2012 Subaru Legacy Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
3rd in the family
By mpople on 11/17/13 07:48 AM (PST)

2012 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

The third Subaru I have adopted, The first was a 2009 Forester, the second was a 6 cylinder Outback 2012, and now a 2012 Legacy. Yep, I guess we have become a Subaru Family

Fabulous Car
By san_san on 04/07/13 21:53 PM (PDT)

2012 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I always feel this is one of those less talked about cars in the market. I own this year for more than an year now and extremely happy with the performance. Subaru's AWD delivers when needed in snow driving conditions and I feel safe when coming to abrupt stops on icy roads.

One of the Nicest Cars That No One Talks About.
By simy on 11/26/12 11:37 AM (PST)

2012 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

This car is about as practical as you can get. AWD doesn't sacrifice MPG & comes in handy in snow. It's not flashy, but it looks nice, esp. w/tinted windows. My mechanics love Toyota & Lexus mechanically, but recommended the Legacy, it won me over. Got a good price, a little over $22K, practically 0% financing & Costco cash card. The PZEV reduces smell when starting up in the garage. Heated mirrors, wipers & seats in the Premium model. Rocker panel lights up when doors open. Hazard light button placed pefectly so when you shift the car to Park, just depress w/index finger. Little stuff that no one talks about, but it's been thought out. It's really a nice car that doesn't draw headlines.

The Car I almost Overlooked !
By diehard080 on 06/24/12 23:31 PM (PDT)

2012 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I had been shopping for a good week and I wanted something that would work for our family of three ( 9 year old boy ) and my wife . I didn't want to waste ridiculous time examining all the possibilities as it gets to the point where your life is consumed in details and these car sites and magazines , dealers , commercials all are the fuel for this confusion and frustration in that what ever car is :the best " or whatever spin they have that day . I wanted the every thing car but NOT an SUV , NOT a crossover but a Reasonably priced sedan that would be a errand runner , dinner limo , tahoe cruiser and more. Well It was Camry, Accord , Chevy Cruise , Ford Fusion . Then I am watching TV ...

Legacy 3.6R limited with Navigation
By senseless1 on 04/20/12 21:21 PM (PDT)

2012 Subaru Legacy Sedan 3.6R Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

Between the Infiniti G37, Audi A4, Ford Fusion and Lexus IS250, I decided that the Subaru Legacy 3.6 Limited was the best AWD value. I have to parallel park this car often, so the relatively short length was important. Speaking of which, it's EASY to park this car, especially with the backup camera and the general visibility overall. I drove the 2.5 four cylinder and then the 3.6 six and it's like 2 different cars. The Boxer 6 is smooth, quiet and effortless. I prefer the conventional 5 spd automatic that comes with the six cylinder, even with the small trade-off in fuel economy. The leather seating is awesome and the drive is secure and peaceful. There's some highway wander over 70mph.

First Subaru Experience
By member23 on 03/20/12 15:59 PM (PDT)

2012 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I came out of an SUV into a Subaru for fuel economy. While there are many good car choices in this class (Fusion, Accord, Altima) the driver seat comfort and AWD won me over. After 4500 miles the new car thrill is gone and I have a car that I like driving, is reliable, and gets good mpg's. The decision to buy a new car is personal and I'm not knocking any other cars, as there are some great choices. But this car works for me and I'd recommend it to a friend.

Alternative to the masses
By pwsubielover on 03/01/12 10:06 AM (PST)

2012 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Premium 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I got my 2012 Legacy shortly after Christmas, and couldn't ask for a better present. The sedan is smart looking and gives me lots of confidence while facing the rigors of winter roads in Wisconsin. The Subie is roomy and comfortable, without feeling pretentious. It is replacing an older model Infiniti, so I wouldn't say the Legacy is the most luxurious car I ever drove, but it is solid and well equipped. Love the heated seats and iPod port. Gas mileage has been as promised, which is a blessing based on the direction gas prices are heading.

Everything I Wanted In Car
By pepperdog13 on 02/15/12 12:59 PM (PST)

2012 Subaru Legacy Sedan 3.6R 4dr Sedan AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I was looking for a new car that had excellent safety ratings, excellent reliability, plenty of room for my family (especially good legroom in the back), good fuel efficiency (at least 30 mpg highway), comfortable seats, was a joy to drive/ride in for my long commute, nice interior with satellite radio/bluetooth, iPod hookup, and had AWD to help me drive on snow covered roads in the winter. I am happy to say that the Subaru Legacy nailed each one of my requirements. Not only it is a top safety pick but it was the best AWD system out there. I enjoy driving it. It is roomy. The 10 way power drivers seat is very comfortable and heated thanks to the All Weather Package.

False MPG
By monkey21 on 02/12/12 13:22 PM (PST)

2012 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I purchased a new 2012 2.5I Limited. I was told the average mpg was 30., this is false. I have put 500 miles on it in the first week. I drive 80 miles a day highway miles to and from work. My average is 23.7 mpg. I would not recommend this car if you are looking for decent to good gas mileage. I live in Denver CO. and thought the AWD would be nice. It is ok but would never have bought if I new the true MPG. I had I 2004 Chevy Impala prior getting 27 mpg. You would think I new car with posted 31 mpg would do better but it does not.

Awesome so far...
By joesweetsox on 01/27/12 03:43 AM (PST)

2012 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Recently became disenchanted with Honda over a seemingly endless string of mechanical failures on two cars I bought in '06. I traded the Civic in on a Legacy 2.5 Limited mostly because I've never heard anything bad about Subaru, and the 2.5 Limited appeared to get slightly less mileage than the Civic. Now comparing a Civic to a Legacy isn't exactly fair, as they are different classes of car, but the build quality seems to be similar, the CV transmission is a little odd at first but given it's goal is to find the optimum engine rev, not necessarily the quickest it's just something to get used to. I've put about 40 miles on it, and the fuel gauge has yet to budge.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Subaru Legacy Sedan in VA is:

$134 per month*