Used 2000 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

2000 Subaru Outback

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

GET A CLUE BUY A SUBARU!
By outbacksleeper

2000 Subaru Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

Seriously been reading some of these reviews and they are a joke! My Outback has 220K miles on it AND RUNS LIKE A CHAMP! purchased this car off of a friend that did next to no maintenance at 200K, and after only 500 dollars in little things, I can beat the Mustangs off the line! Head Gaskets at 100k are NOT normal to be replaced, and my car was ran hard before owning, unlike other people complaining it's not an issue (lemons?) Tranny is awesome, Handling superb, gas mileage is excellent for an AWD. only issue is the Check Engine Light pops on and off, but that is because of the Cat conv. O2 sensor which is a KNOWN BUG, nothing to worry about though. DEF BUY THIS CAR, IT's BULLET PROOF!

Favorite Features

AWD, 5 Speed Transmission. Dash Layout, Premium Sound system, ABS, Performance both off road and on. Handling in corners, Storage space!!! Easily Maintained! oh and the look on sports car owners faces when a wagon out runs them in a quarter mile!

Suggested Improvements

NONE!

Outback wagon automatic trans, good and bad
By tlpw

2000 Subaru Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

Interesting edmunds fails to list the cars with auto trans. Had this car since 09, purchased with 120k for $4800 and has 176k on it now. CEL on since 3 months after I bought it; spent way too much trying to figure it out; dealership states due to oxygen sensors, which are supposedly all one part with the catalytic so would have to replace that whole thing-they told me to keep driving it. Lots of front end issues, huge motor/trans vibrations that no one can seem to figure out, dealer or other subaru masters. Wasted lots of cash there too. Happens whenever I'm stopped in gear, always have to take it out of gear. Better mechanical knowledge needed at dealerships. Seat & driving comfort -10

Favorite Features

AWD, space, folding seats, roof racks (where my kayak lives :) I even put the kayak inside last summer--fold the front seat back and it fits right in, although had to tie the trunk down and pad the kayak. It's a great car to haul things in and on. Great stock sound system. Despite the major mechanical and comfort flaws, the car just keeps on going. Interior carpets and seat materials have held up far better than expected for a 13 year old car, not a rip, tear, or thin spot. And I beat the inside of my vehicle with kayaking, fly fishing, camping, mud, dirt roads, etc. Hats off to the interior durability.

Suggested Improvements

Subaru to this day hasn't learned that, in the outback or the forrester, the gas pedal does not belong to the right, right up against the hump. It is very uncomfortable to drive, and contributes to constant back and leg pain. Little leg room-I'm short, needseat fully forward to not drive with my toes. I'm 5'4", my dad is 5'8" and he can't fit in it. Someday maybe they'll figure out this fatal space flaw. This vehicle lacks comfort in the seats; little lumbar support & poor seat cushioning, I had to buy multiple pads and back supports to survive it. Guess what-pads + no head room makes for a really crappy, uncomfortable ride. I've checked out the new ones, & not much has changed.

ENGINE PROBLEMS?????
By linkinparker

2000 Subaru Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

If my 2000 outback has engine problems then i say thank god the old owners took care of them, i inherited it from my folks when it had 160k miles on it, after 6 years, its just over 270k miles on it, i write this review mainly for my love for my outback and mind you i have to get rid of it soon and the new models arent as reliable if you see this and want something that reliable, practical, and can carry a occasional heavy item then this is your car. Since i've gotten this car i've only really spent about a grand total into minus the norms, gas, wheels, oil changes, ect. wish subaru made their cars like they did back in the early 2ks.

Favorite Features

RELIABILITY

Suggested Improvements

better gas mileage with 270k i'm still getting about 23 miles a gallon

So far so good
By mark york,pa

2000 Subaru Outback Limited 4dr Sedan AWD

Bought car new in 2000. Have 203k miles Passed down to college daughter. We had an infrequent problem with intermittent stalling and CEL. This had been occurring since new but could not solve the issue. Codes indicated MAP Sensor and replaced with used one for $50. Did NOT solve problem. Did an ECM reprogram for $90 at dealership and fixed problem! We do regular maint and car has been great. Great value, pretty good gas mileage but most importantly safe and reliable. Desirable combination. Would recommend you find a well kept one and go buy it!

Favorite Features

Enjoy premium sound with sub woofer. Road steering feel is good. Easy tp get comfortable in front seats - tight for rear

Suggested Improvements

Brakes are a bit light - not a problem once you adjust

Love/hate
By brenda

2000 Subaru Outback Limited 4dr Wagon AWD

Overall same issues most have had with this vehicle. Head gasket went at 90k, check engine light always coming on. Oxygen sensor, at 165k tensioner on timing belt went out. Basically had to rebuild the engine. New alternator and ac. Have had several thousand $$ worth of repairs. A lot of wind noise on the hwy. On the plus side, awd is awesome, only limited by the clearance. Really like the look of the car. I loved the vehicles performance overall but disappointed with the amt of $$ I had to shell out on repairs. Wish Subaru would fix some of the mechanical issues as I probably will not buy another Subaru unless some assurance that these common problems have been resolved.

Favorite Features

AWD and exterior design. Heated seats.

Suggested Improvements

Correct the head gasket problem. My mechanic could not believe how thin the head gasket was. Better seals on the door and window to cut down on hwy noise