2011 Subaru Legacy Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
Like the car but some oddball early issues
By wmasubie11 on 09/23/11 09:31 AM (PDT)

2011 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

The interior front driver's sill trim recently popped up and won't stay down (will address that on next service). Bridgestone tires leave much to be desired. Noisy, and at 4,800 miles I had to replace one due to a non-repairable punture. I then found out these tires are very pricey ($175), don't have a good wear rating (260), and on Tire Rack on a scale of 1-10 only 1.9 said they would buy again. Got a check engine light on a trip and Subaru had the car towed. In the end it was a ripped gas filler gasket that caused the problem, but the dealer in Upstate NY said they've seen more and more of this issue. A nice car but Subaru has some work to do to get it to the next level.

2011 Legacy 2.5L Limited
By glee88 on 08/23/11 12:21 PM (PDT)

2011 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

My car has 2,500 on it now. It drives nicely and has a superior ride. I have a young child and the access is commendable. The 2.5L is sluggish but is enough; it doesn't match the soothness or quietness of the Toyota and Honda engines. MPG with the CVT is good. I had to bring this car to a tire shop because of a leaky tire bead and the factory Bridgestone tires exhibited significant road noise at highway speeds. The hood shakes at highway speeds and when going over a bump. The AC struggles on hot days; getting the windows tinted helped. Visibility is excellent. Overall a very good vehicle if one can put up with those few minor issues.

First time Subaru owner!
By megann22 on 07/29/11 09:14 AM (PDT)

2011 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I'm a first-time Subaru owner and loving every minute of it! I've been a Ford girl for most of my life (3 Mustang GT's) and was ready to trade out my 2005 Explorer for a larger SUV- Expedition or Tahoe/Yukon. However with the crazy gas prices, my husband convinced me to check out the Toyota Venza. When I arrived at the dealership to check out a year-old Venza, I spied the most gorgeous car and was FLOORED to find out it was a Legacy! I drove it and was hooked! My car turns heads everywhere I go and handles like a dream. I don't miss my big SUV at all. It helps me recapture the sportiness that i've been missing all these years, while still hauling my family. I couldn't love it more!

Serious Design Flaw Not Resolved in 2011 Model
By electricity1 on 05/24/11 21:20 PM (PDT)

2011 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

The Subaru Legacy was plagued with design issues after its redesign in 2010 and unfortunately these have not been resolved in the 2011 model. Many of these cars (along with the Outbacks) have a "shimmy" issue at highway speeds and if you bring this to the dealer's attention, they will apply an extensive technical service bulletin (TSB 05-48-10) which is essentially a redesign to the car. After I had this applied the car had serious vibration issues and swaying at highway speeds, along with pulling to either side. Subaru refuses to acknowledge that there is anything wrong with the car after this fix was applied. Google "subaru legacy shimmy" and read the 64 pages of posts! Stay FAR away!!

Sweet Subie (Part Deux)
By drq on 04/10/11 14:06 PM (PDT)

2011 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

This is my second Subie-my first was an '04 Forester XT fun to drive but wasn't too economical-but never failed me in 7 years and 120K miles. I was willing to forgo getting my head snapped back for better MPG's and after 2K miles Iím averaging 29.2 overall (Regular!). This time around got all the bells and whistles and couldn't be happier, never realized how noisy my XT was until now. The interior is well apportioned the leather seating is glove soft and heated-the stereo plain rocks. The back seat is big enough for two boosters and a baby seat. CVT took a little used to but once the engine was broken in you can get higher revs and satisfactory stop light acceleration. $26K @ 0.9% Awesome!

Air Flow and Media Hub problems?
By legacy66 on 04/02/11 13:50 PM (PDT)

2011 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

This is my first subaru - shortly after I had made my decisions to purchase an Acura, I stumbles across a Subaru dealership and was totally sold on the Legacy. I do have 2 concerns/problems I'm wondering if anyone else is having...? The heater/ac airflow on the floor only setting pushes out way more air from the dash/windshield defroster. This is particularly irritating on a cold, sunny day. The upper part of the car becomes too hot, and the lower part where your feet are is too cold. I also had a media hub installed for my IPod and it makes a clicking noise whenever I play it in the car. I've had the car serviced and they tell me both issues "are working as designed". ???

SERIOUS STRUCTURAL ISSUES!--LEGACY
By snowboarder155 on 01/05/11 06:02 AM (PST)

2011 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

The hood of this car collapsed in the center after an average snowstorm we had from just 21 inches of snow (that's less than 2 ft!). I just purchased this car less than 3 weeks ago and it is a brand new 2011 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited Model. Subaru will not fix, even with all of the pictures I took and the police report I got that clearly says that this car was parked safely in a driveway, where nothing could've fallen on it, and the hood collapsed from just 21 inches of snow. Also the customer service was horrible! They were absolutely mean to me about this where I did nothing to cause this. I believe this car has a serious structural issue and I will be seeing Subaru in court!

2011 2.5 Limited with moonroof
By dlb14frost on 12/28/10 12:57 PM (PST)

2011 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Have the Subaru for a week now and have racked up over 650 miles. Expressway and back country roads were all handled quite well. Car is sure footed and the cvt is so smooth with good acceleration. So far it seems to be doing quite well in the fuel economy department as well. Haven't had in snow yet (the recent blizzard) missed us.

Grown Up
By Alan B Antill Jr on 11/27/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2011 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

This is my 3rd Subaru. My previous two; 2002 WRX, and 2007 WRX TR. I was looking at an STI. The Legacy's price changed my mind. While the 2.5i Legacy cannot compare to the outright rush of driving a WRX, the car is plenty peppy enough for daily driving. The handling is a pleasant surprise for a car this large (the largest I've owned). I expected buyers remorse to set in, but every time I drive it, I like it more. I haven't pushed it, because I'm still in the break in stage. The car has a solid, stable feel, and plenty of amenities. It is a grown-up car instead of a boy rocket. The CVT has grown on me. I rarely use the paddle shifters, mostly to save braking down long grades.

1st Subaru
By Todd on 09/04/10 09:45 AM (PDT)

2011 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

This is my first Subaru. Downsized from a GMC Yukon. My objective was to get better gas mileage and still have a capable vehicle to handle the NE Ohio winters, while still having a fun experience that won't break the bank. So far so good, we have a family of 5 that fits well (booster and car seats). The styling and performance creates a fun commute no mention making daily sales calls and being on the road all day! Leather, homelink, bluetooth and the HK stereo are all awesome.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2011 Subaru Legacy Sedan in VA is:

$115 per month*