2000 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
Love/hate
By brenda on 07/26/10 16:18 PM (PDT)

2000 Subaru Outback Wagon Limited 4dr Wagon AWD

Overall same issues most have had with this vehicle. Head gasket went at 90k, check engine light always coming on. Oxygen sensor, at 165k tensioner on timing belt went out. Basically had to rebuild the engine. New alternator and ac. Have had several thousand $$ worth of repairs. A lot of wind noise on the hwy. On the plus side, awd is awesome, only limited by the clearance. Really like the look of the car. I loved the vehicles performance overall but disappointed with the amt of $$ I had to shell out on repairs. Wish Subaru would fix some of the mechanical issues as I probably will not buy another Subaru unless some assurance that these common problems have been resolved.

Great Car!
By great car!! on 03/07/10 08:49 AM (PST)

2000 Subaru Outback Wagon Limited 4dr Wagon AWD

I have had this car for many years and it has been a great car. Sure it is underpowered compared to new cars out there but the Fuel eco is pretty good. Handles great in the snow. Now has 112K and had to replace a leaking header but thats expected with this many miles. Comfort is good and I have taken this thing on some pretty hairy dirt roads and it really does well. The look of the car really seems like its timeless.

Awesome in the snow.
By Loved my outback on 12/11/08 05:13 AM (PST)

2000 Subaru Outback Wagon Limited 4dr Wagon AWD

We had our Subaru Outback since 2000 until my husband totaled it. This is a great car. Not much room to fit a big family, but great in the snow. Great second car. We are thinking about getting another one just because how safe we feel driving this on any type of road conditions. Never had mechanical problems, except regular maintenance,. Great car... I am sorely going to miss ours.

Worst car I ever owned
By ely on 08/08/08 03:38 AM (PDT)

2000 Subaru Outback Wagon Limited 4dr Wagon AWD

Within a year, the head gasket blew, damaging the radiator, and leaving me stranded in the desert. Since it was almost out of warranty, the dealer kept saying he didn't know what the problem was. As soon as the gasket was out of warranty, the dealer miraculously diagnosed the problem. Subaru covered only a small % of the nearly $2,000 bill. Other problems: catalytic converter (engine light always on); heat shield always coming loose; ball joint replaced several times; broken sway bar; 2 transmissions in 4 months; engine stills runs so hot it feels like heater is on; noisy; poor acceleration.

Too Much Money for Too Many Problems
By Caroline on 05/31/08 12:28 PM (PDT)

2000 Subaru Outback Wagon Limited 4dr Wagon AWD

I was pretty enamored of this car with all its bells and whistles, but it ended up not being worth it. I've had to replace the transmission among lots of piddly, annoying stuff. The gaskets around the doors/windows have all come loose, the hatch back door handle doesn't spring back anymore, just replaced the burned out rear wiper motor, replaced the hyrdraulic lifts on the hatch - all within the last year and a half! My 16 year-old Honda has fewer problems and starts and goes just as reliably! No more Subies for me.

Comfortable, reliable value!
By sunnyedog on 06/01/07 10:16 AM (PDT)

2000 Subaru Outback Wagon Limited 4dr Wagon AWD

I purchased this vehicle 7 years ago and drove the heck out of it. And just like the Eveready Bunny it keeps on going 170,000 miles later, always providing ample power and handling on road and off. I can fit a 36" dog crate in the rear cargo area. Paint has held up looking a clean and shiny as the day I bought it. Mechanically, appearance and comfort have always met or exceeded my expectations. I am about to trade in for a minivan (to increase cargo space). I will miss my Outback LTD Wagon, the quality and performance, comfort and it has always been reliable!

Good car, questionable transmission
By Rod on 04/08/06 12:57 PM (PDT)

2000 Subaru Outback Wagon Limited 4dr Wagon AWD

The car handles fine and looks good. We have been happy with the car until last week. We just had the car towed to the dealership because transmission would not engage when put in drive. It had been hesitating for several seconds before engaging. Dealership immediately suggested a new transmission, or a flush, which may get it operating again, but don't know for how long. We opted for flush ($400), and transmission works - for now. But still a slight hesitation after shifting into drive. From other internet sources, this may be a common problem. Dealer seemed to have seen it before. Now we plan to trade it. A shame, we were hoping to keep it for 200K miles.

Head Gasgets blown twice
By Steve on 08/14/05 10:22 AM (PDT)

2000 Subaru Outback Wagon Limited 4dr Wagon AWD

We have had several Subarus but this one started having problems...head gasget went at 60k then again at 110k, radiator went at 110k, CV Boot replaced 2x, plus other problems..one major plus is Subaru stood behind their vehicle and covered the head gasget even when out of warranty.

cool wagon
By madcow on 01/25/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Subaru Outback Wagon Limited 4dr Wagon AWD

great car.practical and the sunroofs give it a little "edge" in the fun to drive factor considering that it is a family station wagon..

New to Us
By 759397 on 07/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Subaru Outback Wagon Limited 4dr Wagon AWD

We bought this car three months ago in May 2003 with 28K miles. Obviously I have only driven it for three months but 5K miles have been put on. I like the design of the car, the interior space and winter performance were the selling points for me. The seats are comfy, the manual shifts nice. The clutch is alright, not great and has some shake, but no big deal. Brakes are a little mushy compared to what I am used to. Stereo is nice for a stock unit and the headlights and foglights are killer for seeing through the darkest roads. I don't have any wind noise and I have the full rack on top.