Used 2012 Subaru Legacy Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Subaru Legacy Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

One of the Nicest Cars That No One Talks About.
By simy

2012 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

This car is about as practical as you can get. AWD doesn't sacrifice MPG & comes in handy in snow. It's not flashy, but it looks nice, esp. w/tinted windows. My mechanics love Toyota & Lexus mechanically, but recommended the Legacy, it won me over. Got a good price, a little over $22K, practically 0% financing & Costco cash card. The PZEV reduces smell when starting up in the garage. Heated mirrors, wipers & seats in the Premium model. Rocker panel lights up when doors open. Hazard light button placed pefectly so when you shift the car to Park, just depress w/index finger. Little stuff that no one talks about, but it's been thought out. It's really a nice car that doesn't draw headlines.

Fit and finish, AWD, MPG, PZEV, good handling and comfortable ride. Premium packaged options. Dashboard layout. Wheel well flared out. Rocker panel ground effects, although it can scuff easy when stepping out of the car, it does look good. There's a wide competitive range to chose from. Looked at Lexus ES350, Toyota Camry, Acura TL and TSX, Honda Accord, Audi A4 and Subaru Outback. Decided on the Legacy, it fit the bill and didn't break the bank.

Reduction of engine noise on the 4 cylinder, esp. during start and warming up. Smooth out the CVT when downshifting to a complete stop. Could use a nicer stereo, but it will do, if you don't need a bells and whistles and thumping system.

The Car I almost Overlooked !
By diehard080

2012 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I had been shopping for a good week and I wanted something that would work for our family of three ( 9 year old boy ) and my wife . I didn't want to waste ridiculous time examining all the possibilities as it gets to the point where your life is consumed in details and these car sites and magazines , dealers , commercials all are the fuel for this confusion and frustration in that what ever car is :the best " or whatever spin they have that day . I wanted the every thing car but NOT an SUV , NOT a crossover but a Reasonably priced sedan that would be a errand runner , dinner limo , tahoe cruiser and more. Well It was Camry, Accord , Chevy Cruise , Ford Fusion . Then I am watching TV ...

Along comes a commerical with a little girl and her dad concerned that she needs to drive safely and that he knew this day would come , then they pan back to the girl in the drivers seat and shes College age and is saying ...yes dad , yes dad , Well it was a Subaru Legacy ! I remember in College my buddy had a Subaru and we to that thing to the moon - but was it a car that I would be able to rely on , my wife like driving and be fun, safe and versatile ?? Well I did 10 minutes of research and found Subaru was now a BRand that was ON TOP of Topyota , HOnda , NIssan , BMW ==everybody - IT was overall now the NUMBER#1 car maker all around . I didnt believe it so I went down to ,

a dealer the Legacy in a Navy Blue , Bluetooth , Sunroof was in frnt . All Wheel drive and they are still making the Boxer engine that only Porsche still makes and once was in the VW bugs of long ago --cars that would not die . I was still skeptical ...UNtil we drove it . It was so far above the ride of the other Japan/Korean/us brands I was sold and ready to be testing this stunning car. I just had a feeling it was the car we could go and do it all in and after over 10K miles we have and not one problem except not enough time to take road trips - the CVT transmission makes hwy driving a pleasure and at 80mph im doing 2000rpms ! gas is about 35 on the freeway--Highly Reccomended !

Legacy 3.6R limited with Navigation
By senseless1

2012 Subaru Legacy Sedan 3.6R Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

Between the Infiniti G37, Audi A4, Ford Fusion and Lexus IS250, I decided that the Subaru Legacy 3.6 Limited was the best AWD value. I have to parallel park this car often, so the relatively short length was important. Speaking of which, it's EASY to park this car, especially with the backup camera and the general visibility overall. I drove the 2.5 four cylinder and then the 3.6 six and it's like 2 different cars. The Boxer 6 is smooth, quiet and effortless. I prefer the conventional 5 spd automatic that comes with the six cylinder, even with the small trade-off in fuel economy. The leather seating is awesome and the drive is secure and peaceful. There's some highway wander over 70mph.

The Harman Kardon audio system sounds great. The bluetooth integration and sound quality is top notch. The navigation screen is bright and easy to read. The comfort, audio quality and secure feeling puts me in a good mood, even in traffic. That says a lot. The wipers are silent and washers work great. Simple interior controls and buttons make sense and glow red at night. The radio has volume and tuning knobs.

The Navigation takes some getting used to. My Acura Navigation was easier to use. There are some videos on U-tube that explain the mapping methods better than the manual does. There should be a button on the main map screen that pulls up the turn by turn list. It's a little cumbersome to get to that list as it is. Limit the speedometer to 120mph to make it easier to glance at and comprehend. Low beam headlights are marginal.

First Subaru Experience
By member23

2012 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I came out of an SUV into a Subaru for fuel economy. While there are many good car choices in this class (Fusion, Accord, Altima) the driver seat comfort and AWD won me over. After 4500 miles the new car thrill is gone and I have a car that I like driving, is reliable, and gets good mpg's. The decision to buy a new car is personal and I'm not knocking any other cars, as there are some great choices. But this car works for me and I'd recommend it to a friend.

Driver seat comfort. AWD

Alternative to the masses
By pwsubielover

2012 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Premium 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I got my 2012 Legacy shortly after Christmas, and couldn't ask for a better present. The sedan is smart looking and gives me lots of confidence while facing the rigors of winter roads in Wisconsin. The Subie is roomy and comfortable, without feeling pretentious. It is replacing an older model Infiniti, so I wouldn't say the Legacy is the most luxurious car I ever drove, but it is solid and well equipped. Love the heated seats and iPod port. Gas mileage has been as promised, which is a blessing based on the direction gas prices are heading.

AWD Styling Heated seats Roomy everywhere Value for the money

Extend the warranty Squeeze a few more mpgs from the engine

• SUV