Used 2000 Subaru Outback Limited Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Love/hate
By brenda

2000 Subaru Outback Wagon Limited 4dr Wagon AWD

Overall same issues most have had with this vehicle. Head gasket went at 90k, check engine light always coming on. Oxygen sensor, at 165k tensioner on timing belt went out. Basically had to rebuild the engine. New alternator and ac. Have had several thousand $$ worth of repairs. A lot of wind noise on the hwy. On the plus side, awd is awesome, only limited by the clearance. Really like the look of the car. I loved the vehicles performance overall but disappointed with the amt of $$ I had to shell out on repairs. Wish Subaru would fix some of the mechanical issues as I probably will not buy another Subaru unless some assurance that these common problems have been resolved.

AWD and exterior design. Heated seats.

Correct the head gasket problem. My mechanic could not believe how thin the head gasket was. Better seals on the door and window to cut down on hwy noise

Great Car!
By great car!!

2000 Subaru Outback Wagon Limited 4dr Wagon AWD

I have had this car for many years and it has been a great car. Sure it is underpowered compared to new cars out there but the Fuel eco is pretty good. Handles great in the snow. Now has 112K and had to replace a leaking header but thats expected with this many miles. Comfort is good and I have taken this thing on some pretty hairy dirt roads and it really does well. The look of the car really seems like its timeless.

Awesome in the snow.
By Loved my outback

2000 Subaru Outback Wagon Limited 4dr Wagon AWD

We had our Subaru Outback since 2000 until my husband totaled it. This is a great car. Not much room to fit a big family, but great in the snow. Great second car. We are thinking about getting another one just because how safe we feel driving this on any type of road conditions. Never had mechanical problems, except regular maintenance,. Great car... I am sorely going to miss ours.

Driving in snow.

Back seat not much room. However, I wasn't planning on sitting back there much. It's comfortable for 2 kids though.

Worst car I ever owned
By ely

2000 Subaru Outback Wagon Limited 4dr Wagon AWD

Within a year, the head gasket blew, damaging the radiator, and leaving me stranded in the desert. Since it was almost out of warranty, the dealer kept saying he didn't know what the problem was. As soon as the gasket was out of warranty, the dealer miraculously diagnosed the problem. Subaru covered only a small % of the nearly $2,000 bill. Other problems: catalytic converter (engine light always on); heat shield always coming loose; ball joint replaced several times; broken sway bar; 2 transmissions in 4 months; engine stills runs so hot it feels like heater is on; noisy; poor acceleration.

Good sound system. Compass is helpful. Good cargo space.

What needs improvement on this car is listed in the Review section.

Too Much Money for Too Many Problems
By Caroline

2000 Subaru Outback Wagon Limited 4dr Wagon AWD

I was pretty enamored of this car with all its bells and whistles, but it ended up not being worth it. I've had to replace the transmission among lots of piddly, annoying stuff. The gaskets around the doors/windows have all come loose, the hatch back door handle doesn't spring back anymore, just replaced the burned out rear wiper motor, replaced the hyrdraulic lifts on the hatch - all within the last year and a half! My 16 year-old Honda has fewer problems and starts and goes just as reliably! No more Subies for me.

AWD is nice for the times I didn't want to shovel my driveway, but not worth the lack of power and gas mileage. Again, bells and whistles were nice, but I'm not fooled by that anymore.

Pay attention to the little details and start making cars that have better fuel efficiency. We all know it's possible!