2012 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
Good Driving, Serious Flaws
By desertsubaru on 12/15/14 18:31 PM (PST)

2012 Subaru Legacy 2.5i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Roomy interior - previous years couldn't fit a rear-facing infant carseat between driver's seat and second row - the 2012 can. Smooth ride. No engine temperature gauge. Just a "cold" and a "hot" light. Of course, by the time the "hot" light comes on you're screwed. A standard temperature gauge would give some warning as to gradually increasing engine temperature. Check engine light turns off traction control and emergency brake (and cruise control), so if you live on a hill and forget to tighten your gas cap...good luck parking. Turning off traction control is a major safety flaw.

2012 Legacy Buyers Check Steering Before Buying
By bill497 on 11/01/14 10:27 AM (PDT)

2012 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Don't make the same mistake I did. I was totally unaware of this issue when I bought. Do some searches on steering wander. You will mostly find the problem on the Outback, but I think that's because there are more Outbacks out there. My 2012 Legacy was very annoying to drive. You had to constantly correct from the left to the right. The car was still under factory warranty, but they couldn't fix it. New tires, alignments, rotations, nothing worked. The car had never been wrecked. Also it had a heavy wheel, so between the constant correcting and that, it made for very fatigued driving. Test out your Legacy or Outback first and check for this problem before buying!!

Loving Legacy
By cribley on 09/15/14 13:01 PM (PDT)

2012 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I purchased a 2012 Red Subaru Legacy from Onion Creek Volkswagen in Austin, TX on August 8,2014. I feel in love with the All-wheel drive boxer engine of the Subaru. I also love the package that included the sunroof and power seats with Lumbar support. I do have to say the lumbar support can use more work. I drive 30 mile to work every day. When I get to work and get out the car, I have a pain in my lower back. The hands free blue tooth unit is extremely difficult to set up. I also wish that the Legacy had the same ground clearance as the Outback. I feel that I will be happy with my 2012 Subaru Legacy for years to come.

3rd in the family
By mpople on 11/17/13 07:48 AM (PST)

2012 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

The third Subaru I have adopted, The first was a 2009 Forester, the second was a 6 cylinder Outback 2012, and now a 2012 Legacy. Yep, I guess we have become a Subaru Family

Fabulous Car
By san_san on 04/07/13 21:53 PM (PDT)

2012 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I always feel this is one of those less talked about cars in the market. I own this year for more than an year now and extremely happy with the performance. Subaru's AWD delivers when needed in snow driving conditions and I feel safe when coming to abrupt stops on icy roads.

One of the Nicest Cars That No One Talks About.
By simy on 11/26/12 11:37 AM (PST)

2012 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

This car is about as practical as you can get. AWD doesn't sacrifice MPG & comes in handy in snow. It's not flashy, but it looks nice, esp. w/tinted windows. My mechanics love Toyota & Lexus mechanically, but recommended the Legacy, it won me over. Got a good price, a little over $22K, practically 0% financing & Costco cash card. The PZEV reduces smell when starting up in the garage. Heated mirrors, wipers & seats in the Premium model. Rocker panel lights up when doors open. Hazard light button placed pefectly so when you shift the car to Park, just depress w/index finger. Little stuff that no one talks about, but it's been thought out. It's really a nice car that doesn't draw headlines.

The Car I almost Overlooked !
By diehard080 on 06/24/12 23:31 PM (PDT)

2012 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I had been shopping for a good week and I wanted something that would work for our family of three ( 9 year old boy ) and my wife . I didn't want to waste ridiculous time examining all the possibilities as it gets to the point where your life is consumed in details and these car sites and magazines , dealers , commercials all are the fuel for this confusion and frustration in that what ever car is :the best " or whatever spin they have that day . I wanted the every thing car but NOT an SUV , NOT a crossover but a Reasonably priced sedan that would be a errand runner , dinner limo , tahoe cruiser and more. Well It was Camry, Accord , Chevy Cruise , Ford Fusion . Then I am watching TV ...

Legacy 3.6R limited with Navigation
By senseless1 on 04/20/12 21:21 PM (PDT)

2012 Subaru Legacy 3.6R Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

Between the Infiniti G37, Audi A4, Ford Fusion and Lexus IS250, I decided that the Subaru Legacy 3.6 Limited was the best AWD value. I have to parallel park this car often, so the relatively short length was important. Speaking of which, it's EASY to park this car, especially with the backup camera and the general visibility overall. I drove the 2.5 four cylinder and then the 3.6 six and it's like 2 different cars. The Boxer 6 is smooth, quiet and effortless. I prefer the conventional 5 spd automatic that comes with the six cylinder, even with the small trade-off in fuel economy. The leather seating is awesome and the drive is secure and peaceful. There's some highway wander over 70mph.

First Subaru Experience
By member23 on 03/20/12 15:59 PM (PDT)

2012 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I came out of an SUV into a Subaru for fuel economy. While there are many good car choices in this class (Fusion, Accord, Altima) the driver seat comfort and AWD won me over. After 4500 miles the new car thrill is gone and I have a car that I like driving, is reliable, and gets good mpg's. The decision to buy a new car is personal and I'm not knocking any other cars, as there are some great choices. But this car works for me and I'd recommend it to a friend.

Alternative to the masses
By pwsubielover on 03/01/12 10:06 AM (PST)

2012 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I got my 2012 Legacy shortly after Christmas, and couldn't ask for a better present. The sedan is smart looking and gives me lots of confidence while facing the rigors of winter roads in Wisconsin. The Subie is roomy and comfortable, without feeling pretentious. It is replacing an older model Infiniti, so I wouldn't say the Legacy is the most luxurious car I ever drove, but it is solid and well equipped. Love the heated seats and iPod port. Gas mileage has been as promised, which is a blessing based on the direction gas prices are heading.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Subaru Legacy in VA is:

$134 per month*