Used 2014 Subaru Legacy Consumer Reviews - 9 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

2 years and 49,000 miles later
By BrianM

2014 Subaru Legacy 2.5i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I bought this vehicle as an upgrade from the vehicle I had previously been driving for commuting ('98 Grand Prix GT).
Pros:
Decent gas mileage- I get right around 29.5-30mpg per tank of gas- though it can dip to around 28mpg in winter months.
Handling- the ride is a bit stiff, but it handles really well.
Looks- Vehicle has very nice styling.
Reliability- I've had no major problems so far.
AWD- This was the biggest factor in choosing this vehicle. Winter traction is very important to me and this vehicle handles very predictably in snowy/icy conditions.
Interior- I'm 6'4" and I have plenty of room, head room is greater than any other sedan I looked at. Rear seats fold down and make it possible to move fairly large objects.

Cons:
Oil changes/oil usage- more expensive (around $75), though done somewhat less frequently than with vehicles using dinosaur oil. I typically have to add a quart of oil 6000 miles after an oil change, as the engine uses some oil. In 3 previous vehicles (chevy, pontiac, nissan), I've never had to add oil using Dino oil with a 5000 mile oil change interval, I drove the vehicles 175K, 250K, and 260K miles respectively (all purchased new).
Intermittent rattle - something in the moon roof rattles occasionally, it seems to happen only within certain temperature ranges, its a bit annoying.
Acceleration/transmission- CVT transmission takes some getting used to, feels like driving a golf cart- acceleration is a bit slow, but adequate.

Overall, I would buy another, though I would probably opt for the Outback, for more cargo room.

Excellent twist between a sport sedan and daily
By Arathbun

2014 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Just traded from an 07 Nissan Versa so this is a whole new animal. Very spacious interior with classy color coordination. 6 speed manual is sporty, no doubt, but feels somewhat disconnected and doesn't seat the same as most clutch systems I am used to. I live in Colorado on the Base of the Rockies and bought this car in the dead of winter and it hasn't given me a bit of trouble even in the worst conditions. Very passive handling on the road, so a smooth ride as far as that goes. That being said, it is paired with an award winning drive train AWD, so it sticks to the lane no problem. I am also 6'3", and this car has room to spare with me. Leg room has always been a "make or break" factor with me and car buying, so I am happy to finally "fit in". The aggressive front bumper in the model I have looks sporty and choice, but gives the car a very low clearance so driver beware. I catch about 23 mpg in the city on my daily commute to work. This is a good figure, but certainly not the optimal EPA estimate. Reading some other reviews and I guess there is one consistent problem with these cars: they eat too much oil and coolant. Factory defect, likely but nonetheless mine is currently being looked at to make sure that is the case. If it is not, the warranty is extensive enough to were I would just be able to slide into something new, no harm no foul. Aside from this, well designed and reliable car.

great car!
By eric

2014 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Sport 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I work for Pepsi and am driving 500 Miles a week. I only fill up once a week. I get between 450 to 480 Miles before the gas light comes on. I'm seeing these reviews about the stiff ride, and I would have to disagree. I think it rides nice and just like any car should ride. I drive about a third City and the rest highway and get real calculated average of 30 mpg almost Everytime. When it's half And half City and highway and is 29mpg. I think the car is great and the mpg rating is a little underrated by the factory. I would definitely test drive one Amd see for yourself before these crappy comments decide for you. Very nice car.

Eats oil
By Cathy Weber

2014 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I have 24,000 miles on my 2014 subaru legacy 2.5 and have had to add a full quart of oil FIVE times already and this is not including the 3 oil changes I have had as recommended at the dealer. Subaru feels this is within specs and refuses to acknowledge a new car should not be burning oil, especially at this high rate. The hands free does not recognize what you are saying and is awkward. Ride is stiff and noisy, the doors do not lock automatically so you have to remember, the heated seats go off and on,again subaru says that's normal, my daughters jetta's seats stay nice and toasty . The AWD is great but other then that I am not impressed, will be trading it in as soon as I figure out what I want, spent a yr researching before I bought this. Will never buy another subaru again, they refuse to stand behind their products and think it's okay to burn a quart of oil in between oil changes on a brand new car

Bumpy and Sluggish, but fabulous in snow
By msginny

2014 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Sport 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I traded in a 2009 Altima Hybrid that could not make it up hills in Wisconsin winters. The worst front-wheel-drive car I ever drove.

But I digress. I did buy the Sport model, as it looked a little sexier than the base. It's as close to a head turner as Subaru can produce. I do like the look.

The AWD handles beautifully in this climate, in a city that doesn't like to use salt.

However, the ride is punishing. You do feel every bump. After 12,000 miles, it's still stiff. Going Zero-60 takes bloody ages compared to other cars I've driven in this class.

I do believe this car can easily go 200K miles.

AWD, Heated Seats, Sunroof, Backup Camera.

Make it snappier in accelerating, and for god's sake, do something about that ride. Improve the sound system and don't use so much cheesy-looking plastic. The headrests are a little weird as well.