2000 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
Never Another Subaru
By Tom on 11/03/06 15:09 PM (PST)

2000 Subaru Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

This car has been a money pit. Head gasket blew at 58k, fortunately covered under warranty, but now at 125K am told that it needs another head gasket ($1700). According to many internet sites this has been a problem but one Subaru refuses to acknowledge. Both front wheel bearings went out to a tune of $550 each. When brakes needed to be replaced, everything had to be replaced $850. Check engine light comes on on a regular basis the same sensor has been replaced 3 times, $550. The last time check engine light came, technician said code indicated possible bad catalytic converter, $1600 to replace if needed.

AWD Kicks!
By kalliday on 10/03/06 18:18 PM (PDT)

2000 Subaru Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

This car was an impulse buy and despite my research beforehand and then afterward, it has not been worth the money 10 times over. Check engine light is always on and off (catalytic converter), goes through a whole set of brakes and rotors in less than a year (and I am NOT driving like a maniac!), acceleration is crappy, alignment is never quite right, need I continue? Unfortunately for Subaru, this is my second and the last (I had a 1999 Forester before that which was great but no lumbar support).

Great gas mileage even on snowy VT roads
By Travis on 03/28/06 18:34 PM (PST)

2000 Subaru Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

Get a stick shift! it makes the experience of driving this car 100 times better. Automatics are boring. Be exciting. Drive a stick shift!

Dud
By nredant1 on 08/29/05 12:59 PM (PDT)

2000 Subaru Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

It hurts to write this review because I am a huge fan of Subaru. The 4 cylinder engine is just way too underpowered. It was life/death trying to merge onto highways. Also, the car's mechanics were a disaster. The check engine light was on non-stop after about 10,000 miles. After about 50K mikes, the engine ignition coil failed 3 times over a 36 month period. For those who don't know, when your engine coil fails, your cylinders stop firing. Not a fun proposition when driving on major Philly highways, but at least it was still under warranty. Ultimately, the experience wasn't too bad as the manufacturer helped me locate a new Subaru and offered me $1K off. They were very helpful

Bad Clutch and blown head gasket
By Bob Rian on 03/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Subaru Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

Clutch has shudder and rotten egg smell from day one and dealer will do nothing about it. Blown head gasket at 34,100 miles. Service Bulletin says put in special conditioning coolant to prevent leakeage. Wheel wells quickly build up with ice in winter conditions. When new the check engine light resulted in 4 trips to the dealer. Factory Firestone tires are poor in snow.

Solid ride
By MOutback on 01/29/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Subaru Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

This car is solid, but needs more power and refinement. The ride is smooth, handling is balanced, interior is comfortable, traction is superb, and ergonomics are decent. Of course, the key selling point was the AWD and Subaru dependability, which have proven their worth. Plus, it's good looking. After 38K miles, the only problem I've had was a bad AC compressor, which was covered by the warranty. But I'm glad I don't have the McIntosh stereo (what a loser). I'd gladly buy another, especially the 2005 model, which promises to be an excellent improvement.

The right choice
By noop on 01/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Subaru Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

I've been driving a 2000 wagon for three and a half years. Comfortable, secure car. A little wind noise from the driver's window and one recall (haven't had time to follow up on that yet), but no problems otherwise. Will probably get an '05 next fall. For me, just about the perfect car, and I don't understand how anyone can call it underpowered. It isn't, even with a fully loaded roof rack and cargo area: luggage, dogs, computer, printer,every square inch packed.

Absolutely LOVE my Subaru!!
By jcanz on 10/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Subaru Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

My husband and I just bought a used 2000 Outback wagon to replace our bloated old gas guzzling boat of an SUV. It was definitely the wisest thing we ever did. I feel very safe driving this vehicle-- the AWD is the best. Our dogs love the LARGE cargo area.

Solid & Dependable
By mkhappy on 09/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Subaru Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

We have put a ton of miles in a short time and have enjoyed every mile. The car is comfortable, easy to drive and very reliable. I haul camping equip, music equip, and bikes...Will probably buy another as soon as it makes sense.

excellent all around car
By Joe Q. Smith on 07/28/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Subaru Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

the Outback is an excellent all around car, with average gas mileage at 23 mpg, and up to 29 on the highway.