Used 1992 Subaru Loyale Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Subaru Loyale - Consumer Reviews

1992 Subaru Loyale

View reviews for a specific Loyale model:

Bought new, cheap maint, good mileage
By mark u

1992 Subaru Loyale 4dr Wagon 4WD

Bought new and only thing other than maintenance is EGR valve and fixing oil leaks. 133k for clutch, 90k and 70k for brakes and 182,000 miles on it now. I live in hills and still average 30 mpg with 80% commuting. It does leak oil now but I don't want to spend the money at this point to fix them. Uses very little oil (1/2 qt to change) very practical 4WD. It does go through CV boots. Only current problem is that I need to seem to run thinner oil for cold weather otherwise rattles top end on cold starts. Changed shocks and struts once - they are worn out now but still wears the tires evenly with all other original front end parts.

Favorite Features

Cheap to maintain and run, turn tightly, easy to drive, fits all my music gear

Suggested Improvements

Very noisy engine compared to newer cars. Better gasket system for engine oil leaks. This 1.8L is underpowered fo hills but not bad considering size of car. Barely adequate power for hills with 5sp - automatic would probably dog it

Built to run
By KeithL

1992 Subaru Loyale 4dr Sedan

I've had my Loyale for almost a year now. I use it every day for work, running 5-7 hours straight at a time. It is a very boring style of vehicle, but is the most reliable car I have ever owned. With 160k, I am not afraid to drive it anywhere. As for oil leaks, I had one around the oil pump, so replaced it along with a leaky water pump and new timing belts. Not a drop of oil anywhere now! For $150 in parts and 6 hours work, I can't complain. It is comfortable to drive and all the power options still work, even with Michigan weather!

Favorite Features

Nice cockpit style dash. As reliable as they come mechanically.

Suggested Improvements

Subaru has come a long way in body style since this one!

Facing North temperature
By Guimont

1992 Subaru Loyale 4dr Wagon 4WD

I drive a subaru for 3 years. The 4X4 is wonderful, it can get you out of any snow accumulation.

Favorite Features

4x4 Spacy

Suggested Improvements

design power of engine

OK, but flawed
By sub_guy

1992 Subaru Loyale 4dr Wagon 4WD

The Loyale is a fairly decent car, but at this date in time, the 1992 is probably not for most. There are some stupid design flaws, most noticably that the catalytic converter is right next to the CV boot. The result is that I have had to replace the axle twice in the three + years I have owned it. Plus, old Subarus are notorious for leaking oil. No balls in 4cyl engine.

Favorite Features

4WD, roomy.

Suggested Improvements

more power. better engineering.

Reliable Workhorse
By Roger Phua

1992 Subaru Loyale 4dr Sedan

Amazingly reliable Engine is still strong Starts every time, even on the coldest of days. Air blows colder than my brand new Nissan Altima

Suggested Improvements

Boring shape