Noise coming from under hood.
By fish25 on
2011 Subaru Legacy 2.5i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)
I purchased a 2011 legacy premium in Sept. of 2010. I love the car so far except one thing there is a squeaking noise like a loose pulley. I have taken it back and forth to dealer. Finally they let me drive two more legacy of same model and heard the same noise in both cars. Is anybody hearing this noise. I can't believe Subaru has not made a recall on this car. No one can tell me what it is. I here it when first accelerating up to 20 mph. I know this should not be normal for a brand new car, I can also put it in neutral and rev the motor to hear it. Tech said performing as designed. LOL. Help
Favorite Features
Interior/exterior design. Love the panel instruments Blue tooth and Media hub. The Harmon/Kardon is mediocre.
Suggested Improvements
Recall car and get rid of the squeaking noise under the hood when accelerating, you can hear at low speeds. This should not be normal. Sorry
By raymondschan
on 05/09/11 10:20 AM (PDT)

Not a mechanic but have driven a few Japanese cars. I'd check the belt(s). Some Japanese manufacturers have a reputation for using poor quality belts under the hood which will squeal, especially if the temperature is cold. If the dealer diagnoses this, they might charge you $80 to replace it, but they'll replace it with the same model belt. I'd pick up a good quality belt from Autozone for around $30, and do it myself; or bring it to a 3rd party mechanic and pay him no more than $30 to swap it in.

By kinkoshy
on 08/16/11 05:02 AM (PDT)

I just bought a 2011 Legacy iPremium and am hearing the same squeaking...it's actually more audible inside the cabin when the air and audio are off. I plan on getting it looked at on my first service. Let me know if anyone has had luck fixing this.