Jack of many trades, master of none...but that's fine by me.
By rickallen on
2013 Subaru Legacy 2.5i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)
I bought this to replace my wife's aging Toyota Corolla. We wanted something with AWD that was more roomy than her old car and still got above 30mpg highway. On paper, the Subaru fit the bill perfectly. With the updates to the transmission, engine, and chassis for 2013, I was much more impressed than with the 2012 and older models as far as throttle response, steering, and overall feel of the car. It was an easy decision to get the added room and 30+ hp over the newly redesigned Impreza.
Favorite Features
Gas mileage so far has averaged around 27-28 mpg with mostly city driving. This is about what the old Corolla got. Very impressive. I still love the smoothness of the powertrain and the refinement and comfort of the suspension. It's relaxing to get in and drive this car. Plus it's got SO much room. I'm 6'4" and long legged and I can sit comfortably anywhere in the car. Very rare to have this much space for me. The steering wheel shift paddles are a welcome addition to a CVT which is by itself a little low on character compared to a traditional AT or dual-clutch AT
Suggested Improvements
The stereo for me is very weak. It has 6 speakers compared with 4 on the base, but I was hard pressed to hear any sound coming from the dash tweeters. I am guessing the front speakers in the door are combined and there are no dash tweeters. A little less road noise - granted, it's still very low for a car in this price range. Kudos to Subaru. Seat comfort - although it's improved, I still would like a little more lateral support as well as a more comfortable, less stabby lumbar. Clearer, more noticeable tail lights. This was a nitpick that drove me almost to the Outback with it's much clearer lenses and indicators, but I'm a nerd for lighting.