Used 1990 Subaru Loyale Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Subaru Loyale - Consumer Reviews

1990 Subaru Loyale

View reviews for a specific Loyale model:

What a nice surprise.
By Francis P

1990 Subaru Loyale 4dr Wagon 4WD

I have never thought of a Subaru Loyale. but bought it for saving miles on my PT cruiser. I am plesantly surprised at the value to fun ratio. Its a 90 4wd 3spd auto wagon, bought it for 700 from a small dealer with 99400 miles. no oil leak, starts everytime, 4wd works magic on snow mud, and some curb and grade hopping. lots and lots of room not fast but get the job done without questions.

Favorite Features

4wd ofcourse. But the room interior, PRICE, fuel economy, and the overall subaru design of engine drivetrain.

Suggested Improvements

mileage.. but its expected on a 3spd.

4WD Subaru
By GXE

1990 Subaru Loyale Turbo 4dr Wagon 4WD

This car is very dependable. Has never left me stranded and has gone through some high snowfall winters with no problems. Great gas mileage and the 4WD makes winter driving real easy. The only downside is that this car seems to rust to pieces underneath. Almost all my repairs have been due to rust. In addition this car is notorious for engine oil leaks - don't bother getting it done - just live with it. I had the engine rebuilt and 2 years later is leaking again

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, Easy to drive

Suggested Improvements

Rusts like there is no tomorrow. Engine oil leaks

My 4wd subaru loyale wagon
By K. Spernak

1990 Subaru Loyale 4dr Wagon 4WD

If you are looking for a great ski car this is the one! My 1990 subaru wagon will plow through the snow when I see SUV's stuck on the side of the road. I drive to the ski mountain five or six days a week during the winter months. During the summer time it is a great car for lugging around my climbing gear on back roads. If this car can handle southern oregon/ northern california roads and weather it will take anything any other part of the country will offer. If you are a ski bum or outdoor recreationalist this is the car for you!

Favorite Features

The four wheel drive with standard transmition means my 1990 subaru wagon can handle as much snow as mother nature can dump. It has lots of room for me and my gear. It isn't fast but it always starts and handles very well on back roads and in the snow.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing! No need for a fast car anyway! Just something that always starts and handles snow and back roads like a champ!

good ride
By subies rule

1990 Subaru Loyale 4dr Sedan

I have a 2wd w/ 5spd. It was a hand me down but I have had no reason to complain. I got it w/ 155000 miles and it now has 230000 reliable miles on it. The only semi-major repairs have been a water pump and altenator, which usually wear out after that many miles on any car. For a cheap car, the build quality is great and the interior materials are far superior to anything domestic. Gas mileage is 34 for mix driving. It's not fast, but it's cheap, reliable transportation.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage. reliability. great steering feel. comfortable seats. seat and dash materials.

Suggested Improvements

more power, but otherwise a great car

A Proven Vehicle
By mistersnappy

1990 Subaru Loyale 4dr Sedan 4WD

We bought this car from a family member 3 years ago. It has a peppy engine and after a brief engine problem, it has never failed us. We've put over 29,000 miles on it without a problem. The 4WD works like a gem. It's a 5 speed manual and I get 35 miles to the gallon on the highway and around 27 in the city.

Favorite Features

Great Gas Mileage Easy Clutch