2015 Subaru Legacy Sedan Consumer Reviews - 50 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2015 Subaru Legacy Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

Third Subaru....... Last one.
By KR

2015 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Premium 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I want to love my Subaru but....
By Marc

2015 Subaru Legacy Sedan 3.6R Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I bequeathed my 2005 Honda Accord to my daughter so it was time to look for a new car. What I really wanted was out of my price range or just not practical with my family needs. I wanted something a little different and safety was a priority. We owned a 1994 Subaru Imprezza many years ago and it actually saved my wife's life when someone t-boned her. I've owned Hyundais and Nissans and in a previous life in the UK, Mini's (the original), Fords and Vauxhalls. My choices last year came down to the Honda Accord V6 Touring or the Subaru Legacy 3.6R with EyeSight. I eventually picked the Legacy. It's not a bad car, but there just seems something missing that could make it great. The safety equipment is excellent and the eyesight has engaged a couple of times and even stopped the car albeit no impact was imminent. That said, everything else about the car is just OK, it just doesn't stir any emotions and yet, with a big 3.6 engine and all wheel drive, I expected better, sportier handling and road holding, a quieter more compliant ride and better technology. Don't get me wrong, for the price, it's great value. Compare it to a Mercedes, BMW, Audi etc with the same level of equipment and you'll spend at minimum $10K-$15K more. I feel that Subaru played it safe, rather than making an aggressive statement to mid size car buyers. The one thing that really irks me are the ergonomics, which are awful. Our 1994 Imprezza was awesome, you got in and just sunk into a perfect driving position. This goes for other cars I've owned and rented. A year and half on, and I am still unable to find a comfortable driving and seating position. The seats look good but are narrow, very thin and have no side or lateral support. Furthermore, the lumbar even at it's lowest position pushes into my lower back which means the seat part does not support my thighs. If I tilt the seat base up to compensate, I have to recline the seat more for lumbar space and in turn leaves for no upper back support. The foot rest is also too close so I have to rest my left foot next to the break pedal. The steering wheel is at a strange angle too and the dials, while cool looking, are just too far away, as is the touch screen for all of the other controls. Whoever designed the ergonomics needs to take a look at them again. All in all, even on the shortest journeys, including my ten miles each way to and from work, I'm uncomfortable and at this point I'm so frustrated that I'm starting to look at alternatives and just get rid of it. Like the title of this write up states, I want to love my Subaru, but its just not doing it for me and when spending mid $30K on a vehicle that I had expected to keep and pass on to my eleven year old in the years to come. Its very disappointing and while I gave an overall 3 stars, in truth I'd give it 2 1/2.

2015 Subaru Legacy 3.6 limited under performs
By A disappointed 2015 Subaru Legacy 3.6 owner

2015 Subaru Legacy Sedan 3.6R Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

OK here is my verdict on 2015 3.6 Legacy (On a three year lease)
Pros:
• Drive traction
• Safety features
Cons:
• All six cylinders do not fire all of the time, 4 cylinders run until almost red lining.
• Interior rattling noise everywhere. Areas in which you can’t reach to try fix yourself.
• Technology- Radio, Nav, etc. The touch screen does not always respond to touch, you have to hit the section a few times for it except the command.
• The seats have no comfort at all, hard and low quality leather.
• I’ve been back 4 times for 3 different recalls.

I understand this is low to mid 30K car but come on, how much profit does Subaru really need to make.
My wife and I can’t wait for the lease to be over!

Once a Subaru admirer.

Good, but not great. Needs improvements.
By Camelot Community Girl

2015 Subaru Legacy Sedan 3.6R Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I owned a Toyota Camry LE for 11 years before recently trading it for a CPO 2015 Subaru Legacy 3.6R Limited. I've had the Legacy for just over 60 days now. I drive it every day to and from work – about 35 miles each way in moderate-to-heavy traffic and back/forth between rural and city areas – so I have a pretty good feel for how this car drives at this point. First off, this is a GOOD car with the potential to be a much better car – it just has some shortcomings that I believe should be improved upon. (These are things that didn’t stand out during my test drive and could sway me to go back to Toyota or try some other auto brand in the future.)

HERE’S WHAT I LIKE: Standard Symmetrical AWD; high reliability and crash-test ratings; heated front and rear seats; blind spot and rear cross-traffic monitors; multi-adjustable driver’s seat; comfortable leather interior; road hugging ride quality; great outward visibility; accurate backup camera; and interior dimensions – good head and leg room.

HERE’S WHAT I DON’T LIKE: Loud wind noise (anytime I exceed 40-45 mph), makes it hard to hear the radio at normal volume; intrusive road noise, which I corrected by swapping out the standard Goodyear tires with Continental tires; lackluster acceleration for a V6 engine, CVT tends to lose momentum when you lift your foot off of the gas pedal – often jerky when accelerating and decelerating while in motion and when accelerating from a dead stop; as mentioned by another reviewer, accelerator hesitates before catching when shifting from reverse to drive; bumps in the road are not well absorbed (the 2016 model may have addressed this issue) ; no power to windows after you shut off the engine; no auto door locks; poor V6 fuel efficiency averaging around 24 MPGs combined; trunk lid’s arms and safety feature makes it heavy and sometimes hard to lift open; Infotainment system does understand most voice commands; and Harmon Kardon speakers are sometimes crackly.

Again, the Subaru Legacy 3.6R Limited is a good car – but it needs to be tweaked to its full potential, especially when you have tried and true midsize cars out there like the Toyota Camry and Honda Accord that essentially do everything well. I hope Subaru will roll out an improved redesign soon. I’m trying to stand by my decision to buy this car, but I'm really starting to long for the quietness and smooth handling of my old Toyota.

Good car with a few minor problems
By Karel Kapoun

2015 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

During our New England winter months, it takes up to 20 minutes of driving to reach my engine's "normal" operating temperature. At that point, the engine oil temperature is about 150 deg. F. During the summer months, the engine warm up period is reduced to 5 to 8 minutes. Subaru dealership claims that this is normal and there are no problems with the thermostat. My 12 years old Forester will reach the operating temperature within 5 minutes even during the winter months. This car has also some minor problems - trunk liner is poorly fitted, stitching on the rear leather seat is not perfect, gas filler door is installed off-center