Solid Subaru
By falsesmall1 on
2013 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)
I've had this vehicle for about a month, scoring on excellent president day sales. My first Subaru. Very solid feel to this car. Engine/CVT still breaking in but performing nicely. Excellent gas mileage-up to 33MPG highway. Combined around 27mpg. Handles well on dry and wet pavements even with the crappy Bridgestone tires it came with. Haven't driven in the snow yet, but I expect it will really shine then. The ride is firm but a bit choppy. Road noise is present but well within acceptable limits. The driver's seat and position is stellar, as is the visability. The "upgraded" six speaker stereo is fair at best. Overall, a reliable car that does most everything well with AWD standard!
Favorite Features
Added the all weather package w/moonroof. Nice package as it includes heated mirrors and seats, and a windshield wiper de-icer. It also included a auto dimming mirror with compass, and a very useful cargo tray fitted to the trunk. I added fog lights which I stongly recommend. They look gorgeous and, of course, are functional. Overall, there is not one feature I can say is my favorite. This is a "jack of all trades" car that may not wow anybody but will get you where you want to go comfortably, safely and in style.
Suggested Improvements
Need a better sounding stereo at the premium trim level. The so called upgraded six speaker (they add two tweeters from the base model 4 speaker) is a joke. The radio tuner is weak. The Limited trim line comes with the 9 speaker, 350 watt receiver, Harmon Kardon. It is part of an expensive option package (navigation/lane shift warning cameras, etc) on the Premium. Basically, the stereo goes from an old Chevy to a new Mercedes, with nothing in between for guys like me. The bluetooth works fine. The Bridgestone tires are poorly rated, particularly on snow/ice. Why would you put these on a Subaru that customers are attracted to because of the AWD and ability to handle winter weather?
By lifeson34
on 03/27/13 17:29 PM (PDT)

In my previous comment, I jest of course, when I say "salesmen are known for honest statements."

By sotillco
on 03/22/13 19:30 PM (PDT)

I agree with the points made in this review. I have about 2000 miles on this car which I drive on the Oregon coast. As a non-audiophile, I am not overly concerned about the sound system, which is adequate but not stellar. The fuel economy ratings are realistic based on my experience. I also like very much the driving position. No squeaks or rattles. A very solid car; a great deal on an AWD vehicle for the price. I also have a 2008 Outback which has been a great, very serviceable, vehicle. The new Legacy sedan feels much more nimble, peppy, and more fun to drive. Overall, very happy with this car as I have been with the 2008 Outback I have now and the 2001 Outback I traded in to get the new Legacy.

By lifeson34
on 03/27/13 17:27 PM (PDT)

What do you mean by "engine/cvt breaking in"? One thing I did not like about this car when I test-drove it was the loud high-pitch whine when you step on the gas. One salesman implied this noise disappears once you break the car in. Of course, salesmen are known for honest statements, so I am curious about your experience. What are your experiences with the Legacy's high-pitch whine? Is it present? Has it faded with time? To me that whine is a shame. It hides what is otherwise a relatively sporty engine growl when you step on the gas.