Used 2011 Subaru Legacy Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

2011 Subaru Legacy

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

Love this car!!
By birrell111

2011 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Solid roomy car... quality build and great looks. A winner.

Serious Design Flaw Not Resolved in 2011 Model
By electricity1

2011 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

The Subaru Legacy was plagued with design issues after its redesign in 2010 and unfortunately these have not been resolved in the 2011 model. Many of these cars (along with the Outbacks) have a "shimmy" issue at highway speeds and if you bring this to the dealer's attention, they will apply an extensive technical service bulletin (TSB 05-48-10) which is essentially a redesign to the car. After I had this applied the car had serious vibration issues and swaying at highway speeds, along with pulling to either side. Subaru refuses to acknowledge that there is anything wrong with the car after this fix was applied. Google "subaru legacy shimmy" and read the 64 pages of posts! Stay FAR away!!

Favorite Features

The leather interior is very comfortable. The climate control system is excellent.

Suggested Improvements

The long term reliability of this car is in question based on the many issues I've had with a new car straight from the factory. Subaru can't seem to find a permanent fix for the shimmy and steering issues and are instead applying band aids and then denying that there is an issue at all. This is my first Subaru and I just can't recommend the brand to anyone.

Incredible value and nice looking
By garydl

2011 Subaru Legacy 3.6R Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I write this after 2 months of Subaru Legacy 3.6 ownership. My wife is the prime user of this car and it was her choice (and I did not object). In our married life we have had 3 Acuras (2 Legends and an RL), a Volvo S80, a Toyato Avalon, A Nissan 300ZX, and an Infiniti G37x coupe. Thus far, the Subaru Legacy is holding its own in that company. It is roomy, comfortable and built like a tank. It handles very well and has plenty of power. While the seats could use a little more padding, they are supportive - and rear seat passengers can cross their legs! While the styling is certainly not mainstream, it is distinctive and makes a statement - and it actually quite lovely.

Favorite Features

4 wheel drive, leg room in front and rear, huge trunk, excellent harman-kardon radio, styling.

Suggested Improvements

Navigation system needs some upgrading and should switch to internal hard drive model. Push button start, automatic door locking once under way, and automatic door unlocking when turned off - are nice features it needs to be fully competitive in this market segment.

Sweet Subie (Part Deux)
By drq

2011 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

This is my second Subie-my first was an '04 Forester XT fun to drive but wasn't too economical-but never failed me in 7 years and 120K miles. I was willing to forgo getting my head snapped back for better MPG's and after 2K miles Iím averaging 29.2 overall (Regular!). This time around got all the bells and whistles and couldn't be happier, never realized how noisy my XT was until now. The interior is well apportioned the leather seating is glove soft and heated-the stereo plain rocks. The back seat is big enough for two boosters and a baby seat. CVT took a little used to but once the engine was broken in you can get higher revs and satisfactory stop light acceleration. $26K @ 0.9% Awesome!

Favorite Features

MPG's CVT/All Wheel Drive Bluetooth Harman Kardon stereo with XM Quiet! Rear view camera DVD player in the navagation-nice surprise

Suggested Improvements

Navagation System is a bit cumersome smaller roads aren't shown when you zoom out.

Air Flow and Media Hub problems?
By legacy66

2011 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

This is my first subaru - shortly after I had made my decisions to purchase an Acura, I stumbles across a Subaru dealership and was totally sold on the Legacy. I do have 2 concerns/problems I'm wondering if anyone else is having...? The heater/ac airflow on the floor only setting pushes out way more air from the dash/windshield defroster. This is particularly irritating on a cold, sunny day. The upper part of the car becomes too hot, and the lower part where your feet are is too cold. I also had a media hub installed for my IPod and it makes a clicking noise whenever I play it in the car. I've had the car serviced and they tell me both issues "are working as designed". ???

Favorite Features

HK sound system Bluetooth phone technology AWD