Used 2011 Subaru Legacy Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

2011 Subaru Legacy Sedan

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

5 Year Review - Accelerating Misery
By foonman_2000

2011 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Premium 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Is there a limit to how much you can hate your car? After trying to get the dealer to fix the “Subaru Shimmy” for two years didn’t help the relationship. After ten emails to SOA, I gave up. The car simply has never handled well. With each passing year other unpleasant features of the car are started to surface. Cheap interior, uncomfortable seats, poor heating and cooling, weird brakes come to mind. Not to mention the CVT. While driving over a mountain pass, every light on dash board lit up and the car just stopped dead. This was at 44K miles (covered under power train). How could Subaru make a car this bad?

Favorite Features

AWD I guess. OEM Tires are pretty good compared to other new cars I've owned.

Suggested Improvements

Better: CVT, Steering, Brakes, Handling, Interior Materials, Better Seat Comfort, better radio, better ext. paint, service, support from SOA. Styling in fact, better everything.

Best in Snow
By jonster1

2011 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Premium 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

After three years of driving and three blizzards, this car has proven itself and come out a winner. Driving in snow and ice is far less scary with the AWD. You never feel like you'll lose control. The car itself feels solid. A nice "ka-thunk" when you close the door. There are no squeaks, and everything works properly. I moved to a hilly neighborhood and I'm at the top. My old car (BMW 528i) could not even make it up a small grade in the snow. The Subaru climbs the hill to my house like a mountain goat. Very impressive.

Favorite Features

The AWD traction. Build Quality. Roomy - backseat can fit 3 6-footers. Reliability. Resale Value.

Suggested Improvements

The CVT transmission takes a little getting used to. You can actually shift using the accelerator and get more torque by giving it the gas, then backing off the gas pedal a bit and then reapplying pressure to the pedal. The car shoots off like a rocket. (You can also use the paddle shifters, but I like this way.)

The $20K Mercedes
By jonster2

2011 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

My Legacy's about to go off-lease after 3 years and I still don't see many of this new design on the road. Last week I had to use my father's 2001 Outback and I'm astounded at how well they've redone it. These cars have a long history of reliability. They are practically maintenance-free. Now that they're full-size, I finally found myself in one and I'm glad I did. I traded in my '97 BMW 528i after too many winters spent without traction control (in the Northeast). When I moved to the top of a hill, I knew I needed AWD. I researched Subaru and found they are the only car manufactured by Fuji Industries in Japan. It is a dream to drive and I never feel unsafe anymore.

Favorite Features

The quality of the ride is cushy and the seats are very comfortable. There is more leg and headroom than I had in the BMW. It's quite surprising how roomy the car is. The gas mileage for such a large car is admirable. It's still an rarity on the road. You just don't see that many of them. People are surprised it's a Subaru because it's now the size of a Camry or Accord and has a racier look to it. The car just feels like it's well-made. It rides like it's on rails in snow, rain or sunny weather. It transmits a steady feel of the road under all conditions, absorbing bumps and potholes like a champ.

Suggested Improvements

The CVT took some getting used to. I've learned to "shift" it with the accelerator. CVT is the norm now among many newer cars. It is like a marine transmission. The low front end air dam hits the curb too easily. Why do they make bumpers that chip and scrape so easily now?

2011 Subaru with 54,000 mileage
By jonster1

2011 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I do not like the CVT transmission on this car but it seems to be the wave of the future. Other than that, this car has taken me through two brutal winters where the snow would normally keep me from my driveway on top of a steep hill. With the Legacy (I traded in a BMW 528i), I have no problems making it up that hill. There is nothing like the traction of a Subaru in snow and rain. I love this car and plan on buying it when it comes off lease in another few months. For $24K, I got the Winter Package and a sunroof. I think it's an amazing value. A $20K Mercedes.

Favorite Features

Symmetrical AWD. Amazing headroom and legroom, especially for the rear seat passengers -- it's like a limo back there. The car is very quiet when driven normally, and I never worry about driving in snow or rain, which for me is very reassuring.

Suggested Improvements

The CVT is noisy but if you learn to drive it, you can actually use the accelerator to "shift" the car and provide more torque, instead of just whining up through the CVT range. I am not a fan of the low overhang on the front end. It's scraped up from hitting curbs.

Choose the 3.6over the 2.5i, you won't be sorry!
By wnbafan1

2011 Subaru Legacy Sedan 3.6R Premium 4dr Sedan AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I first bought the 2011 Legacy 2.5i Sedan. The engine is too small for the car. It is very loud and whines incessantly over 50 mph. I realized I was never going to be happy with that model. I owned a Legacy many years ago, and loved everything about it. I've wanted another ever since. Anyway... I traded the 2.5i for the 3.6r Premium Legacy sedan and I couldn't be happier! The difference is like night and day regarding the ride. The 3.6R is smoother and quieter; the perfect engine for the car. Yes, it is more money, but the difference in the ride is well worth it.

Favorite Features

Smooth ride, comfort, quietness of the ride, lumbar support, handling

Suggested Improvements

Make remote start standard on all models. No one wants to run out in the cold to start their car. Foglights should be standard. Subaru's are known as an all weather car; fog lights are a necessity.