2015 Subaru Legacy Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2015 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

2015 Subaru Legacy

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

Excellent car with a few weak points
By fine999

2015 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

This review is for the 2.5i Limited model equipped with all OEM options, including EYESIGHT and NAV system. I have been leasing cars of this ilk, typically fully loaded, every 3 years. In addition I have test driven many others in an effort to help other people buy cars. My wife owns this Subaru, and it's clearly a winner with just a few reservations I'll get into below. I hope Subaru trolls these reviews. The car handles and rides very very well. Always a feeling solidity and composure. Steering is tight and right on target. Absolutely no complaints in any of these areas.

Favorite Features

The EYESIGHT package is cheap for what you are getting. Besides the enhanced safety which is well worth it, the adaptive cruise control is just incredible. For example, it can be set at 80MPH and adjust itself all the way down to zero MPH if needed, including applying the brakes for very slow or stopped traffic in front of you. Works like a charm! The Harmon Kardon stereo in the Limited is just awesome. Beats virtually every hi-end system I've ever heard in a car, and has plenty of beef.

Suggested Improvements

#1 - believe it or not the front seats kill my back even on shorter trips. Apparently they don't bother most people. Haven't run into this same problem with other cars because they've all had lumbar support that could be defeated. These seats have built-in lumbar support that can only be increased, so the discomfort is a major deal breaker for me. #2 - less of an issue is the relatively low engine horsepower. It's fine for most driving but too weak for some driving demands. I wish Subaru would ditch the horizontally opposed engines. Most normal 2.0L engines get around 200HP. Subaru's flat four 2.5L (larger engine) only produces about 175HP. And there is no MPG advantage either.

Great Car
By ktnyngbld

2015 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

This is my 2nd Subaru, previously had a 2013 XV Crosstrek Limited, and the Legacy blows it out of the water. The only thing I miss is sitting up higher. Ordered my Legacy in December, 2.5 Limited in Carbide Gray, got every option but the V6. Test drove both and decided I would rather have fuel economy. Absolutely love the car! Now it has just under 7,000 miles after taking it on a trip to FL recently. The Legacy also handles very well in the snow, as any Subaru does. The only problems I have had are the passenger window switch went out and the Starlink/ NAV system had to be replaced due to the bluetooth and radio quitting. One of the best vehicles I have ever owned.

Favorite Features

EyeSight, Blind Spot, Rear Cross Path Detection, Roomy back seat and trunk space. The car also feels large and sits up high for a car.

Suggested Improvements

Wish you could get the HID's on the 2.5, the door locks should be automatic as well. No major complaints though, the car is great!

Great Car!
By 7soccer

2015 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I've had this car for two months now with 4000 miles on it. I couldn't be happier with my purchase. This car has everything I need. Looked at $60K+ cars and couldn't justify what this Legacy gives you for the money. It's smooth and comfortable, yet stiff enough to feel a bit sporty. Our family finds it very comfortable for highway driving. Never thought I'd buy a Subaru, but glad I did.

Favorite Features

Love the All Wheel Drive. Great gas mileage, as advertised. Bluetooth, back up camera, heated rear seats, spacious trunk and backseat.

Suggested Improvements

The media display screen needs an audio option on the side (like home, apps). It also needs an option to lock and unlock all doors when the car is put in reverse/park.

BEST MID-SIZED SEDAN FOR ME
By ethanallen

2015 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I'm 72 years old. My 2013 Accord beat me up over the potholed, patched and re-patched local roads. The Legacy glides smoothly over almost all imperfections. The seat and car was comfortable and quiet for a 8 hour trip, only stopping for toilets. Computer said 33.8 MPG then; but I usually average 28 MPG. Car corners like it's on rails. My handicapped wife can get in and out better than the other sedans. For a car that I consider light weight, small, economical, and lower priced, this does everything quite well. No problems at all at 3,000 miles. And the rear windows go all the way down, not half way, like some newer cars.

Favorite Features

All wheel drive is my favorite feature. The paddle shifter is like having a manual tranny and allows better control on very slippery roads: I can use the engine as braking along with the brakes. The hands free phone and backup camera make life easier. I enjoy the leather wrapped steering wheel, heated seats, and powerful air conditioner. The thick padding, extra little lighting and sounds are soothing.

Suggested Improvements

Time and temperature readings could be bigger.

I am happy with 2015 Legacy
By vit_b

2015 Subaru Legacy 3.6R Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

Overall I am very satisfied with a car. 6 cylinders provide enough power. However car does not feel as sporty as my 2006 Accord EX V6. On another hand it provides more quite and comfortable ride (still not like a Lexus, but good enough). Some reviewers complained about a wind noise. To my opinion the wind noise is normal. Fuel economy (with 20-29 mpg expected): I have in town 22 mpg; highways (with activated cruise control) - 30.5 mpg cruising with speed 55 ml/h and 28 mpg at 72 ml/h.

Favorite Features

Adaptive cruise control works grate and makes long traveling even more relaxing.

Suggested Improvements

Note: some things in the car look uncomfortable/inconvenient on one hand, but at the same time they may have a sense from a safety point of view. Firstly: a trunk does not pop-up when trunk button is released. It needs to be lifted physically. It is inconvenient on one hand, on another hand it is secured by strut arms (like a hood) preventing unexpected fall on our heads. Secondly: headrest feels firm and tilted to far forward (as compared to my 2006 Accord). I guess Subaruís engineers did that on purpose to save our necks in case of accident; however it does not feel so comfortable at least in the beginning. Luckily after 2 weeks of driving I feel that I am adapting to new headrest.