2nd Subaru and it just isn't the same
By dssquare85 on
2011 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)
This is technically my 2nd Subaru. My first Subaru was an '05 Saab (Saabaru) 9-2x Aero. I have owned my '11 2.5i Premium since May '11 and have about 7,000 miles. It took me a while to get used to the difference in size and power compared to my 9-2x. The power is more than adequate 90% of the time. My mpg is not what the ratings state. I was getting 23.5 when I first got the car but now I'm down to 21.9 for the life of the vehicle according to the trip computer. I don't have a heavy foot like I did with my 9-2x. I'll attribute the decrease in mileage to the hills of Staten Island, NY. Car is quiet and has been reliable with the exception of the 2 recalls in 4 months of having the car.
Favorite Features
The front styling of the car; I like the big headlights. I also like the large trunk as I used the car to move my girlfriend and myself from Brooklyn to Staten Island. I like how everything lights up in red at night and the ease of the HVAC controls. The heated seats will burn the clothes off of me, which is just fine. The amount of room in the backseat is exceptional in my opinion. I forget I have a CVT most of the time except when merging onto the highway. It's nice to forget it isn't a conventional transmisson.
Suggested Improvements
The mpg is not what I thought it would be. My 9-2x would get 19mpg so I got the Legacy thinking I would be getting closer to 24/25 but I'm getting more like 21/22. This comes to about $100/month for gas. I did not like having 2 recalls in a short period of time and the way I was treated at Bay Ridge Subaru in Brooklyn was appalling in regards to the windshield wiper recall. The Legacy doesn't have the "boxer" sound as much as I like. My 9-2x had an awesome sound and even my sister's Forester has more of the sound I like. Lately, I find I can't get comfortable in the driver seat anymore. I always feel like I'm doing slight adjustments while driving and I'm not a big guy...5'8, 175lbs.