-oh), yet Subaru covered it (phew). No other repair issues, brakes are still fine, even. 20/27 MPG, even with Thule box on top.

AWD, few repair issues, decent gas mileage.

Subaru should equal quality - fix the head gasket issue. Road noise from frameless doors is obnoxious. No outside temp. gauge for a ski car? Crazy.

Was a good car
By Rh1112

2000 Subaru Outback Wagon 4dr Wagon AWD

Just in the last 2 years I feel like this car turned into the What Next car. Headgasket replaced during warranty, at around 34000 miles. Needs it again at 113000. Last year rebuilt the tranny and replace CV boots, $2500. This year rear O2 sensor, $500, due to check engine light. Then the catalytic converter, $1500, also due to check engine light. Still needs head gasket and oil leak repair, would be around $2500. I put in $4500, I can't afford another $2500. I have to DUMP THIS CAR! I was really hoping to drive this for a few more years, but now have to get rid of it.

The wipers need to be intermittent. I often had to turn them off and on manually for light rain. FIX the head gasket issue.