2011 Subaru Legacy Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
First time Subaru owner and never again...
By htakeuch on 10/02/11 06:58 AM (PDT)

2011 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

Seeing the "Experience Love" slogan they got and after doing a little research of what the car includes I decided to go with a Legacy for both my family and my self. The car only has 2500 miles with too many problems. Clutch squeaks, car pops out of gear, and car idles roughly making it feel like it will shut off. I owned a Nissan Sentra and Toyota Corolla while I was in collage both cars lasted for more than 76,000 miles without exhibiting these type of issue. Taken in to account that the legacy is much more expensive than the cars I mentioned this is unacceptable. Experience disappointment...

Something wrong with the Transmission
By biz_buzz on 09/30/11 18:13 PM (PDT)

2011 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Premium 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I bought my 201 Subaru legacy 2.5L premium CVT auto tranny three months ago. I have previously owned a 2010 Subaru Forester and I love it. Legacy.. not so much. The car is comfortable, nice looking and fun to drive but it appears to have some sort of transmission problem. It jerkes a little when I hit the brakes (somewhat like the ABS kickign-in on icy road but not so severe). Its mild and lasts for like a second and it happens more when I have the AC on. The dealer says its normal with this model of Legacy. I called Subaru, and got the same answer. I really feel like i bought a lemon! I really wish I hadn't purchased this car. I mean it is a brand new car!!

Like the car but some oddball early issues
By wmasubie11 on 09/23/11 09:31 AM (PDT)

2011 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

The interior front driver's sill trim recently popped up and won't stay down (will address that on next service). Bridgestone tires leave much to be desired. Noisy, and at 4,800 miles I had to replace one due to a non-repairable punture. I then found out these tires are very pricey ($175), don't have a good wear rating (260), and on Tire Rack on a scale of 1-10 only 1.9 said they would buy again. Got a check engine light on a trip and Subaru had the car towed. In the end it was a ripped gas filler gasket that caused the problem, but the dealer in Upstate NY said they've seen more and more of this issue. A nice car but Subaru has some work to do to get it to the next level.

2011 Subaru Legacy Drivers Side Window Malfunction
By nwusa on 09/12/11 11:01 AM (PDT)

2011 Subaru Legacy Sedan 3.6R Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

We ordered this car October 2010 and it was delivered November 2010. Within the first couple of weeks (December 2010), the drivers side electric window, began to malfunction. 1. Window (inside door panel) would make a "ping" "clunk" sound, and engine idle is affected. 2. When drivers window is down, on occasion the window cannot be made to roll itself back up without multiple attempts, but always does roll up. (2-12 attempts). 3. The drivers window will on occasion roll down completely on it's own. On one occasion the window has done this when it was only partly up. Usually when driving and window all the way up. New switch and then motor did not solve problem.

2011 Legacy 2.5L Limited
By glee88 on 08/23/11 12:21 PM (PDT)

2011 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

My car has 2,500 on it now. It drives nicely and has a superior ride. I have a young child and the access is commendable. The 2.5L is sluggish but is enough; it doesn't match the soothness or quietness of the Toyota and Honda engines. MPG with the CVT is good. I had to bring this car to a tire shop because of a leaky tire bead and the factory Bridgestone tires exhibited significant road noise at highway speeds. The hood shakes at highway speeds and when going over a bump. The AC struggles on hot days; getting the windows tinted helped. Visibility is excellent. Overall a very good vehicle if one can put up with those few minor issues.

First time Subaru owner!
By megann22 on 07/29/11 09:14 AM (PDT)

2011 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I'm a first-time Subaru owner and loving every minute of it! I've been a Ford girl for most of my life (3 Mustang GT's) and was ready to trade out my 2005 Explorer for a larger SUV- Expedition or Tahoe/Yukon. However with the crazy gas prices, my husband convinced me to check out the Toyota Venza. When I arrived at the dealership to check out a year-old Venza, I spied the most gorgeous car and was FLOORED to find out it was a Legacy! I drove it and was hooked! My car turns heads everywhere I go and handles like a dream. I don't miss my big SUV at all. It helps me recapture the sportiness that i've been missing all these years, while still hauling my family. I couldn't love it more!

Loving My Legacy
By kmarkell1 on 07/25/11 21:42 PM (PDT)

2011 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Premium 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I recently purchased a Subaru Legacy Premium with the All Weather Package. I am a college student (who needed AWD) and I absolutely love my new car. I visited the Toyota, Honda, Hyundai and Subaru dealerships no less than 3 times each before finally picking the Legacy and I have no regrets. It is a great value and performs nicely. Good handling, very comfortable, decent acceleration for the engine size, very quiet going down the road and I have yet to experience the AC/Heater and "shimmy" problems that some of the other people have written about. However, I have experienced a little rough shifting in the automatic mode but its not horribly noticeable or overly concerning. I LOVE this car!

First Time Subaru Owner
By legacy2011 on 07/20/11 13:40 PM (PDT)

2011 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Premium 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Never had a Subaru before til now, looking forward to driving this car in the Ohio winters we get. 1,600 miles in the car is performing fine, the CVT takes some time to get used to especially if you are coming from a V6. The car lacks power when you get stopped at a light briefly and then you have to accelerate. I feel that the CVT does get better as the engine breaks in and you drive it more. Gas mileage for city has been around 24-24.6(according to the optimistic computer). Haven't driven much highway miles to comment on the epa estimate. The AC could be better, I feel it doesn't cool the car down as well as it should. The interior is very spacious for driver and back seat passengers

Nice car, but one issue
By dtom1 on 07/13/11 07:04 AM (PDT)

2011 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Premium 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I bought it in January of 2011 and so far it's great. It is fun to drive, has lots of grip and feels a lot safe inside. Now the issue. When the car's engine is hot and as it move backwards with the AC on and no gas pedal applied, the engine vibrates a lot as if it's coming to stop, but at the next moment it comes back to normal.The engine sound also changes drastically when the car moves from idle in forward or reverse direction with the AC on. I've also noticed that when I'm idling at a traffic signal with the AC on, the engine is coming to a stop, but at the next moment it comes back to normal. There is no problem when the AC is not on and when the car attains speed with the AC on.

Love this car!!
By birrell111 on 05/30/11 09:23 AM (PDT)

2011 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Premium 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Solid roomy car... quality build and great looks. A winner.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2011 Subaru Legacy Sedan in WA is:

$131 per month*