False MPG
By monkey21 on
2012 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)
I purchased a new 2012 2.5I Limited. I was told the average mpg was 30., this is false. I have put 500 miles on it in the first week. I drive 80 miles a day highway miles to and from work. My average is 23.7 mpg. I would not recommend this car if you are looking for decent to good gas mileage. I live in Denver CO. and thought the AWD would be nice. It is ok but would never have bought if I new the true MPG. I had I 2004 Chevy Impala prior getting 27 mpg. You would think I new car with posted 31 mpg would do better but it does not.
Favorite Features
leather seating.
Suggested Improvements
Better MPG. sales people tell the truth about MPG. Then again if you did you would not sell any!
By gymrat4
on 04/06/12 18:49 PM (PDT)

I am having the same problem with my 2012 legacy sedan 3.6r. I am getting less than 11 miles per gallon although it says it averages 13.5. If I have known how bad the mileage would be, I would never have bought the car.

By mfmusic
on 04/17/12 04:48 AM (PDT)

I first saw this comment a couple weeks ago and it really irritates me. First off you assume that because your specific vehicle is not getting the posted fuel economy that you were lied to. The posted mpg are ETSIMATED averages. They're not the exact numbers you will get every time you get into your car. Secondly, there are quite a lot of factors that affect your fuel economy on any given day. Here's a few reasons why you may be seeing less than the advertised #s. 1 - Cold weather. You live in Denver and posted this in February, so I'm assuming it's cold then. There is a certain temperature than engines need to get up to in order for combustion to function efficiently. If the weathers cold, it takes longer for your engine to get up to the optimum temperature. 2 - Air density. I'll be honest and say I don't know the exact physics for this but basically higher elevation -> less dense air -> less 02 -> poorer combustion -> less MPGs 3 - Your style of driving. If you're a lead foot like I am, you're not going to get as good gas milage as the little old lady who never tops 40mph. I've had my 2012 2.5I Limited since december and have almost put 7000 miles on it now. I live in East Tennessee and my driving is pretty equally split between City and Highway. My overall average is 25.2 MPG. and when I've gone on 500 mile road trips to middle tennessee and back, my average was 32.3 MPG. Not trying to be rude or attack you, just look at the facts and don't assume you're always the victim.

By chefborozzy
on 03/05/12 08:29 AM (PST)

I average that without driving on the highway at all.. Maybe you should get your car checked out or adjust the way you drive. I get over 30mpg driving 70-75mph.

By senseless1
on 04/21/12 12:42 PM (PDT)

24mpg all highway sounds a little low, but it should improve a little over time. I'm getting very close to the EPA numbers with my 3.6R, about 19mpg combined city/highway and it's rated at 20mpg.