2013 Subaru Legacy Consumer Review: It's okay, but it lags far beh

2013 Subaru Legacy Sedan - Consumer Review

It's okay, but it lags far behind my Mazda6
By jjdawson on

2013 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

It's got ho-hum styling inside and out. It's been rattling/squeaking since about a week old. It gets slightly better gas mileage on the freeway than advertised. It's comfortable. It has lots of room inside, even for tall people; more head room than every other mid-sized sedan that I tested. It has plenty of power at almost any speed. It's a little noisy at freeway speeds. The blue tooth works well, but I would change it. The CVT is a little weird since I can't tell what speed I'm going by the sound of the engine. The 6 gears are a plus for fuel economy. The paddle shifters are cool, but automatic works great without them. However, I like my 2004 Mazda6 better in almost every way!

Blue tooth was a little frustrating at first. But, now that I found a couple of secrets that I couldn't find in the manual, I like it a lot. Although I rarely use them, the paddle shifters make it a little more fun to drive. Heated seats are a plus when the temp outside is COLD. Otherwise, they aren't necessary. The air heater works very well and the air conditioner works okay. The seat adjustment is great. The auto-dimming mirror, which I didn't really care about when I bought the car, is actually great. The home-link garage door opener, on the other hand, is annoying because you have to hold down the button. The mileage gauge and computer are helpful.

I want better gas mileage. I don't care about All-wheel drive. Front-wheel drive is good enough. My Mazda6 has only 4 gears and gets 36 MPG on the freeway and it's 8 years old. Why does this CVT with 6 gears only get 35 MPG??? That's weak. I want at least 38 MPG. I would also want better styling. It's just plain boring next to my Mazda6.