2013 Subaru Legacy Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
2013 Upgrades hurt overall ratings
By fitfd on 01/25/13 13:03 PM (PST)

2013 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Sport PZEV 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I traded in a 2012 2.5i Premium for the 2013 2.5i Sport for the new performance upgrades. The best way to describe the '13 model is disappointing. I can't question the AWD performance of a Subaru, it handles almost any road condition with ease. The acceleration on the '13 is sluggish from a stop but crisp at higher RPMs. I think the acceleration on the '12 was better overall. I was averaging 31 mpg with my '12 and only 26 with my '13. The Sport interior isn't all that impressive, the seats may feel softer but they also show dirt and lint far worse than the '12 interior. The new suspension is stiff and bone-jarring at times. Camry's run the same 18' set-up with a much smoother ride.

Great All-Around Car For The Money
By banker2 on 01/23/13 15:42 PM (PST)

2013 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Bought a 2.5Limited w/moonroof...after about 1500 miles, I'm pleased. I was skeptical about going to a 4-cylinder, but it seems to have plenty of power around town and on the hwy...it works well with the CVT, which is one of my favorite features-smooth acceleration. Interior is well laid out and very roomy - front and back. Seats are comfortable and the Harmon-Kardon sound system is great. Simple, clear ipod interface and bluetooth connection. Build quality is excellent.

Surprised
By jchez on 01/21/13 17:23 PM (PST)

2013 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

After owning Audi's I am more than a little surprised. Build quality (ie. timing chain vs. belt) is very solid, it is understandable why Subaru's push the mileage limits. CVT trans offers a low hum in city driving but have been told that this will disappear around the 5K mark

Overrated car.
By mperillo on 01/06/13 10:41 AM (PST)

2013 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I had the 2010 Subaru Legacy and it was a great car so I got the 2013 Legacy. Big mistake. They changed the suspension and now the car has a harsh, noisy, jittery ride. From a great car to a lousy one. I get 17 mpg city, 34 highway. There is no noticeable improvement in handling nor any improvement in mpg. OEM tires are not good. They're noisy and neutralize any benefit you get from an awd vehicle. Subaru lost me as a returning customer. Will not buy/lease one again.

pleased
By ozarks on 11/25/12 18:43 PM (PST)

2013 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

After weeks of serious comparison and review, I settled on the Subaru Legacy as a new car purchase. The fit and finish is fine and the car is very comfortable and has excellent room for passengers. It is a mid-size vehicle. The car handles well and very little body roll in sharp transitions. The dash layout isn't as pretty as some competitors but the seats are excellent and the Harmon/Kardon optional sound system is good. Interface with iPhone was easy. My only disappointment at this stage is MPG, it isn't returning what I expected. The CVT is smooth but I didn't see anything close to 32 on the HWY on my first road trip. I'm not a heavy foot driver and not a jackrabbit start or stop driver

Good quality, have yet to see full potential
By be_sydney on 11/20/12 10:44 AM (PST)

2013 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I chose this car because when I bought it I lived in a city with harsh winters and I needed a reliable, AWD option. I researched for over a year and decided to go with the Legacy over an SUV because of the gas mileage and the reliability of the Subaru name. The size of the cabin is great, and I can fit 4 large adults in here comfortably. The biggest problem I have had with this car is the gas mileage. At this point, I have driven it 4200 miles and have had an oil change and am still not getting above 21.9 miles to the gallon. I drive the freeway to work everyday and should be getting at least 28 combined. Even on a highway trip of 1200 miles, the best mileage I got was 29 MPG.

Jack of many trades, master of none...but that's fine by me.
By rickallen on 11/15/12 13:02 PM (PST)

2013 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I bought this to replace my wife's aging Toyota Corolla. We wanted something with AWD that was more roomy than her old car and still got above 30mpg highway. On paper, the Subaru fit the bill perfectly. With the updates to the transmission, engine, and chassis for 2013, I was much more impressed than with the 2012 and older models as far as throttle response, steering, and overall feel of the car. It was an easy decision to get the added room and 30+ hp over the newly redesigned Impreza.

It's okay, but it lags far behind my Mazda6
By jjdawson on 10/17/12 20:14 PM (PDT)

2013 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Premium 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

It's got ho-hum styling inside and out. It's been rattling/squeaking since about a week old. It gets slightly better gas mileage on the freeway than advertised. It's comfortable. It has lots of room inside, even for tall people; more head room than every other mid-sized sedan that I tested. It has plenty of power at almost any speed. It's a little noisy at freeway speeds. The blue tooth works well, but I would change it. The CVT is a little weird since I can't tell what speed I'm going by the sound of the engine. The 6 gears are a plus for fuel economy. The paddle shifters are cool, but automatic works great without them. However, I like my 2004 Mazda6 better in almost every way!

Researched midsize sedans for a couple months...
By dbpdx on 08/10/12 22:46 PM (PDT)

2013 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

...and the Legacy came out on top for my family and me. I drive about 40 miles round-trip for work each day and have a two month old son. My wife and I traded in an older SUV and wanted a midsize sedan that would comfortably hold a rear-facing car seat while also achieving high MPG on the highway. High safety scores were also very important to us, and the Legacy delivered on all fronts. I drove several competing sedans but settled on the Legacy because of its spacious cabin and AWD. I've had the car for a couple weeks and love driving it. I was very close to buying a 2012 Fusion but didn't quite feel right. The Camry didn't feel right, either. Both cars pale in comparison to the Legacy.

Awesome midsize luxury option
By nzody on 08/02/12 22:55 PM (PDT)

2013 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I've been driving the 2013 Limited PZEV model for almost a week now, after my 2000 Impreza was totaled in a hit & run. One word - awesome! I test drove a 2.5 2012 Limited before trying the 2013 2.5 Limited - and they are worlds apart. The DOHC CVT changes in the 2013 model make a huge difference to the pick up and make the 2.5i engine feel much more capable. The interior space is great, the hands free works well and voice activation is very handy. Bluetooth audio streaming works well. Commuting on the peninsula <-> San Francisco I am currently seeing about 24MPG with fairly hard driving. I think EPA numbers are fair. AWD with the options on the Limited model make for value hard to beat!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2013 Subaru Legacy Sedan in VA is:

$172 per month*