2015 Subaru Legacy Consumer Reviews - 47 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2015 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

2015 Subaru Legacy

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

2015 Subaru Legacy 3.6 limited under performs
By A disappointed 2015 Subaru Legacy 3.6 owner

2015 Subaru Legacy 3.6R Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

OK here is my verdict on 2015 3.6 Legacy (On a three year lease)
Pros:
• Drive traction
• Safety features
Cons:
• All six cylinders do not fire all of the time, 4 cylinders run until almost red lining.
• Interior rattling noise everywhere. Areas in which you can’t reach to try fix yourself.
• Technology- Radio, Nav, etc. The touch screen does not always respond to touch, you have to hit the section a few times for it except the command.
• The seats have no comfort at all, hard and low quality leather.
• I’ve been back 4 times for 3 different recalls.

I understand this is low to mid 30K car but come on, how much profit does Subaru really need to make.
My wife and I can’t wait for the lease to be over!

Once a Subaru admirer.

Good, but not great. Needs improvements.
By Camelot Community Girl

2015 Subaru Legacy 3.6R Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I owned a Toyota Camry LE for 11 years before recently trading it for a CPO 2015 Subaru Legacy 3.6R Limited. I've had the Legacy for just over 60 days now. I drive it every day to and from work – about 35 miles each way in moderate-to-heavy traffic and back/forth between rural and city areas – so I have a pretty good feel for how this car drives at this point. First off, this is a GOOD car with the potential to be a much better car – it just has some shortcomings that I believe should be improved upon. (These are things that didn’t stand out during my test drive and could sway me to go back to Toyota or try some other auto brand in the future.)

HERE’S WHAT I LIKE: Standard Symmetrical AWD; high reliability and crash-test ratings; heated front and rear seats; blind spot and rear cross-traffic monitors; multi-adjustable driver’s seat; comfortable leather interior; road hugging ride quality; great outward visibility; accurate backup camera; and interior dimensions – good head and leg room.

HERE’S WHAT I DON’T LIKE: Loud wind noise (anytime I exceed 40-45 mph), makes it hard to hear the radio at normal volume; intrusive road noise, which I corrected by swapping out the standard Goodyear tires with Continental tires; lackluster acceleration for a V6 engine, CVT tends to lose momentum when you lift your foot off of the gas pedal – often jerky when accelerating and decelerating while in motion and when accelerating from a dead stop; as mentioned by another reviewer, accelerator hesitates before catching when shifting from reverse to drive; bumps in the road are not well absorbed (the 2016 model may have addressed this issue) ; no power to windows after you shut off the engine; no auto door locks; poor V6 fuel efficiency averaging around 24 MPGs combined; trunk lid’s arms and safety feature makes it heavy and sometimes hard to lift open; Infotainment system does understand most voice commands; and Harmon Kardon speakers are sometimes crackly.

Again, the Subaru Legacy 3.6R Limited is a good car – but it needs to be tweaked to its full potential, especially when you have tried and true midsize cars out there like the Toyota Camry and Honda Accord that essentially do everything well. I hope Subaru will roll out an improved redesign soon. I’m trying to stand by my decision to buy this car, but I'm really starting to long for the quietness and smooth handling of my old Toyota.

Good car with a few minor problems
By Karel Kapoun

2015 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

During our New England winter months, it takes up to 20 minutes of driving to reach my engine's "normal" operating temperature. At that point, the engine oil temperature is about 150 deg. F. During the summer months, the engine warm up period is reduced to 5 to 8 minutes. Subaru dealership claims that this is normal and there are no problems with the thermostat. My 12 years old Forester will reach the operating temperature within 5 minutes even during the winter months. This car has also some minor problems - trunk liner is poorly fitted, stitching on the rear leather seat is not perfect, gas filler door is installed off-center

First 6 months it whistled, rattled and stuck
By amyagkota@gmail.com

2015 Subaru Legacy 2.5i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I cannot express my utter disappointment with this car. My family has always been Toyota people and after rave reviews from my now husband, I decided to purchase my first Legacy. Right off the bat I started hearing a whistling wind noise from the passenger window. The dealer assured me that it is a known problem and they will have a solution package shortly. Unfortunately it was 6 months before I moved up the long waiting list to get the solution. Then in the middle of winter, my fuel cover got stuck and would not open -- so I had to get it towed in to the dealership because the car was out of gas. Finally that was solved. Very shortly after that my driver's automatic window would not open. Luckily it is a known problem and they fixed it quickly. FINALLY, i started to hear a rattle in the mornings coming out of the front engine area. Had to bring it in several times because of course the rattle wouldn't happen when the serviceman would be inspecting it. Finally it turned out that it was loose heat shields. The dealer (different one since i moved) was not happy about fixing the problem on his dime, so he replaced them without tightening them so the rattle continued all winter. One year later, leaving the dealership half in tears with a realization that my brand new Subaru was a LEMON. And average mpg at 29. NEVER AGAIN.

Lives up to "Legacy" name
By d

2015 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

This car gets an A+ in every case except the Infotainment system that I find hard to use and not user friendly and lacking some features like smart phone compatability. The screen also catches alot of sunlight and tends to blind the driver frequently. The USB ports are useless. My other minor complaints are:
1)no autolock for the doors, its purely manual from inside the car.
2)radio antenna is where you expect the rear defroster should be and digital signal reception is spotty at best.
3)Unable to disable the lane departure warning by default so this is a manual process every time and it goes off too much for my driving style that avoids the frequent potholes in the northeast.
4)The car's user manual contains incorrect information, omissions and errors.
5)The engine runs cool and takes a while to produce heat for the cabin in the coldest part of the winter.

I've gone through every season now and I feel this car is well worth its price tag and has features you cant find unless you buy a Lexus, BMW, Benz, Acura, Volvo for twice the price. The car is way more comfortable than I thought it would be for taller than average folks. In particular the OEM wheel/tire size is a great compromise between low profile handling and soft ride comfort. The fuel economy is great and the acceleration for the 2.5 engine is plenty. I plan to keep this car forever.