2014 Subaru Legacy Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

2014 Subaru Legacy Sedan

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

Bumpy and Sluggish, but fabulous in snow
By msginny

2014 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Sport 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I traded in a 2009 Altima Hybrid that could not make it up hills in Wisconsin winters. The worst front-wheel-drive car I ever drove. But I digress. I did buy the Sport model, as it looked a little sexier than the base. It's as close to a head turner as Subaru can produce. I do like the look. The AWD handles beautifully in this climate, in a city that doesn't like to use salt. However, the ride is punishing. You do feel every bump. After 12,000 miles, it's still stiff. Going Zero-60 takes bloody ages compared to other cars I've driven in this class. I do believe this car can easily go 200K miles.

Favorite Features

AWD, Heated Seats, Sunroof, Backup Camera.

Suggested Improvements

Make it snappier in accelerating, and for god's sake, do something about that ride. Improve the sound system and don't use so much cheesy-looking plastic. The headrests are a little weird as well.

Poor ride
By jzeimet

2014 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Sport 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

This is my second Legacy that I have leased and I made a mistake not purchasing the 2011 at the end of the lease. I really loved that legacy. Now I have the 2014 legacy sport and I can not get past the poor ride. On smooth roads you can enjoy the car, but any road that has bumps or cracks is felt. I thought it might be the 18 inch tires or that maybe needed to get broke in a little. I have 13,500 miles on it and no such luck. This is my third Subaru that I have leased, but I am so unhappy with the ride that I will not be leasing from Subaru again.

Stiff Ride negates positives.
By bsr52

2014 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Sport PZEV 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I have driven this 2014 Legacy Sport for three months. The reliability of Subaru, all wheel drive and heated seats are all positives that are negated by the poor ride quality. I feel every dip, bump and tar strip in the road and will be trading this after a year. A younger driver might not care about the ride because the car looks sharp and handles well. I owned a 2001 Subaru Outback station wagon for 6 years and it was reliable and a comfortable ride with reasonable handling in not too large of a vehicle. If they built that vehicle today with an improved transmission I think they wood sell a lot of them. I appreciate any comments and criticism.

Favorite Features

All wheel drive, heated seats, rear view camera.

Suggested Improvements

Improve ride comfort. Go back to building a station wagon version of the Legacy. We don't need anymore large boxy SUVs. And the Imprezza 5-Door Hatch back is not it! I traded in a 2012 Outback Premium when I bought this current car. The Outback has become too large of a vehicle with not comfortable seats for someone 5' 6" tall (had power driver seat) and also has a stiff ride. I will be looking at the Audi, BMW, maybe Volvo for my next ride. Not their SUVs but the all wheel drive sedans and wagons as I see a lot of them have been going 100,000 miles plus.

Bad Ride
By rtk3

2014 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I only had this 2014 Legacy 2.5i Premium for only two weeks. It's my first Subaru. It has a lot of good features, but i'm having a hard time enjoying them. The ride is hard, it seems like you feel every little bumb in the drivers seat. I'm very disappointed! Traded a 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix with 136,000 miles, it had it's issues, but rode great and was still fun to drive. Can't say the same for the Legacy. I'll have to give it some time. Maybe it's just me, but I don't think so. I might have to take a lose and try something different. Let me know what you think!

Favorite Features

AWD,

Suggested Improvements

Shock absorbers!!!!

2000 miles and very happy
By bobkay

2014 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I purchased the Legacy Limited, leather and had some dealer options put on. The car has been great so far. I am averaging 32.1 mpg, and have had no issues. The defrosters quickly clear the windshield and windows. The controls are simple to use and anything that was more technically advanced was taught/demonstrated by the dealer like setting up my bluetooth and phone. My kids find it cool that my car rings and we can just talk and not have to hold the phone. I tested the car with a decibel app and the interior is very quiet ranging from 50-80 decibels, compared to over 90 with my Pacifica.

Favorite Features

The comfortable seats fit my 6 foot 230lb frame. Plenty of room in the back for the kids. I added the optional side door mouldings...they already have saved it from the parking lot dents and dings...well worth it. Great MPG, fun styling and a firm grip of the road.

Suggested Improvements

Only 2 quirks so far. The CVT is new to me and very subtle. You don't hear the gear changes so all of a sudden you're going 60mph in a 35, it took some getting used to. My only complaint is the sheet metal on the hood. It is thin and you can see it bouncing or vibrating while driving. I was told this is a crumple zone and meant to fold in a crash, but on sunny days is it distracting sometimes.