Used 2010 Subaru Legacy Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

2010 Subaru Legacy Sedan

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

Nice car but a couple of fine tune thing
By frenchguy007

2010 Subaru Legacy Sedan 3.6R Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

Great ride, this is a driver's car. Love the 4 wheel drive system and the handling. Interior is very nice and the doors close like a Benz. Storage bin in the center console is really small for no reason (storage bin tapers smaller). Even though I have close to the top if the line model my satellite antenna is not on the roof but glued to the inside front glass (top passenger side). Give us a push start option on future models please.

Favorite Features

Drive and handling. Looks more upscale than most in this segment.

Suggested Improvements

Make storage areas as big as possible, don't make my almost top of the line car look so cheap by gluing the satellite antenna to the inside glass, put the antenna on the roof like all the other manufacturers.

Plain girls dance last
By RW

2010 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Premium 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

You're always hoping for the knockout looking girl to have on your arm or, in this case, the best looking/performing/reliable car to own. The Legacy is not the worst or ugliest but far from thrilling. Maybe that's what the manufacturer had in mind? The car lacks panache. My 2.5 engine is underpowered. It's okay for most daily driving chores but not thrilling to drive. The CVT is fine, handling is better than average, seats are 'okay'. Everything about the car is 'okay' but uninspiring. Then again when one ponies up less than $25K for a new car, what can one expect except what the Legacy provides? I'm okay with the purchase but far from a raving fan who can't wait to re-buy.

Favorite Features

Awd of course. Were it not for awd, I doubt the car would have gotten my attention/consideration in the first place. CVT is nice and different as is the boxer engine. The paddle shifters are unique, sort of, but seldom used.

Suggested Improvements

More POWER! The car hums along but has no real passing power with the 2.5 170 hp engine. I now see where Hyundai has a similar sized engine delivering about 200 hp and similar mileage ratings as the Subie. Why was Subaru sleeping on this issue?

Best Subaru ever
By subieluver

2010 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Premium 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

This is my wife and my fourth Legacy. All have been exceptionally reliable and competent, but Subaru has hit the ball out of the park with the new car. Interior room on the 2010 is outstanding. No longer do you have to give up space to drive a Legacy. Also the CVT transmission is awesome on the highway. NO ONE makes an AWD car that will achieve the highway mileage like this Subaru. We were already sold on Subarus, this being our fifth, but in our first 6 weeks of ownership I can say we like this one best of all. All that remains to be seen is winter performance, but with all the Subaru AWD engineering under its belt, I doubt we'll have much to worry about when the white stuff starts.

Favorite Features

Interior room, Extremely smooth tranny and ride Gas mileage for AWD car. Improved front and rear leg room over previous generation. The best sedan for the money on the road.

Suggested Improvements

none

Horribly disappointed
By john

2010 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Premium 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

After years of Honda loyalty I cannot believe this clunker is how I satisfy my Subaru dream. Like numerous other posts I too experience the road drift at highway speeds as well as the vibration. My headliner has been replaced as has my barely mediocre radio due to defects. Occasionally my "new" radio will not turn on at all. The car often "slams" into reverse, and constantly hesitates from a dead stop. Car nearly stalls whenever I brake hard, idle, or turn the AC up to max, which is still inadequate and insufficient to keep my baby girl cool in the back seat. Local dealer attributes the RPM drop to strain on the electric system.Really. Expensive maintenance reduces value.

Favorite Features

All wheel drive, overall design, and reformatted interior were enough to make me love the car. Mileage is as advertised and I find the seats comfortable and easily manipulated. Just the right amount of bells and whistles, and overall fun to drive, except for the various issues above.

Suggested Improvements

Better more reliable base music system. Remove paddle shifters from steering wheel (worthless while turning). Fix the highway handling issues and transmission flaws. Standard 100,000 mile warranty since this model has obvious issues! Mandatory 2 week test drive. Fix the AC or don't sell in SC

First Nine Months have been Great !
By Joe

2010 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I liked this car from the start, though I was looking for something more sporty. My interior needs centered around my family of four. The Legacy has plenty of room. Subarus are still iron clad reliable (we owned a '95 Impreza - and loved it). The east coast blizzards of 2010 put this baby to the test and she passed easily. I utilized the shift paddles throughout. In normal weather, I opt for the CVT and I can attest to the improved economy in this mode.

Favorite Features

AWD, shiftable 6 spd/CVT, Handling (compared to similar sedans), reliability, and ruggedness. This car is the all-round champ of its class and price range.

Suggested Improvements

Lose the electronic parking brake - no problems so far, but its the only vulnerable area I can see. The seats are comfortable for short/moderate trips, but I would not log 8 hours in this car without a long break. My Volvo and Avalon beat out this car for trip comfort. Still, the Legacy does well