The $20K Mercedes
By jonster2 on
2011 Subaru Legacy 2.5i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)
My Legacy's about to go off-lease after 3 years and I still don't see many of this new design on the road. Last week I had to use my father's 2001 Outback and I'm astounded at how well they've redone it. These cars have a long history of reliability. They are practically maintenance-free. Now that they're full-size, I finally found myself in one and I'm glad I did. I traded in my '97 BMW 528i after too many winters spent without traction control (in the Northeast). When I moved to the top of a hill, I knew I needed AWD. I researched Subaru and found they are the only car manufactured by Fuji Industries in Japan. It is a dream to drive and I never feel unsafe anymore.
Favorite Features
The quality of the ride is cushy and the seats are very comfortable. There is more leg and headroom than I had in the BMW. It's quite surprising how roomy the car is. The gas mileage for such a large car is admirable. It's still an rarity on the road. You just don't see that many of them. People are surprised it's a Subaru because it's now the size of a Camry or Accord and has a racier look to it. The car just feels like it's well-made. It rides like it's on rails in snow, rain or sunny weather. It transmits a steady feel of the road under all conditions, absorbing bumps and potholes like a champ.
Suggested Improvements
The CVT took some getting used to. I've learned to "shift" it with the accelerator. CVT is the norm now among many newer cars. It is like a marine transmission. The low front end air dam hits the curb too easily. Why do they make bumpers that chip and scrape so easily now?