Used 2012 Subaru Legacy Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

2012 Subaru Legacy

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

Good Driving, Serious Flaws
By desertsubaru

2012 Subaru Legacy 2.5i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Roomy interior - previous years couldn't fit a rear-facing infant carseat between driver's seat and second row - the 2012 can. Smooth ride. No engine temperature gauge. Just a "cold" and a "hot" light. Of course, by the time the "hot" light comes on you're screwed. A standard temperature gauge would give some warning as to gradually increasing engine temperature. Check engine light turns off traction control and emergency brake (and cruise control), so if you live on a hill and forget to tighten your gas cap...good luck parking. Turning off traction control is a major safety flaw.

Favorite Features

>30 mpg all the time + AWD is pretty nice. CVT handles hills better than standard 5speed auto.

Suggested Improvements

Electronic parking brake is stupid. That tool with the spare tire that you have no idea how to use...that's for manually disabling the parking brake if your battery dies - make sure the tow truck knows about this!! Gas cap is unintuitive; it's hard to tell when it's fully clicked its one click. A standard unlimited click gas cap would be waaaay better.

2012 Legacy Buyers Check Steering Before Buying
By bill497

2012 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Don't make the same mistake I did. I was totally unaware of this issue when I bought. Do some searches on steering wander. You will mostly find the problem on the Outback, but I think that's because there are more Outbacks out there. My 2012 Legacy was very annoying to drive. You had to constantly correct from the left to the right. The car was still under factory warranty, but they couldn't fix it. New tires, alignments, rotations, nothing worked. The car had never been wrecked. Also it had a heavy wheel, so between the constant correcting and that, it made for very fatigued driving. Test out your Legacy or Outback first and check for this problem before buying!!

Suggested Improvements

Subaru needs to come clean and admit what is causing this steering issue and take care of their customers.

Loving Legacy
By cribley

2012 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I purchased a 2012 Red Subaru Legacy from Onion Creek Volkswagen in Austin, TX on August 8,2014. I feel in love with the All-wheel drive boxer engine of the Subaru. I also love the package that included the sunroof and power seats with Lumbar support. I do have to say the lumbar support can use more work. I drive 30 mile to work every day. When I get to work and get out the car, I have a pain in my lower back. The hands free blue tooth unit is extremely difficult to set up. I also wish that the Legacy had the same ground clearance as the Outback. I feel that I will be happy with my 2012 Subaru Legacy for years to come.

Favorite Features

great features are the sunroof and wheels and the great stereo system.

Suggested Improvements

suggested improvement are: the lumbar support, connecting your phone book to your car phone/Bluetooth connections are extremely difficult to understand. the ground clearance can improve also. The Legacy can have the same ground clearance as the Outback!!

3rd in the family
By mpople

2012 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

The third Subaru I have adopted, The first was a 2009 Forester, the second was a 6 cylinder Outback 2012, and now a 2012 Legacy. Yep, I guess we have become a Subaru Family

Fabulous Car
By san_san

2012 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I always feel this is one of those less talked about cars in the market. I own this year for more than an year now and extremely happy with the performance. Subaru's AWD delivers when needed in snow driving conditions and I feel safe when coming to abrupt stops on icy roads.

Favorite Features

Bluetooth connectivity, traction control, Harman Kardon audio, spacious interior, features and comfortable ride

Suggested Improvements

Mileage can be improved