2011 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
Best in Snow
By jonster1 on 01/21/14 13:50 PM (PST)

2011 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

After three years of driving and three blizzards, this car has proven itself and come out a winner. Driving in snow and ice is far less scary with the AWD. You never feel like you'll lose control. The car itself feels solid. A nice "ka-thunk" when you close the door. There are no squeaks, and everything works properly. I moved to a hilly neighborhood and I'm at the top. My old car (BMW 528i) could not even make it up a small grade in the snow. The Subaru climbs the hill to my house like a mountain goat. Very impressive.

The $20K Mercedes
By jonster2 on 08/09/13 12:38 PM (PDT)

2011 Subaru Legacy 2.5i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

My Legacy's about to go off-lease after 3 years and I still don't see many of this new design on the road. Last week I had to use my father's 2001 Outback and I'm astounded at how well they've redone it. These cars have a long history of reliability. They are practically maintenance-free. Now that they're full-size, I finally found myself in one and I'm glad I did. I traded in my '97 BMW 528i after too many winters spent without traction control (in the Northeast). When I moved to the top of a hill, I knew I needed AWD. I researched Subaru and found they are the only car manufactured by Fuji Industries in Japan. It is a dream to drive and I never feel unsafe anymore.

2011 Subaru with 54,000 mileage
By jonster1 on 06/27/13 12:54 PM (PDT)

2011 Subaru Legacy 2.5i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I do not like the CVT transmission on this car but it seems to be the wave of the future. Other than that, this car has taken me through two brutal winters where the snow would normally keep me from my driveway on top of a steep hill. With the Legacy (I traded in a BMW 528i), I have no problems making it up that hill. There is nothing like the traction of a Subaru in snow and rain. I love this car and plan on buying it when it comes off lease in another few months. For $24K, I got the Winter Package and a sunroof. I think it's an amazing value. A $20K Mercedes.

Choose the 3.6over the 2.5i, you won't be sorry!
By wnbafan1 on 02/23/13 09:41 AM (PST)

2011 Subaru Legacy 3.6R Premium 4dr Sedan AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I first bought the 2011 Legacy 2.5i Sedan. The engine is too small for the car. It is very loud and whines incessantly over 50 mph. I realized I was never going to be happy with that model. I owned a Legacy many years ago, and loved everything about it. I've wanted another ever since. Anyway... I traded the 2.5i for the 3.6r Premium Legacy sedan and I couldn't be happier! The difference is like night and day regarding the ride. The 3.6R is smoother and quieter; the perfect engine for the car. Yes, it is more money, but the difference in the ride is well worth it.

Overall good not perfect
By billfeet on 01/04/13 13:09 PM (PST)

2011 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I have 52K on my Legacy, it rides and handles well, the 2.5 id underpowered if you like quick acceleration but is is good for daily driving and parkway acceleration. Th plus to its power is I get 28 MPG mixed driving with AWD. The heated seat switch is in a horrible spor next to the shifter and unwanted hot seats in summer result. The interior vinyl is cheap needing a warranty replacement before 1 year on the armrest and already wearing through the replacement. Same is true for the door vinyl but has not worn out due to less constant arm pressure. The stock radio is a little weak, get the upgrade. Overall I like the car good snow performance and reliable,spend the extra on the limited

Performance good - navigation SUCKS!
By efeld on 07/29/12 14:17 PM (PDT)

2011 Subaru Legacy 2.5i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Overall, the important things in the Subaru Legacy are good. Performance, great handling in snow, comfort. However, "leather" on driver's seat is coming apart after just one year. The big problem with this car is the navigation. Do NOT get navigation. I have to use my Garmin because the Subaru's navigation is a crap shoot on whether it will find the right destination. Couldn't find Boston, yes, that's right Boston! Couldn't find our local FedEx office, etc. I tested the Gramin on the same addresses and it had no problems. Also, whoever designed it has no clue - interface is about as user UNfriendly as possible. Voice recognition doesn't work either.

Very Roomy Sedan
By fisheagle on 06/07/12 10:32 AM (PDT)

2011 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

From start i filed a complaint at the dealership about the car poor road handling.The car bounced on the road the suspension felt harsh.Dealership argued "there is nothing wrong with the car"A letter to SOA head office did not produce any results.I took it upon myself to replace the shock absorbers at nearly 20k miles there were clear signs of wear on tear on the struts.Much to my surprise the struts was the same company that supplied the OEM front and rear struts!The handling increased marginally.The rear end still bounces.The idle drops to below 500 rpm when coming to stop.Uneven idling.Going down hill cruise control does not work. Dealer nothing wrong with car.My last Subaru!

2nd Subaru and it just isn't the same
By dssquare85 on 03/04/12 10:16 AM (PST)

2011 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

This is technically my 2nd Subaru. My first Subaru was an '05 Saab (Saabaru) 9-2x Aero. I have owned my '11 2.5i Premium since May '11 and have about 7,000 miles. It took me a while to get used to the difference in size and power compared to my 9-2x. The power is more than adequate 90% of the time. My mpg is not what the ratings state. I was getting 23.5 when I first got the car but now I'm down to 21.9 for the life of the vehicle according to the trip computer. I don't have a heavy foot like I did with my 9-2x. I'll attribute the decrease in mileage to the hills of Staten Island, NY. Car is quiet and has been reliable with the exception of the 2 recalls in 4 months of having the car.

Best AWD midsize sedan available
By bchguy111 on 02/01/12 09:46 AM (PST)

2011 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I've owned my 2011 Legacy since May 2011. It has exceeded my expectations. It's much peppier then the numbers suggest and I get great mileage. It get compliments on the exterior all the time, with everyone assuming the car is much more expensive. I sold the owner of a restaurant I have been going to for over 12 years a 2012 Legacy based on the looks and positive feedback on mine. The car handles great and is very stable and smooth at highway speeds. Amazing in wet weather. The interior is modern, but clean, and has loads of space. Plus, with the standard AWD, it drives much more solid then any Honda, Toyota, Nissan... I've had 6 Subarus and counting. Drive one and you will see why.

The best car I've ever owned!!
By thefishingone on 01/15/12 12:28 PM (PST)

2011 Subaru Legacy 3.6R Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I got my Legacy slightly used with only 4200 miles on it. I think this is the best car I've ever owned!!! I couldn't be happier with my decision. The interior is beautiful with the black leather and the seats are extremely comfortable. The ride is smooth and quiet and the power is amazing. The engine shifts through gears so smooth you don't even notice unless you keep an eye on the RPM's. If you even have a hint of buying this car, please do yourself a favor and BUY IT!! This is the best mid sized car out there, believe me, I looked around.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2011 Subaru Legacy in VA is:

$105 per month*