Used 2013 Subaru Legacy Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Subaru Legacy Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

Solid Subaru
By falsesmall1

2013 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I've had this vehicle for about a month, scoring on excellent president day sales. My first Subaru. Very solid feel to this car. Engine/CVT still breaking in but performing nicely. Excellent gas mileage-up to 33MPG highway. Combined around 27mpg. Handles well on dry and wet pavements even with the crappy Bridgestone tires it came with. Haven't driven in the snow yet, but I expect it will really shine then. The ride is firm but a bit choppy. Road noise is present but well within acceptable limits. The driver's seat and position is stellar, as is the visability. The "upgraded" six speaker stereo is fair at best. Overall, a reliable car that does most everything well with AWD standard!

Added the all weather package w/moonroof. Nice package as it includes heated mirrors and seats, and a windshield wiper de-icer. It also included a auto dimming mirror with compass, and a very useful cargo tray fitted to the trunk. I added fog lights which I stongly recommend. They look gorgeous and, of course, are functional. Overall, there is not one feature I can say is my favorite. This is a "jack of all trades" car that may not wow anybody but will get you where you want to go comfortably, safely and in style.

Need a better sounding stereo at the premium trim level. The so called upgraded six speaker (they add two tweeters from the base model 4 speaker) is a joke. The radio tuner is weak. The Limited trim line comes with the 9 speaker, 350 watt receiver, Harmon Kardon. It is part of an expensive option package (navigation/lane shift warning cameras, etc) on the Premium. Basically, the stereo goes from an old Chevy to a new Mercedes, with nothing in between for guys like me. The bluetooth works fine. The Bridgestone tires are poorly rated, particularly on snow/ice. Why would you put these on a Subaru that customers are attracted to because of the AWD and ability to handle winter weather?

More Fun Every Day
By jazzfocus1

2013 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Have been enjoying this car for over 7 months (about 8000 miles). I share it with my wife. Some of the negative reviews I've read may be by people that don't own this car or think they own it. Subaru hit a home run with this model and I started driving their cars in 1978. Their engineering prowess is put to the test here and they did almost everything right. The handling, power, transmission, fun factor, stereo, blue tooth, visibility, seating, comfort, all blend into a symphony of joy. It looks good and awd will get you through the worst weather with confidence. Mileage has been very good. 25 city, 31 (or more) highway. People with crappy mileage are lead footed.

The steering gives nice feedback. Love the seats, front and back space, stereo sounds very nice and I'm a jazz musician (so I'm critical). The alloy wheels are beautiful and enhance the sportiness. The car does not feel as heavy as it is so it's pretty tossable. The awd system and new cvt/engine combination are in perfect sync. The car feels glued to the road at all times. A guy on youtube drove this car on a dirt path at 50mph (for many miles) and you can see how rugged it drives. I had a 1997 legacy wagon for 230k miles and it still worked pretty well on trade in. You do feel the road so those that want a soft, plush, numb ride should stick with Toyota or Buick.

Subaru has never been at the head of the class in styling. My 2009 Mazda 6 looks more "futuristic". Still, it's not a body style you'll be ashamed of. The only complaint is when the wind is really strong and I'm driving at highway speeds it gets blown around a little bit. Probably the aerodynamics of the body. My Mazda 6 is fantastic at deflecting wind effects so it raises the bar. Also, my Mazda 3's are amazingly good with wind at high speed (they are fabulous little cars, including one skiactiv model). Can't complain about much else.

Best Deal out there: Legacy
By talkgtr

2013 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Our new 2013 legacy is fun to drive, looks great and is comfortable. I come for a long line of SAABs and am spoiled by great seats, the Legacy isn't as plush but they are firm and offer very good support. The Nav system is better than our Honda Odyssey. On my first tank of gas I've averaging 25.2 in mostly city driving. This is the Limited model w/ upgraded stereo, works great w/ my iPhone 4s, downloaded my phone book w/o issue. With a EQ few tweaks, it sounds fine. I had shopped the Impreza but the Legacy is just more car, quieter on the road, better seats and stereo. Very happy w/ my choice.

The four wheel drive and decent gas mileage on regular gas are my two favs. The Bluetooth works great, both for clear phone calls and playing music from my iPhone. The car handles nice and I like the CVT transmission, it's smooth and I'm sure it's helping w/ gas mileage. I like the handling as well.

No issues at this point, I like everything about the Legacy. We drove a 2010 model and the 2013 is much nicer. Subaru seems like a car company who wants to improve their cars rather than give you less for greater profits. I guess the one improvement I'd suggest would be better OEM tires, the stock Bridgestones are just OK.

Great Ford Sedan
By lifeson34

2013 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Premium 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Ruined. Just. Ruined. When I bought my '07 Legacy, I fell... in love. The car had an understated elegance. There was an attractive aerodynamic look. Exterior lines flowed, interior lines flowed. Materials, though not luxurious, were high class. The fabric in the seats was classy *and* robust. The doors were rimless. The center console employed a minimalist design that made it pleasant to look at and easy to use. The Legacy has... changed. It now resembles a Ford sedan. The aerodynamic of its tail has disappeared. The doors are rimmed. The seat fabric is cheap and thin. Heck, all interior materials are cheap. The center console is overdone and resembles Optimus Prime. Optimus, go away.

The car next to it.

Remove Optimus Prime from the interior of my car. Bring back the old seat fabric. Bring back the rimless doors. Get rid of the cheap hard plastic interior materials. Redesign the interior so it flows. Use a minimalist design for the steering wheel and center console. I don't want to have to open a book to use a button while I drive. I don't want to stare at buttons while I drive. I don't want the interior of my car to be as complex as the space shuttle cockpit.

Best kept secret in mid-size cars
By carbr8r

2013 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Very worthwhile investment. With 3,000 miles on the car, I am getting 33 MPG on the Hwy and 21 in the city for a combined 27 MPG. I got the navigation with Eyesight and the Harman Kardon stereo and it makes for a much more attractive dash layout. This car is a blast to drive! The boxer engine has a nice note under heavy acceleration. The seats are very comfortable front and back. The HVAC works excellent, and the controls for the Bluetooth, nav, handsfree, and audio system are very easy to learn and use. Steering is tight and responsive. Build quality is excellent - no rattles or squeaks at all. And snow? This car loves it! It sticks to dry, wet, or slippery roads like glue.

AWD - Not just for snow. Rides on rails around tight corners on dry/wet roads. Electronics interface is very easy to learn and use. Bluetooth automatically plays music from my phone just by turning on the car - no need for cables. Navigation screen is large and easy to read/use. Boxer engine has oil filter on top of engine for easy oil changes. Timing chain instead of belt means long trouble free engine life. Heated seats work very well. Automatic Heat/AC system works great. Very unique car - not everyone has one. Very safe for my family. 4 yr old's car seat fits great and easy to install. All other mid-size cars are all show - this one has substance!

Vinyl/leather covering arm rests could be a little softer. Need more presets on the audio system. Front grill is a little different. I think more people would look closer at these cars if the styling wasn't quite so polarizing. Don't let the styling fool you. This car is definitely worth a serious second look if solid, safe, fun, reliable, and hi tech is on your list.