2013 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
Surprised
By jchez on 01/21/13 17:23 PM (PST)

2013 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

After owning Audi's I am more than a little surprised. Build quality (ie. timing chain vs. belt) is very solid, it is understandable why Subaru's push the mileage limits. CVT trans offers a low hum in city driving but have been told that this will disappear around the 5K mark

Overrated car.
By mperillo on 01/06/13 10:41 AM (PST)

2013 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I had the 2010 Subaru Legacy and it was a great car so I got the 2013 Legacy. Big mistake. They changed the suspension and now the car has a harsh, noisy, jittery ride. From a great car to a lousy one. I get 17 mpg city, 34 highway. There is no noticeable improvement in handling nor any improvement in mpg. OEM tires are not good. They're noisy and neutralize any benefit you get from an awd vehicle. Subaru lost me as a returning customer. Will not buy/lease one again.

pleased
By ozarks on 11/25/12 18:43 PM (PST)

2013 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

After weeks of serious comparison and review, I settled on the Subaru Legacy as a new car purchase. The fit and finish is fine and the car is very comfortable and has excellent room for passengers. It is a mid-size vehicle. The car handles well and very little body roll in sharp transitions. The dash layout isn't as pretty as some competitors but the seats are excellent and the Harmon/Kardon optional sound system is good. Interface with iPhone was easy. My only disappointment at this stage is MPG, it isn't returning what I expected. The CVT is smooth but I didn't see anything close to 32 on the HWY on my first road trip. I'm not a heavy foot driver and not a jackrabbit start or stop driver

Good quality, have yet to see full potential
By be_sydney on 11/20/12 10:44 AM (PST)

2013 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I chose this car because when I bought it I lived in a city with harsh winters and I needed a reliable, AWD option. I researched for over a year and decided to go with the Legacy over an SUV because of the gas mileage and the reliability of the Subaru name. The size of the cabin is great, and I can fit 4 large adults in here comfortably. The biggest problem I have had with this car is the gas mileage. At this point, I have driven it 4200 miles and have had an oil change and am still not getting above 21.9 miles to the gallon. I drive the freeway to work everyday and should be getting at least 28 combined. Even on a highway trip of 1200 miles, the best mileage I got was 29 MPG.

Jack of many trades, master of none...but that's fine by me.
By rickallen on 11/15/12 13:02 PM (PST)

2013 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I bought this to replace my wife's aging Toyota Corolla. We wanted something with AWD that was more roomy than her old car and still got above 30mpg highway. On paper, the Subaru fit the bill perfectly. With the updates to the transmission, engine, and chassis for 2013, I was much more impressed than with the 2012 and older models as far as throttle response, steering, and overall feel of the car. It was an easy decision to get the added room and 30+ hp over the newly redesigned Impreza.

It's okay, but it lags far behind my Mazda6
By jjdawson on 10/17/12 20:14 PM (PDT)

2013 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

It's got ho-hum styling inside and out. It's been rattling/squeaking since about a week old. It gets slightly better gas mileage on the freeway than advertised. It's comfortable. It has lots of room inside, even for tall people; more head room than every other mid-sized sedan that I tested. It has plenty of power at almost any speed. It's a little noisy at freeway speeds. The blue tooth works well, but I would change it. The CVT is a little weird since I can't tell what speed I'm going by the sound of the engine. The 6 gears are a plus for fuel economy. The paddle shifters are cool, but automatic works great without them. However, I like my 2004 Mazda6 better in almost every way!

Researched midsize sedans for a couple months...
By dbpdx on 08/10/12 22:46 PM (PDT)

2013 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

...and the Legacy came out on top for my family and me. I drive about 40 miles round-trip for work each day and have a two month old son. My wife and I traded in an older SUV and wanted a midsize sedan that would comfortably hold a rear-facing car seat while also achieving high MPG on the highway. High safety scores were also very important to us, and the Legacy delivered on all fronts. I drove several competing sedans but settled on the Legacy because of its spacious cabin and AWD. I've had the car for a couple weeks and love driving it. I was very close to buying a 2012 Fusion but didn't quite feel right. The Camry didn't feel right, either. Both cars pale in comparison to the Legacy.

Awesome midsize luxury option
By nzody on 08/02/12 22:55 PM (PDT)

2013 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I've been driving the 2013 Limited PZEV model for almost a week now, after my 2000 Impreza was totaled in a hit & run. One word - awesome! I test drove a 2.5 2012 Limited before trying the 2013 2.5 Limited - and they are worlds apart. The DOHC CVT changes in the 2013 model make a huge difference to the pick up and make the 2.5i engine feel much more capable. The interior space is great, the hands free works well and voice activation is very handy. Bluetooth audio streaming works well. Commuting on the peninsula <-> San Francisco I am currently seeing about 24MPG with fairly hard driving. I think EPA numbers are fair. AWD with the options on the Limited model make for value hard to beat!

A Dream Ride
By jazzfocus1 on 07/27/12 06:05 AM (PDT)

2013 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I just got it so this will be a preliminary review. So far I'm very impressed with this "freshened up" model. Very attractive vehicle, quiet interior, good power. Have only driven one day but am fairly car savvy and know about Subaru since it's earlier days. They keep improving on a good thing and don't cheapen their cars like other companies to save money. I saw the car in April at the NY auto show. One of my old cars was up for inspection and I decided to trade in for this puppy. So far, I love it.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2013 Subaru Legacy in WA is:

$197 per month*