1992 Subaru Loyale - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Loyale model:
Bought new, cheap maint, good mileage
By mark u on 09/30/08 22:52 PM (PDT)

1992 Subaru Loyale 4dr Wagon 4WD

Bought new and only thing other than maintenance is EGR valve and fixing oil leaks. 133k for clutch, 90k and 70k for brakes and 182,000 miles on it now. I live in hills and still average 30 mpg with 80% commuting. It does leak oil now but I don't want to spend the money at this point to fix them. Uses very little oil (1/2 qt to change) very practical 4WD. It does go through CV boots. Only current problem is that I need to seem to run thinner oil for cold weather otherwise rattles top end on cold starts. Changed shocks and struts once - they are worn out now but still wears the tires evenly with all other original front end parts.

Built to run
By KeithL on 04/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Subaru Loyale 4dr Sedan

I've had my Loyale for almost a year now. I use it every day for work, running 5-7 hours straight at a time. It is a very boring style of vehicle, but is the most reliable car I have ever owned. With 160k, I am not afraid to drive it anywhere. As for oil leaks, I had one around the oil pump, so replaced it along with a leaky water pump and new timing belts. Not a drop of oil anywhere now! For $150 in parts and 6 hours work, I can't complain. It is comfortable to drive and all the power options still work, even with Michigan weather!

Facing North temperature
By Guimont on 02/26/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1992 Subaru Loyale 4dr Wagon 4WD

I drive a subaru for 3 years. The 4X4 is wonderful, it can get you out of any snow accumulation.

OK, but flawed
By sub_guy on 12/28/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1992 Subaru Loyale 4dr Wagon 4WD

The Loyale is a fairly decent car, but at this date in time, the 1992 is probably not for most. There are some stupid design flaws, most noticably that the catalytic converter is right next to the CV boot. The result is that I have had to replace the axle twice in the three + years I have owned it. Plus, old Subarus are notorious for leaking oil. No balls in 4cyl engine.

Reliable Workhorse
By Roger Phua on 11/11/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1992 Subaru Loyale 4dr Sedan

Amazingly reliable Engine is still strong Starts every time, even on the coldest of days. Air blows colder than my brand new Nissan Altima

Not a bad car.
By Simon on 10/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Subaru Loyale 4dr Wagon 4WD

Although this is a rather dependable veh, the biggest problem is the repair costs. The replacement parts for this car are insane. Many times mechanics, other than actual Subaru delears, are unable or unwilling to do the work due to the complexity of the design. For a low end automobile this not a good thing.

1992 Subaru L 4 dr sedan
By Nir Alperovitz on 03/18/02 15:24 PM (PST)

1992 Subaru Loyale 4dr Sedan

I own this car for ten years now, since new. absulutly the most reliable car ever produced by any car company. Interior design is simple and user friendly. performance is ok but fuel efficiency is superb for the size of its engine. Its an all weather all terrain car that will last forever.