Used 2000 Subaru Outback Limited Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Comfortable, reliable value!
By sunnyedog

2000 Subaru Outback Limited 4dr Wagon AWD

I purchased this vehicle 7 years ago and drove the heck out of it. And just like the Eveready Bunny it keeps on going 170,000 miles later, always providing ample power and handling on road and off. I can fit a 36" dog crate in the rear cargo area. Paint has held up looking a clean and shiny as the day I bought it. Mechanically, appearance and comfort have always met or exceeded my expectations. I am about to trade in for a minivan (to increase cargo space). I will miss my Outback LTD Wagon, the quality and performance, comfort and it has always been reliable!

Where do I start, great AWD from street to dirt road, heavily wet roads. Durable and attractive interior. Superb performance. I make use of all the LTD features! Safety. Great braking ability. I have been broadsided and the car protected me.

On the 2000 model the rear bench doesn't split so that a portion of the rear seat could be folded flat. However the entire seat does fold flat.

Good car, questionable transmission
By Rod

2000 Subaru Outback Limited 4dr Wagon AWD

The car handles fine and looks good. We have been happy with the car until last week. We just had the car towed to the dealership because transmission would not engage when put in drive. It had been hesitating for several seconds before engaging. Dealership immediately suggested a new transmission, or a flush, which may get it operating again, but don't know for how long. We opted for flush ($400), and transmission works - for now. But still a slight hesitation after shifting into drive. From other internet sources, this may be a common problem. Dealer seemed to have seen it before. Now we plan to trade it. A shame, we were hoping to keep it for 200K miles.

Fold down rear seats 60/40. Very large cargo area.

Seats could be more comfortable. Needs a little more power.

Head Gasgets blown twice
By Steve

2000 Subaru Outback Limited 4dr Wagon AWD

We have had several Subarus but this one started having problems...head gasget went at 60k then again at 110k, radiator went at 110k, CV Boot replaced 2x, plus other problems..one major plus is Subaru stood behind their vehicle and covered the head gasget even when out of warranty.

Interior Design, AWD,

Power....

cool wagon
By madcow

2000 Subaru Outback Limited 4dr Wagon AWD

great car.practical and the sunroofs give it a little "edge" in the fun to drive factor considering that it is a family station wagon..

overall interior design

more power.....

New to Us
By 759397

2000 Subaru Outback Limited 4dr Wagon AWD

We bought this car three months ago in May 2003 with 28K miles. Obviously I have only driven it for three months but 5K miles have been put on. I like the design of the car, the interior space and winter performance were the selling points for me. The seats are comfy, the manual shifts nice. The clutch is alright, not great and has some shake, but no big deal. Brakes are a little mushy compared to what I am used to. Stereo is nice for a stock unit and the headlights and foglights are killer for seeing through the darkest roads. I don't have any wind noise and I have the full rack on top.

Interior room. Safety. Reliability. All-weather comfort. Car really handles well for a taller vehicle.....very surprising, no body sway for quick avoidance moves.

As usual more power. A Turbo 4 would be nice. Something still available under $28k with closer to 200 HP without blowing huge coin for the 6....$33K is stiff for a soft 6.