Used 2000 Subaru Outback Base Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

2000 Subaru Outback Wagon

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

GET A CLUE BUY A SUBARU!
By outbacksleeper

2000 Subaru Outback Wagon 4dr Wagon AWD

Seriously been reading some of these reviews and they are a joke! My Outback has 220K miles on it AND RUNS LIKE A CHAMP! purchased this car off of a friend that did next to no maintenance at 200K, and after only 500 dollars in little things, I can beat the Mustangs off the line! Head Gaskets at 100k are NOT normal to be replaced, and my car was ran hard before owning, unlike other people complaining it's not an issue (lemons?) Tranny is awesome, Handling superb, gas mileage is excellent for an AWD. only issue is the Check Engine Light pops on and off, but that is because of the Cat conv. O2 sensor which is a KNOWN BUG, nothing to worry about though. DEF BUY THIS CAR, IT's BULLET PROOF!

Favorite Features

AWD, 5 Speed Transmission. Dash Layout, Premium Sound system, ABS, Performance both off road and on. Handling in corners, Storage space!!! Easily Maintained! oh and the look on sports car owners faces when a wagon out runs them in a quarter mile!

Suggested Improvements

NONE!

Couldn't make it to 100,000 miles!
By Jenster

2000 Subaru Outback Wagon 4dr Wagon AWD

This car was great in SLC where we bought it, but as soon as we headed east in 2008 the trouble all started. 85000 miles & middle of Iowa and catalytic converter blew and needed replaced. Which we just replaced AGAIN a week ago due to check engine light. The car has 112,000 miles and has had 2 catalytic converters, knock sensor, 2 O2 sensors, and a cracked valve repaired all this to the tune of about $8000 in 18 months. Our Toyota Corolla from 1992 runs better than this car. We bought it based on the great ratings of 200000 or more miles... this won't make it! Back to a Toyota owner after this experience.

Favorite Features

Snow Handling.

Suggested Improvements

Better emissions system!!! Less road noise when driving on the highway.

Outback wagon automatic trans, good and bad
By tlpw

2000 Subaru Outback Wagon 4dr Wagon AWD

Interesting edmunds fails to list the cars with auto trans. Had this car since 09, purchased with 120k for $4800 and has 176k on it now. CEL on since 3 months after I bought it; spent way too much trying to figure it out; dealership states due to oxygen sensors, which are supposedly all one part with the catalytic so would have to replace that whole thing-they told me to keep driving it. Lots of front end issues, huge motor/trans vibrations that no one can seem to figure out, dealer or other subaru masters. Wasted lots of cash there too. Happens whenever I'm stopped in gear, always have to take it out of gear. Better mechanical knowledge needed at dealerships. Seat & driving comfort -10

Favorite Features

AWD, space, folding seats, roof racks (where my kayak lives :) I even put the kayak inside last summer--fold the front seat back and it fits right in, although had to tie the trunk down and pad the kayak. It's a great car to haul things in and on. Great stock sound system. Despite the major mechanical and comfort flaws, the car just keeps on going. Interior carpets and seat materials have held up far better than expected for a 13 year old car, not a rip, tear, or thin spot. And I beat the inside of my vehicle with kayaking, fly fishing, camping, mud, dirt roads, etc. Hats off to the interior durability.

Suggested Improvements

Subaru to this day hasn't learned that, in the outback or the forrester, the gas pedal does not belong to the right, right up against the hump. It is very uncomfortable to drive, and contributes to constant back and leg pain. Little leg room-I'm short, needseat fully forward to not drive with my toes. I'm 5'4", my dad is 5'8" and he can't fit in it. Someday maybe they'll figure out this fatal space flaw. This vehicle lacks comfort in the seats; little lumbar support & poor seat cushioning, I had to buy multiple pads and back supports to survive it. Guess what-pads + no head room makes for a really crappy, uncomfortable ride. I've checked out the new ones, & not much has changed.

Was a good car
By Rh1112

2000 Subaru Outback Wagon 4dr Wagon AWD

Just in the last 2 years I feel like this car turned into the What Next car. Headgasket replaced during warranty, at around 34000 miles. Needs it again at 113000. Last year rebuilt the tranny and replace CV boots, $2500. This year rear O2 sensor, $500, due to check engine light. Then the catalytic converter, $1500, also due to check engine light. Still needs head gasket and oil leak repair, would be around $2500. I put in $4500, I can't afford another $2500. I have to DUMP THIS CAR! I was really hoping to drive this for a few more years, but now have to get rid of it.

Suggested Improvements

The wipers need to be intermittent. I often had to turn them off and on manually for light rain. FIX the head gasket issue.

Solid Vehicle
By jkwcivil

2000 Subaru Outback Wagon 4dr Wagon AWD

I purchased this car used in September '09 with approximately 41,000 miles. Since then I've driven 10,000 miles in different conditions, including ice and mud, and I've found this to be a solid and reliable vehicle. It has the four cylinder engine. I get 23 to 24 mpg with 50% highway and 50% in town. I admit that I'm not an aggressive driver. Most others would probably get a lower gas mileage reading. The suspension is very much like an SUV when traveling off-road or over rough pavement. The all wheel drive gives a secure feeling when the roads are slick. I can see why Subarus are popular in northern states.

Favorite Features

I like the simplistic design of dashboard (stereo, air conditioning, etc.), the long travel suspension, all wheel drive and the ability to fold the rear seats into a deck that is completely flat.

Suggested Improvements

Much of the improvements that I can think of have been made to the later models. For instance, I wish I could lay one side of the rear seat flat. I cannot due to the lower seat cushion being a solid piece.