Used 2000 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
Awesome in the snow.
By Loved my outback on 12/11/08 05:13 AM (PST)

2000 Subaru Outback Limited 4dr Wagon AWD

We had our Subaru Outback since 2000 until my husband totaled it. This is a great car. Not much room to fit a big family, but great in the snow. Great second car. We are thinking about getting another one just because how safe we feel driving this on any type of road conditions. Never had mechanical problems, except regular maintenance,. Great car... I am sorely going to miss ours.

Worst car I ever owned
By ely on 08/08/08 03:38 AM (PDT)

2000 Subaru Outback Limited 4dr Wagon AWD

Within a year, the head gasket blew, damaging the radiator, and leaving me stranded in the desert. Since it was almost out of warranty, the dealer kept saying he didn't know what the problem was. As soon as the gasket was out of warranty, the dealer miraculously diagnosed the problem. Subaru covered only a small % of the nearly $2,000 bill. Other problems: catalytic converter (engine light always on); heat shield always coming loose; ball joint replaced several times; broken sway bar; 2 transmissions in 4 months; engine stills runs so hot it feels like heater is on; noisy; poor acceleration.

Too Much Money for Too Many Problems
By Caroline on 05/31/08 12:28 PM (PDT)

2000 Subaru Outback Limited 4dr Wagon AWD

I was pretty enamored of this car with all its bells and whistles, but it ended up not being worth it. I've had to replace the transmission among lots of piddly, annoying stuff. The gaskets around the doors/windows have all come loose, the hatch back door handle doesn't spring back anymore, just replaced the burned out rear wiper motor, replaced the hyrdraulic lifts on the hatch - all within the last year and a half! My 16 year-old Honda has fewer problems and starts and goes just as reliably! No more Subies for me.

2000 Subaru Outback Wagon
By Misha on 02/15/08 04:15 AM (PST)

2000 Subaru Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought this car based on safety and reliability records. At 80,000 miles I had to replace the trans, to the tune of $3700. I drive 2 kids around the suburbs of chicago - what more can I say? I also just found out that my head gasket needs replacing ($1300) although at 110,000 miles I suppose that's not out of the question. Mechanical issues aside, I love this car, although it is noisy above 60mph, it can't be beat on chicago's winter roads. It's a great option to the gas-guzzling suv. I had planned on driving this into the ground; I was just hoping that the "ground" was a little further away.

Seven Years in
By Subie Man on 08/25/07 14:19 PM (PDT)

2000 Subaru Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

Purchased new, now have 77K on it. I love Subarus, and this one has its highs and one low. Snow and wet conditions cannot stop this car. I have tried to lose traction (all season radial tires, not snow rated) and can't. Love the reliability except for the head gasket that needed replacing - the car was past warranty (uh-oh), yet Subaru covered it (phew). No other repair issues, brakes are still fine, even. 20/27 MPG, even with Thule box on top.

Comfortable, reliable value!
By sunnyedog on 06/01/07 10:16 AM (PDT)

2000 Subaru Outback Limited 4dr Wagon AWD

I purchased this vehicle 7 years ago and drove the heck out of it. And just like the Eveready Bunny it keeps on going 170,000 miles later, always providing ample power and handling on road and off. I can fit a 36" dog crate in the rear cargo area. Paint has held up looking a clean and shiny as the day I bought it. Mechanically, appearance and comfort have always met or exceeded my expectations. I am about to trade in for a minivan (to increase cargo space). I will miss my Outback LTD Wagon, the quality and performance, comfort and it has always been reliable!

Was a good car
By Rh1112 on 04/17/07 11:09 AM (PDT)

2000 Subaru Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

Just in the last 2 years I feel like this car turned into the What Next car. Headgasket replaced during warranty, at around 34000 miles. Needs it again at 113000. Last year rebuilt the tranny and replace CV boots, $2500. This year rear O2 sensor, $500, due to check engine light. Then the catalytic converter, $1500, also due to check engine light. Still needs head gasket and oil leak repair, would be around $2500. I put in $4500, I can't afford another $2500. I have to DUMP THIS CAR! I was really hoping to drive this for a few more years, but now have to get rid of it.

Never Another Subaru
By Tom on 11/03/06 15:09 PM (PST)

2000 Subaru Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

This car has been a money pit. Head gasket blew at 58k, fortunately covered under warranty, but now at 125K am told that it needs another head gasket ($1700). According to many internet sites this has been a problem but one Subaru refuses to acknowledge. Both front wheel bearings went out to a tune of $550 each. When brakes needed to be replaced, everything had to be replaced $850. Check engine light comes on on a regular basis the same sensor has been replaced 3 times, $550. The last time check engine light came, technician said code indicated possible bad catalytic converter, $1600 to replace if needed.

AWD Kicks!
By kalliday on 10/03/06 18:18 PM (PDT)

2000 Subaru Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

This car was an impulse buy and despite my research beforehand and then afterward, it has not been worth the money 10 times over. Check engine light is always on and off (catalytic converter), goes through a whole set of brakes and rotors in less than a year (and I am NOT driving like a maniac!), acceleration is crappy, alignment is never quite right, need I continue? Unfortunately for Subaru, this is my second and the last (I had a 1999 Forester before that which was great but no lumbar support).

Good car, questionable transmission
By Rod on 04/08/06 12:57 PM (PDT)

2000 Subaru Outback Limited 4dr Wagon AWD

The car handles fine and looks good. We have been happy with the car until last week. We just had the car towed to the dealership because transmission would not engage when put in drive. It had been hesitating for several seconds before engaging. Dealership immediately suggested a new transmission, or a flush, which may get it operating again, but don't know for how long. We opted for flush ($400), and transmission works - for now. But still a slight hesitation after shifting into drive. From other internet sources, this may be a common problem. Dealer seemed to have seen it before. Now we plan to trade it. A shame, we were hoping to keep it for 200K miles.